Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart locks for front door

Options
  • 10-03-2021 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations?

Needs to go on the front door which has a 3-point deadbolt system at the moment.

Would need it to unlock when certain phones are close by but would also need it to work with a fob for kids that don't have a phone yet.

Alerts to my phone when door is unlocked would be a nice to have.

Assume they all come with remote locking / unlocking.

This might be a daft question but the door is painted already so would prefer to get something that adds on to the existing door handle so I don't have to repaint the door.

Edit - found a thread from a year ago & thought I should mention that my existing 3-point system requires you to lift the handle to lock so not sure where that leave me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

frash wrote: »
    Any recommendations?

Needs to go on the front door which has a 3-point deadbolt system at the moment.

Would need it to unlock when certain phones are close by but would also need it to work with a fob for kids that don't have a phone yet.

Alerts to my phone when door is unlocked would be a nice to have.

Assume they all come with remote locking / unlocking.

This might be a daft question but the door is painted already so would prefer to get something that adds on to the existing door handle so I don't have to repaint the door.

Edit - found a thread from a year ago & thought I should mention that my existing 3-point system requires you to lift the handle to lock so not sure where that leave me

If you have to lift the handle it's pointless adding a smartlock to the handle, it would have to be a nightlatch type for me in addition to the existing 3 point. If you have to go to the door to lift the handle then you may as well turn a key.
    Unless it's remote unlocking that you need.

I plan on getting one soon and using the nightlatch lock during the day when I'm down in my office, saves having to bother with keys.
    Will key lock if I'm away fron the house for more that a short while and night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Have a look at the Yale Conexis L1 but it’s pretty pricey and I’m not sure if it’s easily available in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Have a look at the Yale Conexis L1 but it’s pretty pricey and I’m not sure if it’s easily available in ireland

I think that is the one that best suits my needs but it does get some shocking reviews (as well as a lot of good ones)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B01N78HJKV/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Yeah I was looking at it myself - it comes across to me as half-baked and I think that’s why the reviews aren’t great

I’m hoping they launch an improved model to address some of the features and provide the hub/module for out of house control

If not, I’m hoping that some of the other players consider locks suitable for multipoint systems. I’m not really sure how the US get away with just a deadbolt.

There was also the Avia lock but not sure if you can get it from the UK easily either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Yeah I was looking at it myself - it comes across to me as half-baked and I think that’s why the reviews aren’t great

I’m hoping they launch an improved model to address some of the features and provide the hub/module for out of house control

If not, I’m hoping that some of the other players consider locks suitable for multipoint systems. I’m not really sure how the US get away with just a deadbolt.

There was also the Avia lock but not sure if you can get it from the UK easily either.

I have the Yale Conexis never had any problems with it. Mainly use it with the fob and as with any multipoint door you have to lift the handle to lock. Handy to have the tags on you phone too to tap to unlock or use the smartthings android widget. Also handy for setting up remote access with virtual keys(have to say I only ever used this once but good to have the option). Pretty sure you can set geofencing to unlock the door when you're nearly home(haven't tried this).

The app is ok, I never thought it was as bad as all the reviews say. Batteries seem to last 6 months+. It can be pricey when you have to but the lock, tags etc & the module for remote access but I'm happy enough with it.

Yale don't seem to have much competition in this market, most of it is US focused. The winner would being able to lock the door remotely but we won't see this this the multipoint system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

There is a "Z-Wave Module" (I've no idea what that means) that seems to give you remote access but I think it would only work for unlocking the door as you have to physically pull up the handle to lock it, so that can't be done remotely.

Can I ask you, Euphoriasean, why do you need the phone tags? I presume they're just NFC tags so do you need these if you have an NFC capable phone or is this one of the downfalls in the app that people complain about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

AFAIK you cannot use third party tags or your phone via NFC. What I have is the Yale tags that you stick to your phone.

Yeah i put that in the lacking function section alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Whatever you decide upon be sure to check into the reliability and the support life of the products you choose. I'm interested in this level of automation and control but think it's not quite there in terms of security. Check this little fella https://gizmodo.com/this-unassuming-little-device-can-hack-your-smart-home-1846448809

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Anybody tried the Eufy Smart lock Touch? I have a Palladio door with a lever pad lock and like a 6 point or something lock system. Dubious about compatibility.

Advertisement