Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Reid: Value for money?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Santan wrote: »
    It's not that it didn't attract someone capable, its that the people who applied were deemed not suitable, that to me is the bigger question. I would love to know in what manner was Paul reid deemed better, or "more suitable ". Was it that he was someone who would never rock the boat

Well we just need to look at the appointment of Woulfe in the Supreme Court to see what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Floppybits wrote: »
    What do you want Maria? Only to allow certain people voice their opinion and everyone else just accept it. Boards.ie is a discussion forum as far as I am aware and the allows everyone voice their opinion whether you think they are stupid or whether you agree with them. It would certainly be a boring world old world if no one was allowed disagree or voice their opinion.

No of course not everyone is entitled to their opinion, be nice if it was somewhat evidence-based though.

Santan wrote: »
    It's not that it didn't attract someone capable, its that the people who applied were deemed not suitable, that to me is the bigger question. I would love to know in what manner was Paul reid deemed better, or "more suitable ". Was it that he was someone who would never rock the boat

That is a good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

mariaalice wrote: »
    No of course not everyone is entitled to their opinion, be nice if it was somewhat evidence-based though.

Go to your local A&E for evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It's not snobbery, as I said more power to him, but the kind of change that the HSE needs requires someone exceptional. He clearly isn't.

That's probably a bit unfair. Paul could be brilliant in the role. I know his management style and he could do great things in the HSE. He might just be the person to turn it around. When I saw Paul taking up the post I said "this could be interesting".

Then Covid happened and he didn't get the chance to implement what I'm sure he has planned. He still has time to do great things.

My worry is that he seems to taking too much to the telly personality role. I can't imagine that had any part in his original plans for the HSE. I think it's a distraction that he'd do well to move away from.

When the circumstances allow, he should have his plan for transformation of the HSE polished and ready to implement. Unless, of course, he sees another career on the TV.

Is Paul Reid worth that sort of salary? That depends. If he successfully turns the HSE around, then hell yes, he's worth it. If he doesn't, it's just more money wasted on the train wreck that is the Health Service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Floppybits wrote: »
    As I said those exceptional people are as rare as hen's teeth and worth their weight in gold. They also require everybody involved to buy into and work at implementing the changes that have to be implemented. If you look at the landscape of the HSE or the Health Service in general it would take one hell of an exceptional person to be able to get all those fiefdoms pulling in the same direction.

I feel we had a big chance to really change the health service when the HSE was set up but some of the decisions made in during that time have led to the mess that is there today. Especially when they said there would be redundancies when making the 4 health boards into work, that should have been time when they could have reduced the fat in the HSE.

Remember it was set-up by our current Taoiseach, that's called progress....

Evidence based, its not like we can all go off raiding the Public services records just to make a point on a discussion forum. In my experience on here I see this request for evidence all the time and when evidence is then produced it is discredited because of xyz or it wasn't from RTE, The Irish times or some such publication. All of it is subjective and will be dismissed if it does not support one persons view. Just have a look at few of the other discussions and see where this is used to try shut down the discussion.

Remember it was set-up by our current Taoiseach, that's called progress....

Oh I know and it showed then what a weak person he is when he wouldn't stand up to Bertie or the unions and then allowed them to rule out redundancies. Who in their right mind would thinks that you can join 4 entities into 1 and not have some redundancies along the way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

In the case of someone with a seemingly outrageous salary, the three questions to ask are:

1. Is there somebody more competent available for the same money?
    2. Is there someone of equal competence available for less money?
    3. Are we willing to accept someone of lesser competence for less money?

If the answer to all of these questions is "No", the you are where you are.

It's all relative though. A few years back I was earning close to 100k a year in IT, contracting. 9-5, nothing too stressful.

400k+ isn't crazy money in those terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

There is definitely a lot of useless cnuts commanding large salaries undeservedly in this small country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Has there ever been a spoofer of such epic proportion in the history of this country to have recieved such a Salary, its appalling, Shocking, outrageous, offensive and disgusting. WTF is this and previous government at, permitting this and other outrageous salaries at the HSE at senior manager level, it's just beyond astonishing. I wouldn't mind if any of them, especially Reid had an ounce of competence.

You've only got to watch the absurd weekly HSE spin session, they call a press conference, it would put a fortune 500 company to shame, it includes a shiny, long haired head of PR, not even government press conferences are so tightly controlled. The slightest difficult question asked, results in a tetchy, petulant response.

I can put up with restrictions, I can put up with appropriate measures, I've had to put up with genuine hardships like so many, but I've become to dislike and distrust all non medical senior management at the HSE, who's false Emphaty and concern are galling and frankly vomit enducing, these salary relevations are just shocking and offensive.

FAz3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

He sure is, a €420k salary, €50k expenses, free BMW X1, job security, fat pension .... his toughness as a negotiator came out alright, in favour of himself. I mean more power to him. He might as well fleece the taxpayer for all that's going.

I work with a lad that worked with Paul Reid way back in the early days of Telecom Eireann, he said that Reid was a cable layer / worked in telecom exchanges, was the type to tell you what you wanted to hear and would say mass or sell sand to the arabs type of guy.

Well able to talk the talk.

I suppose fair play to him for getting the CEO of the HSE considering he had no background in health.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I wouldnt like to do his job.
    Even for €400k.
    Even if I knew how to do it.

Ah would ya stop

There's nobody on this thread that wouldn't do his job for €400k

And I dare say there's some that would do it better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In fairness I brought both Sinn Fein and Thatcher into it. Said I'd vote for the former if they reformed the HSE whilst also indicating we need someone with the balls of Thatcher to take them on.

That's the same Sinn Fein whose Health spokesperson is former SIPTU (who have fought tooth and nail to resist any form of change or modernisation in the public service) organiser Louise O'Reilly?

I wouldn't be holding out too much hope there I'm afraid.

Why would he make more than the Taoiseach? Is he doing a good job?

Reid is paid more than the President of the United States

€420,103 (Him)

€335,766 (Biden)

Read that again

A man who oversees a healthcare system that's like something out of a Second World country is paid more than Biden, who's job is one of the top 5 most powerful in the world

Fcuking joke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

On current performance I would say, No.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

That's because it's easy to be a nurse and the country has lots of them.

Anyone with a certain intellect and go to nursing school and become a nurse and spend their whole lives as a nurse on a ward.

But if they want to be more then need to work harder, and study harder, and if they want to get off the wards and the shift work and get into management they need to work harder and study harder again, and if they want to rise all the way up to C level executive they have to work even harder, study even harder and be more driven.

What a load of condescending BS. What you're describing is a perfect meritocracy, which our public service is not. What you omit is the importance of politics, pull and connections in getting to the top of a large organization like the HSE. As well as the fact that some people are just great at selling themselves; spoofers.

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    What a load of condescending BS. What you're describing is a perfect meritocracy, which our public service is not. What you omit is the importance of politics, pull and connections in getting to the top of a large organization like the HSE. As well as the fact that some people are just great at selling themselves; spoofers.

And that never happens in the private sector of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

And that never happens in the private sector of course.

Did I say that it doesn't? Cop on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Reid is paid more than the President of the United States

€420,103 (Him)

€335,766 (Biden)

Read that again

A man who oversees a healthcare system that's like something out of a Second World country is paid more than Biden, who's job is one of the top 5 most powerful in the world

Fcuking joke

The American health care system is a bigger basket case than Ireland’s

Biden also has a private jet, helicopter, massive gaf .... personal staff and a lifetime of a massive pension and guaranteed mega bucks earnings in retirement

Comparing apple and oranges lad

In the case of someone with a seemingly outrageous salary, the three questions to ask are:

1. Is there somebody more competent available for the same money?
    2. Is there someone of equal competence available for less money?
    3. Are we willing to accept someone of lesser competence for less money?

If the answer to all of these questions is "No", the you are where you are.

Define available? Did they advertise the job abroad or were they worried half the HSE management would strike if they did.

What’s tragic is that incompetence in this job means more people dying prematurely or not getting treatment they need.

whippet wrote: »
    The American health care system is a bigger basket case than Ireland’s

Two things here really;

• USA population is 328 Million. Ireland's is touching on 5 Million
    • Biden's sole job isn't Health. Reid's is
    Biden also has a private jet, helicopter, massive gaf .... personal staff and a lifetime of a massive pension and guaranteed mega bucks earnings in retirement

TzBvMh3.gif

Yes

Because he's the President of the United States! :pac:

Comparing apple and oranges lad

Not at all

Reid getting paid more than the leader of one of the top two Superpowers in the world is indefensible

Yet, somehow (and only on Boards have I read it today), some are still trying

We wouldn't even have this thread if the HSE was one of the world's leading health systems

But it's the opposite of that. It's shambolic

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Two things here really;

• USA population is 328 Million. Ireland's is touching on 5 Million
    • Biden's sole job isn't Health. Reid's is

TzBvMh3.gif

Yes

Because he's the President of the United States! :pac:

Not at all

Reid getting paid more than the leader of one of the top two Superpowers in the world is indefensible

Yet, somehow (and only on Boards have I read it today), some are still trying

We wouldn't even have this thread if the HSE was one of the world's leading health systems

But it's the opposite of that. It's shambolic
    And it’s all the lefties defending his salary. Tax money is worthless to them as long as the super rich on 40K foot the bill. I mean, he did a night course in hotel management or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Is that not a bit hypocritical given you haven't provided evidence where you stated NHS CEO had a salary of around half a million?

Is that not a bit hypocritical given you haven't provided evidence where you stated NHS CEO had a salary of around half a million?

Yes, I was wrong about that but it's not quite the same comparison plus I said somewhat evidence-based.

It now descended to he has done a night course in the hotel management despite the poster knowing Paul Reid has an MBA.

It that sort of ridiculous comment I was on about mostly.

It's perfectly valid to question what he is paid, basing an opinion on how he looks or ranting about it is not.

OP and everyone else should have applied for and gotten the job i spose.

Wonder why they havent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

How do you feel about Premier League footballers, for example?

Absurd comparison, Premier league footballers not public servants as in we the tax payer pay their salaries.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Absurd comparison, Premier league footballers not public servants as in we the tax payer pay their salaries.

Like I said earlier, it's all relative. I've earned 100k a year in the past for doing relatively fcuk all work. By that "metric" Biden or whoever should be paid 10m a year.

400k a year is nothing.

Advertisement