Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Reid: Value for money?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Piollaire wrote: »
    Inequality is spiralling out of control in Ireland when you have someone in a public service job sucking up huge resources for himself personally.

I am going to try and get a job in the HSE.
    Everytime I was in a hospital there are admin people who are really well dressed walking around casually.

I overheard a porter saying " I still have a few sick days to take this year" once. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Piollaire wrote: »
    Should be paid enough so that he can have a good lifestyle in proportion to the lifestyle of his fellow citizens. Not so much that he can live like modern day landed gentry.

Kind of a "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" ?

Yea, that would work.

Kind of a "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" ?

Yea, that would work.

Ah come on now, we're not talking communism here.

Value for money is what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

All I know is the Troika said just before they left is our public service bill was too high, they had being saying that all the time here.
    It seems we are all doing quite well in this country but we should be the richest country per-capita in the world instead but we are loaded with debt.
    As a people we seem to to squeeze as much as possible in every situation, I am talking about everyone as its the way we are as a people.
    However we have absolutely sense of VALUR FOR MONEY...

end of rant...

• Advertisement

All I know is the Troika said just before they left is our public service bill was too high, they had being saying that all the time here.
    It seems we are all doing quite well in this country but we should be the richest country per-capita in the world instead but we are loaded with debt.
    As a people we seem to to squeeze as much as possible in every situation, I am talking about everyone as its the way we are as a people.
    However we have absolutely sense of VALUR FOR MONEY...

end of rant...

That's what happens when you elect parasites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

While this is obviously crazy money in the context of an organisation which is apparently perpetually under funded, its not Paul's salary itself which is worrying. It's the thousands and thousands of other staff on lower but similarly bloated salaries.

Is Paul's salary down to the unions etc. etc.?
    We are told it's bloated management and a system unions won't let us change. Then we've Reid, a pick by government on a nice fat salary.
    Are we suspicious the people in power, who throw up their hands and cite 'unions' are either as bad or talking out their arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Is Paul's salary down to the unions etc. etc.?
    We are told it's bloated management and a system unions won't let us change. Then we've Reid, a pick by government on a nice fat salary.
    Are we suspicious the people in power, who throw up their hands and cite 'unions' are either as bad or talking out their arse?

No it's because he was cute enough to know if he networked, and made enough of a name for himself in the CWU, he wouldn't be long cable jointing! It was a meteoric rise from cable jointer in 2005 to Head of Networks in 2010.

I wonder what his colleagues thought of him? My partner met plenty of his sort in Telecom Eireann. Would sell their grannies, and hardly did a day's work as there was always a meeting to go to. Always knew who to brown nose on their way up the greasy pole.

Someone on another site said he was like a secondhand car salesman, and could he not pay for a few elocution lessons!

Kalimah wrote: »
    No it's because he was cute enough to know if he networked, and made enough of a name for himself in the CWU, he wouldn't be long cable jointing! It was a meteoric rise from cable jointer in 2005 to Head of Networks in 2010.

I wonder what his colleagues thought of him? My partner met plenty of his sort in Telecom Eireann. Would sell their grannies, and hardly did a day's work as there was always a meeting to go to. Always knew who to brown nose on their way up the greasy pole.

Someone on another site said he was like a secondhand car salesman, and could he not pay for a few elocution lessons!

He looks like the perfect candidate for floor manager in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I would think very highly of anyone who joined Telecom and quicker say that you could go to college at night fully paid for by the company, It shows someone who saw an opportunity and took it, shows initiative.

I am sure lots joined at the same time as him and did nothing with the opportunity.

• Advertisement

He's on about 18k a MONTH when I plug the figures into the PWC tax calculator. I know that's only a ballpark figure but my God! There are healthcare assistants in some of the hospitals who are on not much more than 20k pa. And you can bet they work like slaves for every euro of it.

Esho wrote: »
    I am going to try and get a job in the HSE.
    Everytime I was in a hospital there are admin people who are really well dressed walking around casually.

I overheard a porter saying " I still have a few sick days to take this year" once. Jesus.

Genuinely your argument is based on an anecdote and one visit to a hospital.

Here you go.

Clerical Officer (Grade IV)
    Cpl Resources
    Not disclosedUpdated 10/03/2021Cork
    My Public Sector client located in Cork city, has an urgent need for a Clerical Officer (Grade IV) to join their busy department on a 3 month temporary contract. This role will be providing administration support to the Department Director and also support with finance administration. * This role is located in the north city

https://www.irishjobs.ie/Temporary-Clerical-Jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ah come on now, we're not talking communism here.

Value for money is what I want.

But I was not replying to a post from you.

mariaalice wrote: »
    I would think very highly of anyone who joined Telecom and quicker say that you could go to college at night fully paid for by the company, It shows someone who saw an opportunity and took it, shows initiative.

I am sure lots joined at the same time as him and did nothing with the opportunity.

TE wouldn't have paid for that in my experience, having known close relatives who worked there.

La Creme are currently recruiting for a variety of Clerical Officer roles due to the busy period in the healthcare sector. healthcare medical clerical Contract: 3, 6 & 12 mon - Contract: 3, 6 & 12 months temporary contracts available with possible extension - Salary: €12.78 per hour.

There is another 12.78 an hour well on the way to going to work well dressed.

TE wouldn't have paid for that in my experience, having known close relatives who worked there.

They would have paid for some of it or the fees would have been refunded when the exams were passed, all public services or border public service places are like that and at the time Telecom was like that.

Once again it's time for a boards.ie

"Someone that I have no idea about what their qualifications are, or what their work load entails, or what the market for their skills is like, is earning a lot of money, something must be wrong"

thread.

He's a CEO

CEOs earn that sort of money.

Absolute nonsense.

Head of NHS earns nowhere near that sum.

This could have been a really interesting debate on how our public service is conducted.

Instead, its anecdotes and cranky rants and resurrect Margret Tatcher, and has descended into he does not look the part a sort of snobbery or something?

Once again it's time for a boards.ie

"Someone that I have no idea about what their qualifications are, or what their work load entails, or what the market for their skills is like, is earning a lot of money, something must be wrong"

thread.

He's a CEO

CEOs earn that sort of money.

Private sector CEOs do, and more. We’re surely entitled to question the salaries of the publicly funded here in Ireland.

This could have been a really interesting debate on how our public service is conducted.

Instead, its anecdotes and cranky rants and bring resurrect Margret Tatcher, and have descended into he does not look the part a sort of snobbery or something?

In fairness I brought both Sinn Fein and Thatcher into it. Said I'd vote for the former if they reformed the HSE whilst also indicating we need someone with the balls of Thatcher to take them on.

He pay is very very very high. He has nowhere near the experience required.

It's weird dilemma for lefties who adore big government. They are okay with massive salaries as long as it is funded by the taxpayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It is down right unacceptable, plain and simple.

as I said - to the outraged classes that is true

whippet wrote: »

It's outrageous! I'm certainly not part of the outraged class whatever that is. I pay more tax than most.

Taxation really does feel like theft in this instance.

In fairness I brought both Sinn Fein and Thatcher into it. Said I'd vote for the former if they reformed the HSE whilst also indicating we need someone with the balls of Thatcher to take them on.

He pay is very very very high. He has nowhere near the experience required.

It's weird dilemma for lefties who adore big government. They are okay with massive salaries as long as it is funded by the taxpayer.

I have middling left views, on the extremely mild side.

specifically what experience should someone have for the job?

Specifically, who should be doing the job?

Specifically what qualifications should they have? as you believe MBA are two a penny.

Specifically how much should they be paid?, by the way, I do think his salary is too high, but also a realist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Absolute nonsense.

Head of NHS earns nowhere near that sum.

Not saying the salary is that Reid receives is right but this is a bad comparison.

The head of the NHS has much less deicison making power and responsibility than Reid has. Instead the authority is delegated to the heads of the NHS trusts. I checked 3 and all their ceos are paid significantly more than the head of the NHS.

If we were to take their salary and add a third on the basis that the hse is much bigger than these hospital trusts we get Reid's salary.

I don't agree he is worth it. The NHS hospital Trust ceos I checked were all experienced individuals head hunted from hospital groups and with relevant experience. Most are MDs with an MBA. Reid is getting his first bit of health experience.

So my conclusion would be that the salary might be right for the job but I doubt the man is right for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

whippet wrote: »

Pray tell who are these outraged classes? Are people not allowed be unhappy with how aspects of the country they live are being run and how their hard earned contributions they make in tax payments are being spent?

I have middling left views, on the extremely mild side.

specifically what experience should someone have for the job?

Specifically, who should be doing the job?

Specifically what qualifications should they have? as you believe MBA are two a penny.

Specifically how much should they be paid?, by the way, I do think his salary is too high, but also a realist.

A person with extensive experience working in a role where they have proven their competence. This is not managing a small business. This is turning around an extremely dysfunctional organisation which spends billions each year.

An MBA without relevant experience? Would you make a recent college graduate CEO of a large company?

High enough to attract someone capable of doing the job that needs doing.

He is overpaid and massively underqualified.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Pray tell who are these outraged classes? Are people not allowed be unhappy with how aspects of the country they live are being run and how their hard earned contributions they make in tax payments are being spent?

He's referring to Sinn Fein voters I guess. I'm right wing.

As for his pay, I would use the 10 to I ratio i.e the difference between the lowest-paid in an organisation and the CEO should be not be more than 10 times the lowest paid going by that matrix he should be paid approximately 246k a year I would also add performance bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Floppybits wrote: »

As I pointed out the outrages classes make comments like these
    Originally Posted by Dempo1 View Post
    Has there ever been a spoofer of such epic proportion in the history of this country to have recieved such a Salary, its appalling, Shocking, outrageous, offensive and disgusting. WTF is this and previous government at, permitting this and other outrageous salaries at the HSE at senior manager level, it's just beyond astonishing. I wouldn't mind if any of them, especially Reid had an ounce of competence.

You've only got to watch the absurd weekly HSE spin session, they call a press conference, it would put a fortune 500 company to shame, it includes a shiny, long haired head of PR, not even government press conferences are so tightly controlled. The slightest difficult question asked, results in a tetchy, petulant response.

I can put up with restrictions, I can put up with appropriate measures, I've had to put up with genuine hardships like so many, but I've become to dislike and distrust all non medical senior management at the HSE, who's false Emphaty and concern are galling and frankly vomit enducing, these salary relevations are just shocking and offensive.

Advertisement