Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park - Structure under Pope’s Cross

Options
  • 10-03-2021 2:05am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Being a frequent walker in the Phoenix Park and living not too far away, I’ve always wondered what the purpose was of the platform structure under the Pope’s Cross, built in 1980 to commemorate the visit of Pope John Paul II to Ireland the previous year.

Was it supposed to be some sort of museum? Tourist facilities? Interpretive Centre (all the rage in the 1990s) ?

Anyone have any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Check your dates there.

It was built as a platform for the Pope to say mass from

I'm not aware of any structure within the mound although obviously the cross will have some form of foundations

Scott Tallon Walker designed it apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

It was built for the actual Papal Mass.
    My Mam kept a scrapbook with all the images in.Google the Papal mass
    The alter was at the top of the steps...havnt been up that far in the park for a while. Must check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Somewhere to store the extra special alter boys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

it's just a raised dais so the pope could say mass to everyone who turned up

it's not a memorial at all, it was used by JP2 so was built before he came here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Being a frequent walker in the Phoenix Park and living not too far away, I’ve always wondered what the purpose was of the platform structure the Pope’s Cross, built in 1980 to commemorate the visit of Pope John Paul II to Ireland the previous year.

Was it supposed to be some sort of museum? Tourist facilities? Interpretive Centre (all the rage in the 1990s) ?

Anyone have any idea?

The pope visited in 1979, I was there as a child, altar was at the top of the steps, it was built a few weeks before the pope arrived in September 1979, as another poster said Scott, Tallon and Walker were given the job. See link.

https://www.totallydublin.ie/more/scott-tallon-walker-the-papal-cross/

• Advertisement

Being a frequent walker in the Phoenix Park and living not too far away, I’ve always wondered what the purpose was of the platform structure the Pope’s Cross, built in 1980 to commemorate the visit of Pope John Paul II to Ireland the previous year.

Anyone have any idea?

It's the Tomb of the Unknown Gurrier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Nope, that's behind the Customs House by Busaras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Links_on_Human_Rights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

That used to be on O'Connell Bridge :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUvRC2Ne6s8

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Thanks for the replies. :)

So it seems that the raised platform structure under the cross was actually put in place for the Pope’s September 1979 mass in the park rather than afterwards.

I always thought there was supposed to be some sort of facility inside the platform, but apparently not. I myself very vaguely remember the pope’s visit as I was there with my family that day - I was about 4 and a half at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Thanks for the replies. :)

So it seems that the raised platform structure under the cross was actually put in place for the Pope’s September 1979 mass in the park rather than afterwards.

I always thought there was supposed to be some sort of facility inside the platform, but apparently not. I myself very vaguely remember the pope’s visit as I was there with my family that day - I was about 4 and a half at the time.
    I was around the same age. 4 I think. There was a gate underneath until the 90s when it was covered over. We used to cycle there from clondalkin all the time. Inside was smelly, dark and flooded. At one stage there was a gap in the gate and we slipped through, but it was pitch black inside and spooky. We didn't stay long.

• Advertisement

My memory is that there was a room underneath where the pope put on his vestments for the mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In the ‘80’s for a time, the area under the cross was accessible... I remember playing there as a kid, I don’t think by then there was feck all under there, I’ve never seen it open since. There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of information or pics as to its current state / usage.

Strumms wrote: »
    In the ‘80’s for a time, the area under the cross was accessible... I remember playing there as a kid, I don’t think by then there was feck all under there.

Shergar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The Wellington Monument legend is far more interesting.
    See Link wrote:
    A more gruesome legend tells of a special invitation dinner which was held in a secret vault at the base of the pillar to raise money to continue construction. The legend goes that the dinner party became quiet debauched and drunken , as the era demanded, and as part of the fun the next morning the entire vault was sealed complete with dining table, chairs, decorative screens and kitchen to form a little time capsule. However apparently another unintended artifact was preserved. It was discovered after the vault was bricked back up that one of the butlers at the meal could not be located. Said butler was known to have a habit of partaking of the expensive wine himself whilst serving and its rumoured he may have passed out behind the aforementioned kitchen area screens and been left entombed.

Advertisement