Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buckleys Stores Academy Street

Options
  • 10-03-2021 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

We were wondering if anybody on these forums can remember the year when Buckleys Stores ( Millstreet) opened in Academy Street.
    I think it ceased trading in the 80s?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

wackokid wrote: »
    We were wondering if anybody on these forums can remember the year when Buckleys Stores ( Millstreet) opened in Academy Street.

I reckon Buckleys Stores probably closed just prior to the ESB Retail Shop transferring from the building that would later become Eason Booksellers on Patrick Street to Academy Street. (Incidentally, Eason's only moved a few doors up from their previous premises on Patrick Street) We had purchased a new electric cooker around 1986 from ESB on Patrick Street and I reckon the store moved within 12-24months which would suggest ESB in situ on Academy Street by 1987-1988 timeframe. Aer Lingus had a ticket shop near Permanent TSB Bank on Patrick Street which also moved to a unit that was also probably part of Buckleys Stores site on Academy Street. Cork Examiner/Evening Echo newspaper print & publishing was overhead I suspect.

Below is a website link (if you wish to copy & paste) showing some old advertisements from Buckleys Store Christmas Catalogue from 1969 which came within the popular "Woman's Way" ladies magazine and includes a photo of some staff members outside it's former Academy Street, Cork City premises!

https://brandnewretro.ie/2013/12/07/buckleys-store-cork-christmas-supplement-1969/

https://www.echolive.ie/nostalgia/arid-40195878.html

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Thanks a lot Await Your Reply.
    I see we have established they were open in 1969 but I suspect
    they opened well before that year.
    Problem is those old enough to remember are unlikely to travel
    in cyber space.
    The search goes on, but thanks for your help.

Thanks a lot Await Your Reply.
    I see we have established they were open in 1969 but I suspect
    they opened well before that year.
    Problem is those old enough to remember are unlikely to travel
    in cyber space.
    The search goes on, but thanks for your help.

One of the family members Patrick Buckley (1940-2009) originally of Millstreet, County Cork joined the business in the 1950's and was there until it's demise in during the 1980's recession.

(See below link obituary piece)
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/much-loved-family-man-respected-for-his-work-in-addiction-treatment-and-services-27388675.html

You may have better luck by going through some of the Old Street & Trade Directories compiled in bygone years and although; it won't tell you the exact date the respective business commenced operation at it's particular location it still may assist you in your wider research.

Below link will provide you with Street and Trade DIRECTORIES from Cork Past And Present.ie

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

One of the family members Patrick Buckley (1940-2009) originally of Millstreet, County Cork joined the business in the 1950's and was there until it's demise in during the 1980's recession.

(See below link obituary piece)
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/much-loved-family-man-respected-for-his-work-in-addiction-treatment-and-services-27388675.html

You may have better luck by going through some of the Old Street & Trade Directories compiled in bygone years and although; it won't tell you the exact date the respective business commenced operation at it's particular location it still may assist you in your wider research.

Below link will provide you with Street and Trade DIRECTORIES from Cork Past And Present.ie

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/

You are very kind. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

I have a vague memory of going to Santa I thought it was Buckleys and they had a Deer in the window I was told it was a Rheindeer that might have been circa 1966 or I could be confusing it with Jeyes which I think had a sort of a slide where you entered Santas Grotto but i cant remember where Jeyes actually was :)

• Advertisement

discostu1 wrote: »
    I have a vague memory of going to Santa I thought it was Buckleys and they had a Deer in the window I was told it was a Rheindeer that might have been circa 1966 or I could be confusing it with Jeyes which I think had a sort of a slide where you entered Santas Grotto but i cant remember where Jeyes actually was :)

Sounds like you were brought to Santa at Buckleys Store in Cork alright!

See below web link of an article published on 24/12/2020 in the Echo newspaper.

You are very kind. Much appreciated.

Back in the early 1970's Buckleys Stores (described as a Hardware and general merchants & builders) operation at Coomlogane Street Millstreet, County Cork was the second largest employer in the Millstreet region. A total of 80 employees which when broken down was 74 male / 6 female.

Below is a copy of the Millstreet-Development-Plan-1973.pdf which included Buckleys Stores at the time!

http://corkcocoplans.ie/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/2016/07/Millstreet-Development-Plan-1973.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Sounds like you were brought to Santa at Buckleys Store in Cork alright!

See below web link of an article published on 24/12/2020 in the Echo newspaper.

Thanks for that lots of memories there with Kilgrews or the Shilling stores as it was known

Ah you had a lot of change during between late 1970s thru to the late 1980's in Cork City Centre.

Some examples include:

Savoy Cinema converted into Savoy Shopping Centre circa 1977
    Cork Regional Hospital (later Cork University Hospital (CUH) first opens it campus in Wilton in 1978
    Wilton Shopping Centre opened circa Nov/Dec 1979 with Roches Stores, Quinnsworth, Lifestyle as anchor tenants.
    Munster Arcade Department Store ends it's life and Penney's Store (Primark) transfers from it's previous base at the Queen's Old Castle down to former Munster Arcade location.
    Queens Old Castle converted into Shopping Centre including Mary Rose Cafe in central area (similar to Mary Rose layout in Savoy Centre) Hickey's Fabrics upstairs (also in Savoy Centre), Joe Mac's, Mirror Mirror, Burgerland etc;
    Apple Computers opens it's first Irish base in Hollyhill in Cork circa 1980
    Woodford Bourne converts much of it's ground floor premises at Daunt Square into MANDY'S fast food restaurant (now McDonald's)
    Dwyer & Co. of Washington Street closed down after 160 years (1820-1980) - 6,000 people were employed at Dwyer's at it's peak across it's various interests which included: Dwyer & Co of Washington Street, the Lee Boot factory and the Sunbeam Wolsey factory in Blackpool. Dwyer's was situated right opposite Cork Circuit Courthouse.
    Woolworths Cork Store on Patrick Street (now a branch of Permanent TSB Bank) shut it's doors in 1984 along with the rest of Woolworths chain across Republic of Ireland
    Egan's also shuts it's doors on Patrick Street and NEXT was probably first shop to go into the former Egan's premises.
    Thompson's Bakery on McCurtain Street closes
    Verolme Shipbuilding Dockyard in Rushbrooke, Cobh closes - massive jobs losses result
    Ford's Motor Assembly Plant down the Marina closes - hundreds lose their jobs
    Dunlops Irish Tyre factory next door to Ford's at the Marina also closes with hundreds of jobs gone
    Paul Street Shopping Centre opens with Quinnsworth as anchor tenant along with other smaller retail units & Multi-Story Car Park. Brown Street was built over during the construction process.
    New Government Buildings complex which was home to Cork's Tax Office/Revenue & Customs, FÁS etc; is opened on Sullivan's Quay in the mid 1980's (demolished in recent years)
    Buckley Stores on Academy Street closes down - ESB Retail Shop transfers from it's former Patrick Street premises to same site while Eason Booksellers moves a few doors up to former ESB Shop.
    Roches Stores major expansion in conjunction with new Merchant's Quay Shopping Centre which also see arrival of Marks & Spencer to Cork for the first time and Dunnes Stores, Kylemore Restaurant & Shop also become anchor tenants at Merchant's Quay Shopping Centre. Merchant Street which used run along left of Roches Stores building from it's junction with Patrick Street down to Parnell Place is built over.
    Capitol Cinema & Mini Capitol on Grand Parade converted into Capitol Cineplex multi-screen cinema complex
    Pavilion Cinema on Patrick Street closes circa 1989/1990 and would reopen as a HMV Record Store (now Golden Discs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

We can do better than the year !! It opened on 5th of October 1967

See here: Buckley's Stores Ltd v National Employers Mutual General Insurance Association Ltd
    1965 WJSC-HC 2300

THE HIGH COURT

No. 1342P/1973
    Buckley's Stores Ltd v. National Employers Mutual General Insurance Association

BUCKLEY'S STORES LIMITED AND PATRICK BUCKLEY
    Plaintiffs

and

NATIONAL EMPLOYERS MUTUAL GENERAL INSURANCE ASSOCIATION LIMITED FEDERATED EMPLOYERS INSURANCE ASSOCIATION LIMITED THE NORWICH UNION FIRE INSURANCE SOCIETY LIMITED
    Defendants

Justice Hamilton

1 The facts in this case are relatively simple in dispute and may be summarised as follows;-

2 The first-named plaintiff herein, Messrs Buckley's Stores Limited is a limited liability company having been incorporated under the Companies Acts on the 20th day of February 1958. At all times material hereto the second-named plaintiff, Patrick Buckley, was a director of the said Buckley's Stores Limited and acted as a servant or agent thereof.

3 Buckley's Stores Limited were the owners of business premises in Mill Street in the County of Cork where they carried on a business, inter alia, as hardware merchants and builders providers.

4 In or about the year 1967 they acquired premises situate at Academy Street in the City of Cork for the purpose of developing a departmental store on similar lines as the business which they carried on at Mill Street in the County of Cork.

5 The Academy Street, Cork, premises were opened for business on the 5th day of October 1967. Prior to the opening of the said business on the 5th day of October 1967 a number of the employees of Messrs Buckley's Stores Limited who had..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Advertisement