Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Reid: Value for money?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Like I said earlier, it's all relative. I've earned 100k a year in the past for doing relatively fcuk all work. By that "metric" Biden or whoever should be paid 10m a year.

400k a year is nothing.

400k a year is nothing? What planet are you living on? That is 35000 a month give or take a few cent that is not much off the average industrial wage that most people would be on. 400k is an obscene amount of money to be on.

Its.....less than 8k a week.

I mean ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Its.....less than 8k a week.

I mean ffs

Phew it's late 35k a month. 😀

Floppybits wrote: »
    400k a year is nothing? What planet are you living on? That is 35000 a month give or take a few cent that is not much off the average industrial wage that most people would be on. 400k is an obscene amount of money to be on.

It's really not. I gave an example of my previous wage. Compared to the amount of work I had to do to earn that. It doesn't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

The question was well asked... 'value for money?' not 'HSE Chief paid too much?"

I've worked in several 'gold standard' companies, domestic and international over the years/ Some of these had directors and VPs with incredible experience and were genuinely talented.

I have no issue with our taxes paying big bucks to the person who can run (or reform) Ireland into a country with the best healthcare system in the world. Ireland in 2021 should have very high standards... we're richer than most (per capita) other countries after all.

The issue I have with aul' Paul and most of the upper 'management' in our civil service is, they are paid A+ but operate a C- grade. right place, right time.

They play it safe, doing what was done before - because after all, no point upsetting the cart when 'I've made it'. The public sector recruit from within, they don't purge the bad from the good and they certainly don't incentive and hire the best.

So no, Paul Reid is not good value for money..... The HSE is no better than after him, than before him. It's not creative, innovative and something the Irish people are proud of. It's bloated, complicated and bad value for tax payers' money - it's negligent of frontline workers and overpays/over estimates its administrative arm.

People rightfully mentioned that the NHS chief is payed less..... So let's hire from private sector or internationally. Drew Harris has done an incredibly job with An Garda Síochána << let's bring in outsiders and do that with our healthcare system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Like I said earlier, it's all relative. I've earned 100k a year in the past for doing relatively fcuk all work. By that "metric" Biden or whoever should be paid 10m a year.

400k a year is nothing.

The mind truely boggles

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

If they want to be CEO of the HSE on the other hand, leave school at 16, install telephone lines, and hey presto ... the guy has no scientific or medical background whatsoever. No wonder the whole thing is a mess.

Thats a bit unfair in that he's employed as a manager. The best response IMHO is this one :
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    .........My problem though, isn't so much what he's paid, but more that he isn't in actual charge. We have a Minister, two or three juniors, a Secretary General and a bunch of Assistant Secs, a CMO + deputy, any number of information and review bodies like HIQA. Then we see 10 or 12 academics and medics speaking about virology and immunology and vaccination and operations and clinical matters etc etc etc.

Of course he's not value for money but as Larbre said- if you got rid of about 6 of that upper management structure it'd give him (or any CEO ) a fair opportunity to make decisions and improve things

Advertisement