Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Reid: Value for money?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

Piollaire wrote: »
    When does the ratio become unacceptable x50,x100,x1000? Is it really acceptable when you've successfully attained a position a position of power and control that you absolutely milk it for all that you can squeeze out of it and to hell with everyone else.

I'll repeat it in case you missed it the first time.

He doesn't set his own salary or conditions.

How is he "milking it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I don't know, but why shouldn't it be public knowledge if he has KPI's, has he achieved them, and how much are they worth.
    Some people will always moan but most reasonable people would be happy enough if they could see the KPI's and the progress towards them.

If he is doing a good job, he deserves the money.

Also the HSE is a crock of **** so I don't expect anyone to turn it around in a short time frame, but it would be good to see is he actually making progress and worth the money he is getting.

Which begs the question. What did he do in Fingal county council that made him the man for the job?

Was it in a similar state and he turned it around? Or did he know the right people?

The cynic in me would guess it was the latter.

Allinall wrote: »
    I'll repeat it in case you missed it the first time.

He doesn't set his own salary or conditions.

How is he "milking it"?

He can certainly negotiate his salary. Why were they so desperate to get him in particular? Does he have a track record that justifies it?

Which company has he ran where he has returned value for share holders?

What evidence is there that he is good at spending money efficiently? He certainly gets no practise in his personal life.

Why is his solution always more of our tax money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

He can certainly negotiate his salary. Why were they so desperate to get him in particular? Does he have a track record that justifies it?

What evidence is there that he is good at spending money efficiently? He certainly gets no practise in his personal life.

Why are you asking me these questions?

i have no idea of the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I think there needs to be a shock and awe approach to this with the structure dismantled and rebuilt.

Id love to see you run that attitude past the politicians both local and national, the IMO, INMO, SIPTU and every other campaign group and vested interest.

You would be public enemy number one in no time, you'd have to leave the country.:pac:

• Advertisement

Lol, in Ireland this is how we work.

Always laughed at how John Delaney got away with earning 400k per annum, more than the heads of the Spanish and Italians FAs combined to run a tin pot organisation. It turned out he surrounded himself with little gombeen men who said yes to everything. It stared us in the face.

Paul Reid better watch his back, this was the salary he was given but you can be sure there is someone else making plans to install themselves in his position.

Probably a careerist civil servant type. Useless.

Allinall wrote: »
    Why are you asking me these questions?

i have no idea of the answers.

I was being rhetorical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So what is your solution? how much should they be paid?

It's easy to complain and moan much harder to come up with solutions.

mariaalice wrote: »

I'd start with picking a competent candidate.

Lol, in Ireland this is how we work.

Always laughed at how John Delaney got away with earning 400k per annum, more than the heads of the Spanish and Italians FAs combined to run a tin pot organisation. It turned out he surrounded himself with little gombeen men who said yes to everything. It stared us in the face.

Paul Reid better watch his back, this was the salary he was given but you can be sure there is someone else making plans to install themselves in his position.

Probably a careerist civil servant type. Useless.

I wouldn't worry he will retire on a nice pension and take up consultancy work be on the board of directors of some health care management company or running a big hospital group in Dubi or the like.

Health care management is a worldwide business.

• Advertisement

The HSE CEO probably shouldn't be paid more than his counterpart in a much larger country unless we are trying to attract someone with a proven track record.

What justifies him being hired in the first place? I would have thrown his CV in the bin and not even called him back.

Health care management is a worldwide business.

And we restricted the pool to Fingal county council.

Who else was considered for the role? Why did he come out on top?

As his employers we have a right to know.

I'd start with picking a competent candidate.

Tell us how you do that?

Health care management is a worldwide very well-paid career do you really think the best at it or the best at change management is going to come to Ireland for a salary of 400k?

It is a large salary from my point of view but its not large in the world of health care management.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

But as head of the HSE, he's got a 5 year contract so he'll see that out and by some miracle if he didnt see it out no matterhow bad a job he did/does he'll get his full pay and whatever parachute payment he negotiated.

Don't forget a pension that would give others a heart attack

Once again it's time for a boards.ie

"Someone that I have no idea about what their qualifications are, or what their work load entails, or what the market for their skills is like, is earning a lot of money, something must be wrong"

thread.

He's a CEO

CEOs earn that sort of money.

Well what exactly is it then that you think I need to know about his work load and duties in order to be allowed to question his salary?

Fair enough, he is a CEO, one assumes he has the education, experience, put the hours in to get where he is and all that, I've no grudge against the man earning a reasonable wage.

But if I'm the one footing the bill for it and I'm not been given a say in the matter then why at least should I not be allowed the courtesy of an explanation? I'm not trying to say he be held up to some sort of popularity contest, it's none of my business what the likes of Bill Gates earns after all since I can choose to give him by custom or take it elsewhere if I prefer, but my taxes are not a voluntary payment. Your man's picking up a pay check for 8K a week and it's funded by the public not private business.

Why is it not reasonable to have some sort of accountability regarding why X amount of money is spent on X services?

Tell us how you do that?

Health care management is a worldwide very well-paid career do you really think the best at it or the best at change management is going to come to Ireland for a salary of 400k?

It is a large salary from my point of view but its not large in the world of health care management.

The NHS CEO is on?

It's well paid because it's funded from public money. When you spend other people's money on other people you waste it.

Why is he not implementing obvious reforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Has there ever been a spoofer of such epic proportion in the history of this country to have recieved such a Salary, its appalling, Shocking, outrageous, offensive and disgusting. WTF is this and previous government at, permitting this and other outrageous salaries at the HSE at senior manager level, it's just beyond astonishing. I wouldn't mind if any of them, especially Reid had an ounce of competence.

You've only got to watch the absurd weekly HSE spin session, they call a press conference, it would put a fortune 500 company to shame, it includes a shiny, long haired head of PR, not even government press conferences are so tightly controlled. The slightest difficult question asked, results in a tetchy, petulant response.

I can put up with restrictions, I can put up with appropriate measures, I've had to put up with genuine hardships like so many, but I've become to dislike and distrust all non medical senior management at the HSE, who's false Emphaty and concern are galling and frankly vomit enducing, these salary relevations are just shocking and offensive.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Has there ever been a spoofer of such epic proportion in the history of this country to have recieved such a Salary, its appalling, Shocking, outrageous, offensive and disgusting. WTF is this and previous government at, permitting this and other outrageous salaries at the HSE at senior manager level, it's just beyond astonishing. I wouldn't mind if any of them, especially Reid had an ounce of competence.

You've only got to watch the absurd weekly HSE spin session, they call a press conference, it would put a fortune 500 company to shame, it includes a shiny, long haired head of PR, not even government press conferences are so tightly controlled. The slightest difficult question asked, results in a tetchy, petulant response.

I can put up with restrictions, I can put up with appropriate measures, I've had to put up with genuine hardships like so many, but I've become to dislike and distrust all non medical senior management at the HSE, who's false Emphaty and concern are galling and frankly vomit enducing, these salary relevations are just shocking and offensive.

I'd vote Sinn Fein if they'd initiate the cull even if they raised taxes, just to spite HSE management and drop a metaphorical grenade into the trough.

Simon Stevens – collected a salary of £478,000 last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Id love to see you run that attitude past the politicians both local and national, the IMO, INMO, SIPTU and every other campaign group and vested interest.

You would be public enemy number one in no time, you'd have to leave the country.:pac:

The people with a vested interest are the ordinary working people in the HSE.

There is no single middle management/bloated/inefficient/wasteful bogeyman.

The inefficiencies and waste are across the board, and have been there since well before the HSE.

Thousands of normal working people are part of those inefficiencies and waste without deliberately being part of it.

If you take a shock and awe attitude to the HSE and start to fillet it you are going to put household incomes of an awful lot of people in jeopardy.

That's not something any politician is willing to do, and why would they.

And look how experienced he was when he went into the role. Look at his performance? Comparing the NHS and HSE is like day and night.

NHS has its waste and problems too but nothing NOTHING like Ireland.

Why Fingal County council and not a proven candidate from abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Dempo1 wrote: »

This is a typical rant by the outraged classes.

Do you have any idea of the scope of work the HSE CEO has apart from the updates on Covid ? Do you have any idea of the KPIs that have been set for this individual?

You are equating the government response to a global pandemic to the performance of a CEO of an organisation with a €20bn annual budget and responsibility for almost 100,000 people.

I am not attempting to justify the salary - but I am merely just pointing out idiotic rants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Ah, I remember the boy from Finglas when he was a union rep in Telecom Eireann. ;)

I am not defending him he appears to be doing alright at the job.

Its just the ridiculous get someone cheaper and brilliant easy answer.

As I said it's easy to moan but far harder to come up with the answer.

The people with a vested interest are the ordinary working people in the HSE.

There is no single middle management/bloated/inefficient/wasteful bogeyman.

The inefficiencies and waste are across the board, and have been there since well before the HSE.

Thousands of normal working people are part of those inefficiencies and waste without deliberately being part of it.

If you take a shock and awe attitude to the HSE and start to fillet it you are going to put household incomes of an awful lot of people in jeopardy.

That's not something any politician is willing to do, and why would they.

You would need a brave politician like Thatcher not the weasels we are blessed with.

Ah, I remember the boy from Finglas when he was a union rep in Telecom Eireann. ;)

Very Irish that, what has where he is from got to do with anything?

What is Simon Stevens' salary?
    He is believed to be paid around £195,000, according to reports.

When he took over as chief executive of the NHS he was offered a salary of £211,000-a-year.

However he took a voluntary 10 per cent pay cut meaning he started on a wage of £189,900.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6257337/simon-stevens-nhs-salary/

Where did you get your number? Was that other income unrelated to his job?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You would need a brave politician like Thatcher not the weasels we are blessed with.

Yea, it would be very similar to what Thatcher did to the mining towns of the UK.

That was 40 years ago and whether it was a success or failure all depends on who you ask.

• Advertisement

Very Irish that, what has where he is from got to do with anything?

Ah a Union bosses. Experts in extracting public money under ransom.

Advertisement