Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Reid: Value for money?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

You would need a brave politician like Thatcher not the weasels we are blessed with.

not the word i would use to describe thatcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Ah, I remember the boy from Finglas when he was a union rep in Telecom Eireann. ;)

Poacher become gamekeeper :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Yea, it would be very similar to what Thatcher did to the mining towns of the UK.

That was 40 years ago and whether it was a success or failure all depends on who you ask.

You know the state of the economy at that time? You know that Unions were forcing up wages on dying businesses? You know that Labour closed more mines than her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

mariaalice wrote: »
    Very Irish that, what has where he is from got to do with anything?

Nothing. I didn't say it did. It was just in my memory.

It says more about you that you picked up on that.

not the word i would use to describe thatcher

She stood up to unions who were ruining the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Compo82

I've no bother paying a big salary for an expert but not a spoofer like Reid. THY NHS guy has decades of experience in hospital management. Paul Riel doesn't even have a leaving cert, started off in Telecom Eireann, became head of Fingal County Council. What actually qualifications has Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'd vote Sinn Fein if they'd initiate the cull even if they raised taxes, just to spite HSE management and drop a metaphorical grenade into the trough.
    There is always SF angle. They would do absolutely nothing, they would should and roar and change nothing.

HSE seems to be less at war than under previous management. It's hard to make conclusions due to Covid and all the money throw at it but they seem to be more proactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

Compo82 wrote: »
    I've no bother paying a big salary for an expert but not a spoofer like Reid. THY NHS guy has decades of experience in hospital management. Paul Riel doesn't even have a leaving cert, started off in Telecom Eireann, became head of Fingal County Council. What actually qualifications has Reid.

He is good at job interviews and whatever scoring they use. Usually they score on prior experience of sorting out people, political acumen, communication skills.

Dealing with unions & DoH is #1 for the HSE CEO's interview and scoring system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

There's no justifying Reid's salary. Even if it were to be split in half, it would still be obscene. I had a quick browse through his LinkedIn. How did he even land the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Thats a crazy salary.

For me he spends way way too much time doing Radio, TV, Interviews, Photo Opportunities etc. He should spend more time in his office doing his job. Get your PR/Comms people or other Senior/Middle Management to spread the message but your job is to manage and resolve problems. I'd much rather he was having phone calls with Vaccine companies or incompetent ministers than appearing on the Radio/TV/Newspapers. His PR work is excessive. He cant be that available to his reports.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

While this is obviously crazy money in the context of an organisation which is apparently perpetually under funded, its not Paul's salary itself which is worrying. It's the thousands and thousands of other staff on lower but similarly bloated salaries.

That is the big worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I wouldnt like to do his job.
    Even for €400k.
    Even if I knew how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    There's no justifying Reid's salary. Even if it were to be split in half, it would still be obscene. I had a quick browse through his LinkedIn. How did he even land the job?

He is a union man, that's how.

You get the same excuse with these highly paid civil servants all the time, they have to be paid a kings ransom or they will go elsewhere. You hear the same excuses being trotted by RTE to justify the wages some of their presenters are on.

For there is no way any civil servant should be on more that that Taoiseach and if they can find a job that pays more for their services then let them head off to that job and then get someone else to fill their role. There is no need for these outrageous wages in the Public Sector.

It would be interesting to see if the wages of the top civil servants were cut how many would up and leave and take their chances in the private sector? Might be a good thing as well, may freshen up the thinking in the Public Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Fair point. The only people I have seen return pay increases are Sinn Fein politicians. I'd hazard a guess that they receive a nice stipend from the party in compensation.

I don't think they return it. They give it to the SF party coffers. They don't take it personally.

Floppybits wrote: »
    He is a union man, that's how.

You get the same excuse with these highly paid civil servants all the time, they have to be paid a kings ransom or they will go elsewhere. You hear the same excuses being trotted by RTE to justify the wages some of their presenters are on.

For there is no way any civil servant should be on more that that Taoiseach and if they can find a job that pays more for their services then let them head off to that job and then get someone else to fill their role. There is no need for these outrageous wages in the Public Sector.

It would be interesting to see if the wages of the top civil servants were cut how many would up and leave and take their chances in the private sector? Might be a good thing as well, may freshen up the thinking in the Public Service.

Paul Reid isn't a civil servant. TDs pay and conditions are linked to civil servant pay and conditions. For example a TD is equivalent to a Principal Officer in the civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

whippet wrote: »
    This is a typical rant by the outraged classes.

Do you have any idea of the scope of work the HSE CEO has apart from the updates on Covid ? Do you have any idea of the KPIs that have been set for this individual?

You are equating the government response to a global pandemic to the performance of a CEO of an organisation with a €20bn annual budget and responsibility for almost 100,000 people.

I am not attempting to justify the salary - but I am merely just pointing out idiotic rants

Outraged class, your damned right, are you seriously suggesting this salary is even remotely warrented? Please, a salary that surpasses most heads of government world wide. Intriguing also not a single actual medical professional at senior level in the HSE earns such a salary. It is down right unacceptable, plain and simple.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

So what is your solution? how much should they be paid?

It's easy to complain and moan much harder to come up with solutions.

Should be paid enough so that he can have a good lifestyle in proportion to the lifestyle of his fellow citizens. Not so much that he can live like modern day landed gentry.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Paul Reid isn't a civil servant. TDs pay and conditions are linked to civil servant pay and conditions. For example a TD is equivalent to a Principal Officer in the civil service.

If he is working for a state body that is fully funded by the taxpayer then he shouldn't be earning more the Taoiseach.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I wouldnt like to do his job.
    Even for €400k.
    Even if I knew how to do it.

I don't doubt you but I would think the government could find very very capable candidates in Ireland or abroad for half that amount.

Pre-Covid the HSE was already a disaster.

For evidence of that read this November 2019 memo from the INMO
    https://inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13549

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

If he is working for a state body that is fully funded by the taxpayer then he shouldn't be earning more the Taoiseach.

Perhaps the Taoiseach’s pay should be increased significantly.

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »
    I don't think they return it. They give it to the SF party coffers. They don't take it personally.

No, they make voluntary contributions to revenue.

Allinall wrote: »
    Perhaps the Taoiseach’s pay should be increased significantly.

Ah you are just on a wind up now to pass the day. The Taoiseach, ministers and TD's are paid enough as it is.

Ah you are just on a wind up now to pass the day. The Taoiseach, ministers and TD's are paid enough as it is.

Who made the decision to hire him and pay him that much? Is there an equivalent of the a board of directors in the HSE? Who are they? Can we make a FOI request to get the detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6257337/simon-stevens-nhs-salary/

Where did you get your number? Was that other income unrelated to his job?

https://www.amedpost.com/up-to-350-nhs-managers-paid-more-than-pm-with-some-salaries-worth-hundreds-of-thousands/

Studying at night, he took a Bachelor of Arts degree in Human Resources and Industrial Relations at the National College of Ireland, and later a Masters in Business Administration at Trinity College Dublin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Reid_(HSE)#:~:text=Studying%20at%20night%2C%20he%20took,Administration%20at%20Trinity%20College%20Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Piollaire wrote: »
    Should be paid enough so that he can have a good lifestyle in proportion to the lifestyle of his fellow citizens. Not so much that he can live like modern day landed gentry.

Who decides what that is, who decided what a good life style is and how much it costs.

I am no arguing that he is doing a good job or not doing a good job.

It's just that I find simplistic answers to very complex questions very trite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I don't doubt you but I would think the government could find very very capable candidates in Ireland or abroad for half that amount.

Pre-Covid the HSE was already a disaster.

For evidence of that read this November 2019 memo from the INMO
    https://inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13549

Surprisingly no they would not , they may find "capable" but not "suitable".

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/salary-one-reason-hse-director-quit-to-go-back-to-australia-1.2114604

What is interesting is that the pay includes a cash payment in lieue of a pension, I wonder is this because he would be crippled by changes in the taxation treatment of pensions where he would have to pay hundreds of thousands in tax upon retirement?

Traumadoc wrote: »

Running an organisation with an annual budget of 20 billion , with 100,000 employees and you want to pay them less than the head of the ESB??

CEOs are in a constant push to be paid as much as the next overpaid CEO driving them in an ever-rising bubble above the rest of the population.

The Taoiseach manages a country of 5 million with a budget of whatever billion. There's only so many hours a week any one person can put in even if they have a lot of responsibility. Taking on responsible jobs is not just about becoming a financial leech - you also enjoy status and power as a major player in society.

Who decides what that is, who decided what a good life style is and how much it costs.

I am no arguing that he is doing a good job or not doing a good job.

It's just that I find simplistic answers to very complex questions very trite.

Establishing the general principle that wages should be in proportion to the what the rest of society is earning to avoid structural inequality is a first step. Getting down to the nitty gritty of who gets what should flow from that.

No, they make voluntary contributions to revenue.

Revenue?

• Advertisement

https://www.amedpost.com/up-to-350-nhs-managers-paid-more-than-pm-with-some-salaries-worth-hundreds-of-thousands/

Studying at night, he took a Bachelor of Arts degree in Human Resources and Industrial Relations at the National College of Ireland, and later a Masters in Business Administration at Trinity College Dublin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Reid_(HSE)#:~:text=Studying%20at%20night%2C%20he%20took,Administration%20at%20Trinity%20College%20Dublin.

A masters in business administration is not exactly a differentiator. They are as common as muck and worth not much more to an employer.

Advertisement