Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic shavings from Salt and Pepper Shaker

Options
  • 09-03-2021 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I bought salt and pepper mills from a well known supermarket about a month ago. I noticed that some of the ‘salt’ was coming out in thin strips and on a closer look saw that it’s not salt at all - but plastic shavings from the mill itself. Kind of disgusted that I’ve been eating plastic but I’d be happy with a refund and a low value voucher - but I’d also like for those products to be taken off the shelf as I see no reason why this issue applies to my mill only. They’re clearly not fit for food prep use.

The retailer is not taking it seriously. The mills were empty on purchasing them, so I’m not sure it’s appropriate to contact the FSAI? Who could I bring this to next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

of course it would be an issue for FSAI. that's exactly what they are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Was there not instructions to wash and clean the containers before use?
    Most containers or items for food preparation do say to clean and wash before using.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭inisfree0504

rock22 wrote: »
    Was there not instructions to wash and clean the containers before use?
    Most containers or items for food preparation do say to clean and wash before using.

Honestly I’m not sure what the instructions said but I certainly did wash them before use. You’re misunderstanding the nature of the issue though. The grinder part in them is plastic, and it’s shaving off bits of itself. Washed or not it’s immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭inisfree0504

of course it would be an issue for FSAI. that's exactly what they are for.

Really? My point is that they’re not ‘food’ so I’m not sure it’s within the FSAI’s jurisdiction so to speak. It is the same sort of thing as buying a plate and finding it left splinters of glass in your food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just ask them https://www.fsai.ie/about_us/contact_us.html .

No need to make a full report unless they say they are interested in looking into it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

You said the grinders were empty so it’s the Competition and consumer protection commission (CCPC) and not the FSAI you raise this matter with.

Advertisement