Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Reid: Value for money?

Options

Comments

mariaalice wrote: »
    His energy and toughness as a negotiator did not go unnoticed. He was poached by the other side. By the time he left Eircom in 2010, he was director of networks and operations. The company had been flipped three or four times at that stage.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/paul-reid-has-a-record-of-delivering-big-projects-can-he-tame-the-hse-1.3925978

Very interesting article.

I would say he is very intelligent and nobody's fool.

He sure is, a €420k salary, €50k expenses, free BMW X1, job security, fat pension .... his toughness as a negotiator came out alright, in favour of himself. I mean more power to him. He might as well fleece the taxpayer for all that's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

whippet wrote: »
    your guessing wrong - it was an open competition

Who were the other candidates? Why was he the right choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Allinall wrote: »
    Where's your detail?

Article says it was an "open competition".

What makes you think it was restricted to public sector managers in ireland?

That's an interesting point.
    These jobs should be advertised through Europe and we may get outside influence into the running of HSE which i think be good.
    best practice etc...

I know of a middle aged person who was offered 3 Months work experience in HSE, before the 3 Months was up offered permanent position in an area where wide experience would normally be required...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

If they want to be CEO of the HSE on the other hand, leave school at 16, install telephone lines, and hey presto ... the guy has no scientific or medical background whatsoever. No wonder the whole thing is a mess.

And yet you posted a very brief summay of his career since he was installing telephone lines .. the irony

no it's not ... what is your qualification for vetting the CEO of the largest organisation in the state ?

I pay him.

Who did make the decision?

• Advertisement

Who were the other candidates? Why was he the right choice?

who are you directing these questions to ?

Have you any idea how a job application works?

Can you tell us how else interviewed for your job and why you were chosen ?

I pay him.

Who did make the decision?

no you don't - I suppose you go around shouting a guards about how you pay their salaries too ?

You pay in to the tax system .. this finances the running of the state - of which the HSE is part of.

Just like our roads and footpaths - do you claim ownership of these too ?

no you don't - I suppose you go around shouting a guards about how you pay their salaries too ?

You pay in to the tax system .. this finances the running of the state - of which the HSE is part of.

Just like our roads and footpaths - do you claim ownership of these too ?

I am entitled to expect the tax money I pay to be used efficiently and not wasted.

We vote in the government. They are supposed to act in our interest.

who are you directing these questions to ?

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/rhetoric

so you are not actually asking the question - just ranting - ok !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats right, it was an open call. No private sector exec would've taken that job on for a million quid.

I've crossed paths with Reid a few times in his County Council tenure and I found him to be a pragmatist with a strong ground game, an effective manager absolutely clued in to the system. He's not flowery, he's not especially political, he's driven by systems improvement and results, so I felt he was a good guy to have at the HSE, though I didn't envy him the scale of his task.

My problem though, isn't so much what he's paid, but more that he isn't in actual charge. We have a Minister, two or three juniors, a Secretary General and a bunch of Assistant Secs, a CMO + deputy, any number of information and review bodies like HIQA. Then we see 10 or 12 academics and medics speaking about virology and immunology and vaccination and operations and clinical matters etc etc etc.

To my mind we should hear from no more than 3 people ever in Health. The Minister (Policy), the CMO (scientific) and Reid (executive and administrative).

Until he really is a CEO with all that that entails, he is overpaid, or at least somebody else is being paid too much for a role they shouldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

I am entitled to expect the tax money I pay to be used efficiently and not wasted.

We vote in the government. They are supposed to act in our interest.

it's only your opinion that your tax money is wasted.

Your opinion carries as much weight as........... your vote.

Democracy at it's best.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats right, it was an open call. No private sector exec would've taken that job on for a million quid.

I've crossed paths with Reid a few times in his County Council tenure and I found him to be a pragmatist with a strong ground game, an effective manager absolutely clued in to the system. He's not flowery, he's not especially political, he's driven by systems improvement and results, so I felt he was a good guy to have at the HSE, though I didn't envy him the scale of his task.

My problem though, isn't so much what he's paid, but more that he isn't in actual charge. We have a Minister, two or three juniors, a Secretary General and a bunch of Assistant Secs, a CMO + deputy, any number of information and review bodies like HIQA. Then we see 10 or 12 academics and medics speaking about virology and immunology and vaccination and operations and clinical matters etc etc etc.

To my mind we should hear from no more than 3 people ever in Health. The Minister (Policy), the CMO (scientific) and Reid (executive and administrative).

Until he really is a CEO with all that that entails, he is overpaid, or at least somebody else is being paid too much for a role they shouldn't have.

Interesting insider view. Gosh, I wonder is Paul on here?

Paul?

Democracy at it's best.

Just another turkey voting for Christmas.

So we have a minister for Health on €190k per year, a General Manager of the Department of Health on €291k and the CEO of the HSE on €370k per year

€851,000 a year split between three people and it's still a ****ing mess.

Interesting insider view. Gosh, I wonder is Paul on here?

Paul?

don't you have some homework to do ?

don't you have some homework to do ?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,758 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Once again it's time for a boards.ie

"Someone that I have no idea about what their qualifications are, or what their work load entails, or what the market for their skills is like, is earning a lot of money, something must be wrong"

thread.

He's a CEO

CEOs earn that sort of money.

I need to be a CEO :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

anyone who thinks this is grand forfeits any right to complain about the state of our public services.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Democracy at it's best.

So do you feel we are getting value for money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Larbre34 wrote: »

That's a very interesting point, I was abroad (Spain) after Christmas.
    I noticed one guy alone each evening gave a briefing around 7pm.
    He then took questions and was brilliant, it was a medical briefing.
    Of course there was the normal news but this exercise was separate.
    It was not for the whole of Spain just Andalucia....

Democracy at it's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The issue with this thread like lots on here or maybe it's not really an issue it's just the nature of forums.

Some who know what they are talking about, the minority on this thread but not always.

Feeling, they feel its too much of salaries no evidence for this they just feel it.

Silly antidotes i.e they were in a hospital once and saw well-dressed people ergo they must be earning a fortune and they are off to get a job in the HSE.

Cranky unfocused rants

Jealously.

He does not look the part! its got to be the most bizarre response.

Peculiar Irish snobbery started out as a cable joiner he educated himself got promoted etc and is now a CEO the very idea.

Peculiar Irish snobbery started out as a cable joiner he educated himself got promoted etc and is now a CEO the very idea.

It's not snobbery, as I said more power to him, but the kind of change that the HSE needs requires someone exceptional. He clearly isn't.

The issue with this thread like lots on here or maybe it's not really an issue it's just the nature of forums.

Some who know what they are talking about, the minority on this thread but not always.

Feeling, they feel its too much of salaries no evidence for this they just feel it.

Silly antidotes i.e they were in a hospital once and saw well-dressed people ergo they must be earning a fortune and they are off to get a job in the HSE.

Cranky unfocused rants

Jealously.

He does not look the part! its got to be the most bizarre response.

What do you want Maria? Only to allow certain people voice their opinion and everyone else just accept it. Boards.ie is a discussion forum as far as I am aware and the allows everyone voice their opinion whether you think they are stupid or whether you agree with them. It would certainly be a boring world old world if no one was allowed disagree or voice their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

How did that money not attract someone capable?

It's not that it didn't attract someone capable, its that the people who applied were deemed not suitable, that to me is the bigger question. I would love to know in what manner was Paul reid deemed better, or "more suitable ". Was it that he was someone who would never rock the boat

It's not that it didn't attract someone capable, its that the people who applied were deemed not suitable, that to me is the bigger question. I would love to know in what manner was Paul reid deemed better, or "more suitable ". Was it that he was someone who would never rock the boat

It's not snobbery, as I said more power to him, but the kind of change that the HSE needs requires someone exceptional. He clearly isn't.

As I said those exceptional people are as rare as hen's teeth and worth their weight in gold. They also require everybody involved to buy into and work at implementing the changes that have to be implemented. If you look at the landscape of the HSE or the Health Service in general it would take one hell of an exceptional person to be able to get all those fiefdoms pulling in the same direction.

I feel we had a big chance to really change the health service when the HSE was set up but some of the decisions made in during that time have led to the mess that is there today. Especially when they said there would be redundancies when making the 4 health boards into work, that should have been time when they could have reduced the fat in the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I honestly could not say if he is doing a good job or not he appeared to be better than the last encumbrance and appears to be competent.

The idea of the job needs someone exceptional is an odd idea it's vague and unfocused sounds good though, how is exceptional defined?

• Advertisement

Advertisement