Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple web based database - options?

Options
  • 09-03-2021 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello All,
    I'm doing a bit of volunteering for a residents association and we would like to create a private membership database to get away from M$ Access.

I'm thinking of hosting it on my private web server and just giving access to the 2 other people who need it via VPN or static IP/firewall filtering.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a basic turnkey solution that meets the following needs:

Php/MySQL or wordPress or similar?

Tbl_MemberDetails

- MemberNumber (Primary key, autonumber preferred)
    - Name (or family name)
    - HouseNumber
    - Road (lookup to another table or predefined list)
    - Is house number an odd or even value? (Yes/No)
    - EmailAddress
    - HomePhone
    - MobilePhone
    - Paid 2021? (Yes/No)
    - Fulfillment Status (New/Card Printed/Card Sent)
    - ?? Is Road Rep ?? - link to Tbl_RoadReps? (Yes/No)

Tbl_Roads

- RoadName (primary Key)
    - RoadRep (lookup to RoadRep table? or predefined list)

Tbl_RoadReps

- Name
    - Roads_Covered (maybe more than one, lookup to Roads)
    - phone,email,etc (basic info)
    ** RoadRep will always be already a member - maybe link to member table?

Data entry = Basic forms, nothing too fancy needed.
    Search/Query:
    Find Member based on X, Y, Z? Basic select query.
    Find all Members on a road?
    Find all Members on a road with an odd/even house number (one side of road)?
    Filter based on Fulfillment Status?
    MailMerge - Perhaps just download CSV based on filters applied.
    Public access? No - hosted privately, not linked to existing site.

As I'm typing I'm actually just thinking that the requirements are not as simple as I might have thought!

I'm messing with "admidio" currently, but the search features are not great ^ I just can't get what I want. We have about 700 records.

Any other suggestions?

Basic M$ Access has been good till now, but it's time to move on!

I'm sorry, I can't do coding... :-(

Thanks,
    - R7

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

How many households are we talking about here? If you're not a coder, I wouldn't recommend the MySQL route, as you would have to find or write (and maintain) the front end. MS Access was a great tool for combining both, but theres no real (free) alternative these days

Would a well organised spreadsheet work? Each of the tables would become a tab in the spreadsheet, and pretty much all of what you describe is do-able

• Registered Users Posts: 43 R75MM

Spocker wrote: »
    How many households are we talking about here? If you're not a coder, I wouldn't recommend the MySQL route, as you would have to find or write (and maintain) the front end. MS Access was a great tool for combining both, but theres no real (free) alternative these days

Would a well organised spreadsheet work? Each of the tables would become a tab in the spreadsheet, and pretty much all of what you describe is do-able

Thanks for your reply.
    About 700 rows (or houses).
    I've exported it into an Excel sheet there now alright and that's fine, basic filters, dropdowns etc.

However our chairman would not be very computer literate and Excel is a struggle for them to be honest. M$ Access gives great 'report' views which we find very helpful.

A lot of the CRM systems (opensource) out there "REQUIRE" you to enter certain fields for each record - in some cases we don't have full names or email addresses which a lot of CRM systems require.

Another mate just suggested Google Sheets; however I would be worried about putting identifiable information up on the cloud (GDPR etc) hence I would prefer to keep on my private cloud (proxmox). I think (not sure) Google Sheets is a copy of Excel though.

It sounds like I'm out of luck - stick with Access or be damned!

- R7

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Google Sheets is just Googles version of Excel, and you're correct, it's all online, and would be attached to a specific Google account.
    R75MM wrote: »
    However our chairman would not be very computer literate and Excel is a struggle for them to be honest. M$ Access gives great 'report' views which we find very helpful.

A lot of the CRM systems (opensource) out there "REQUIRE" you to enter certain fields for each record - in some cases we don't have full names or email addresses which a lot of CRM systems require.

You could just enter dummy data for the info you don't have, it'd be easy enough to do that in Access, before you export. If you do go down the spreadsheet route, its straightforward to setup filtering in advance (who paid/didn't pay) and lock the sheet in a way that it's reasonably foolproof. You can generate pretty reports too, if thats what you really need here

• Registered Users Posts: 43 R75MM

Spocker wrote: »
    Google Sheets is just Googles version of Excel, and you're correct, it's all online, and would be attached to a specific Google account.

You could just enter dummy data for the info you don't have, it'd be easy enough to do that in Access, before you export. If you do go down the spreadsheet route, its straightforward to setup filtering in advance (who paid/didn't pay) and lock the sheet in a way that it's reasonably foolproof. You can generate pretty reports too, if thats what you really need here

Cheers - I think i was just hoping for a 'turnkey' solution :-)
    Thanks anyway.... We will keep sharing this encrypted USB key for now!!

Advertisement