Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller couple con two old ladies

Options

Comments

Happens a lot and usually to elderly people living alone. They are scared to say anything for the threat of someone calling to their home in the middle of the night.

Sad way to live :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

https://m.independent.ie/news/couple-conned-two-elderly-women-out-of-a-large-amount-of-money-with-sob-stories-40179209.html

Look after your parents/grandparents. There is some bad people out there in plain sight.

Scum of the earth . Should get 20 years each . Probaly get 18 months suspended !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

By the way won’t be long till the title of the thread have to be changed ... discrimination and all that .. these people have over 100 convictions between them we really are a joke of a country .

Filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Would anyone miss them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

spurshero wrote: »
    By the way won’t be long till the title of the thread have to be changed ... discrimination and all that .. these people have over 100 convictions between them we really are a joke of a country .

100 times they were caught....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The legal sentencing really needs to be looked at. How are people with over 100 convictions between them out on the streets?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

100 convictions and likely living in a free house with free health care and all the social welfare support available.
    I have seen it first hand, scumbags living off the state and a better life than I have working all my life.
    It seems, no sorry it is a fact in this country now the bigger lazy scumbag you are the better you are looked after.
    What a pair of scum they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Some people would claim a three strikes system as in the USA is Draconian, but perhaps we should at least have a 30 strikes and then a life sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I was so saddened to learn of this. It's often the most caring and generous people who are conned. I think one of the conned ladies is a retired teacher. I hope they get some of the money back but I suppose this is wishful thinking on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

JeffKenna wrote: »
    The legal sentencing really needs to be looked at. How are people with over 100 convictions between them out on the streets?!

Because weak willed politicians, who if anyone calls out this behaviour is pounced on in the media/anyone, same in boards for calling anything like this, what it is.
    Judiciary, an apparently revolving door, self serving system, 100 convictions looks to say so to me and this isn't some kind of rare occurrence.

No prison to put them, no interest to build one, no will to lock up people, especially women for crimes.

Some people would claim a three strikes system as in the USA is Draconian, but perhaps we should at least have a 30 strikes and then a life sentence?

Life? how about they serve the sentences they were handed, that might effectively put some people away for life, do it consecutively, not suspended, not concurrently. Any suspended sentences for previous convictions added and run them all back to back, not at the same time. No time allowance suspended for the however many years it took to take the case, put in cuffs after sentencing and brought away to do the full time.

Suspended sentences should only be where there has been no previous convictions especially of a criminal nature, where there is no likelyhood of them being a danger to anyone in society, and it can be deemed rehab can take place outside of prison. If a repeat offender, then they should be locked up, receive basic education/skills training/rehab, prisoners should be the cleaners in a prison for basic tasks and do the full time.
    Rehab for repeat offenders should be at the back of the queue of those likely to succeed at Rehab currently in prison (serving a sentence), but it also should be a different track.
    Any early release system should be absolutely strict, any recidivism even if not sentenced, should restart an existing suspended sentence, until proven otherwise.

Anyone caught in the act of a crime or likely to be a flight risk, it should be possible to detain (jail) before a Court decides, if they already have suspended sentences.

This way, we would remove criminals from society, reduce repeat offenders (because they will be locked up early on), discourage new offenders, and even if the latter isn't successful it will start removing people from society that add nothing to it. Children should be raised by state services possibly with the introduction to foster families, especially if younger.

Think of the resources wasted on bringing 100 convictions, where nothing came of it, thats 98 (allowing 1 suspended sentence and release to society) -99 more cases that could have been dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Just filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

spurshero wrote:

Are they travellers though? They claimed to be travellers to con the ladies but I don't see anywhere in the article that they were actually travellers. Not a surname I'd associate with travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I cant fathom any reason anyone with more than 10 convictions should be allowed live , let alone just he in prison.

There are bad people in this world, everyone makes a mistake or 2 but not 10 and certainly not 100.

At some point in the future historians will look back on our society wondering how we were such idiots to think you could reform these scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Your one in the picture is 39? Jesus...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

JeffKenna wrote: »

Because politicians will be labelled as "far-right" if they raise this as an issue.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Are they travellers though? They claimed to be travellers to con the ladies but I don't see anywhere in the article that they were actually travellers. Not a surname I'd associate with travellers

They seem to be the ones who claim to be travellers and this doesnt seem to be refuted by them or anyone, if its accurate, then Id say its fair to report, but either way what they did are the actions of scum, so whats absolutely clear is they are definitely scum, can you dispute that?

I cant fathom any reason anyone with more than 10 convictions should be allowed live , let alone just he in prison.

There are bad people in this world, everyone makes a mistake or 2 but not 10 and certainly not 100.

At some point in the future historians will look back on our society wondering how we were such idiots to think you could reform these scumbags.

Well Id consider that a bit harsh, what Id say is, there should be a set time for a set crime, no excuses.
    Mother goes to prison, remove the children from her care, no mealy mouthed excuses.
    The State could do with an assessment to see what capacity prison needs to be built, but off the bat, Id say 1000 prisoner capacity probably would be a start, use the funds directed to defend these people to pay an increased prison service/rehab/education set up.
    Build it and set up with different wings for longterm prisoners who have zero hope of getting out and not even being a decent member of society, by that I mean not a danger to anyone or a risk of being a criminal in specific ways nor influence new members, any cliques or gangs should be ruthlessly broken up. They should be woken for parade at 7am outside in the cold if need be.
    I dont know if prisoners have uniforms, but they should. No longterm prisoner should be afforded certain luxuries as they have failed at not being imprisoned longterm, there should be no incentive to be a longterm prisoner, privileges should take precedence over rights, like a right to watch tv (not to be treated humanely), anyone committing a crime in prison should be isolated within a wing with exceptionally limited privileges.

Just get the stats on how many people are sentenced and released, that should point to the number of places required, and any cell should have an option to be altered to a doubled up set up, so a 1000 capacity prison can become a 2000 capacity prison. there should be no distinction between anyone for crime and serving time, not gender, not religion, not ethnic background, if a psychological assessment needs to be made then have a wing for that, but it might be preferable to be in a general prison.

Build a new super prison somewhere, transfer as many prisoners as it takes there to fill to capacity, renovate existing prisons and start putting scum away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

CoBo55 wrote:
    You obviously don't live in Wexford plenty of O'Brien travellers here, same ilk as that duo too. Absolute scumbags of the highest order.

I never heard of them but don't doubt you. I learned something new today

Angering and depressing.

Wait till the sentences are handed out and I'll feel even worse no doubt as these two vermin may not even go to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Would anyone miss them?

Maybe Martin Collins and 'doctor' Cindy Joyce would.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Where is CAB and the social welfare in this?

No ****ing where as
    usual. Crime pays in this country and until these vermin and appropriately punished this will continue to happen.

One told the other about the easy touch she was and then she started preying on her too. Absolute filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

mloc123 wrote: »

When you're eating and drinking for free every day and don't have to get up off your arse because you're classed as a disadvantaged person for the sake of social welfare what do you expect you'd look like.

About time this country woke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Would anyone miss them?

Padraig Nally wouldnt miss them....

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

mloc123 wrote: »

Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What a stunner, I reckon she could've made ten times that if she embarked on a career in modelling

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

1874 wrote: »
    They seem to be the ones who claim to be travellers and this doesnt seem to be refuted by them or anyone, if its accurate, then Id say its fair to report, but either way what they did are the actions of scum, so whats absolutely clear is they are definitely scum, can you dispute that?

Well Id consider that a bit harsh, what Id say is, there should be a set time for a set crime, no excuses.
    Mother goes to prison, remove the children from her care, no mealy mouthed excuses.
    The State could do with an assessment to see what capacity prison needs to be built, but off the bat, Id say 1000 prisoner capacity probably would be a start, use the funds directed to defend these people to pay an increased prison service/rehab/education set up.
    Build it and set up with different wings for longterm prisoners who have zero hope of getting out and not even being a decent member of society, by that I mean not a danger to anyone or a risk of being a criminal in specific ways.

Just get the stats on how many people are sentenced and released, there should be no distinction between anyone for crime and serving time, not gender, not religion, not ethnic background, if a psychological assessment needs to be made then have a wing for that, but it might be preferable to be in a general prison.

Build a new super prison somewhere, transfer as many prisoners as it takes there to fill to capacity, renovate existing prisons and start putting scum away

If only the state had a parcel of land that cost €51 m to buy, and many many millions to secure since purchase,to build such a prison ;)

Angering and depressing.

Wait till the sentences are handed out and I'll feel even worse no doubt as these two vermin may not even go to jail.

"The court heard Gerry O'Brien, who is in custody, has 68 previous convictions, including theft, fraud and assault.
    Joanne O'Brien has 28 previous convictions, almost entirely for road traffic offences. The couple have four children."

Someone said 100 convictions earlier, I repeated that, it is 68+28 convictions plus 1 extra each, that will be the sum total of this, basically sweet f all will be done about it.
    Theft, fraud, assault, motoring offences (mostly) so other stuff also, why they wont report what it is is curious to me? because? she is a woman or a traveller? what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Free trip to Pontins for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I've no f**king sympathy for people who get caught like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

People without a shred of honour.
    Lock up and throw away key.

Advertisement