Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller couple con two old ladies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Comhrá

In Ireland, 30 strikes and you get. . . .a suspended sentence. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I think we all know what the sentences will be, he'll get a derisory sentence mostly suspended. She'll get a wholly suspended sentence on the basis she has children to look after. No doubt they have all the stolen money safely stashed away that they'll look forward to spending. How much effort has gone into finding out where the money went?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

I've no f**king sympathy for people who get caught like this!

Im sure you mean well, but it sounds different,

1000 capacity prison on the mainland,

Hardened criminals should be guarded by a combination of Prison service and the army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Are they travellers though? They claimed to be travellers to con the ladies but I don't see anywhere in the article that they were actually travellers. Not a surname I'd associate with travellers

:rolleyes:

Joanne%20O%20Brien1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

100 convictions and a multiple of that in terms of crimes where they didn't get caught or the cases were dropped.
    Could be pushing close to 1,000 various crimes?

• Advertisement

Can't wait until Pavee point come forward and blame this on settled people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Judge Pauline Codd said the letter contained “no remorse to the two ladies whose kindness he exploited”. “This letter is just about his woes,” she said.

Tells you all you need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

I think we all know what the sentences will be, he'll get a derisory sentence mostly suspended. She'll get a wholly suspended sentence on the basis she has children to look after. No doubt they have all the stolen money safely stashed away that they'll look forward to spending. How much effort has gone into finding out where the money went?

Likely sifted out to other people, until every penny is accounted for, they should be in prison, that might encourage them to say where it is or what it was spent on, any assets they have should be stripped.
    They sentenced to a long actual prison stay and anyone connected with holding the money treated as an accomplice.

what actually happens will be a slap in the face to decent people

:rolleyes:

Joanne%20O%20Brien1

39 jaysus. I can smell the BO from here.

Nasty cretins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I've no f**king sympathy for people who get caught like this!

I have. Some people still think there is a law to protect them from scumbags like this. Just a pity there wrong.

• Advertisement

This sort of parasitic animal makes a very strong case for eugenics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

https://m.independent.ie/news/couple-conned-two-elderly-women-out-of-a-large-amount-of-money-with-sob-stories-40179209.html

Look after your parents/grandparents. There is some bad people out there in plain sight.

If that report was in zwahili, I'd know from the head of her , it was about travellers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You obviously don't live in Wexford plenty of O'Brien travellers here, same ilk as that duo too. Absolute scumbags of the highest order.

Another shower in Kerry with that surname who regularly come up similar cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Ah the itinerants, shocked they’d do something like this. But maybe they are just a couple of bad apples. There’s good and bad everywhere etc etc...

Fear not. At least they won't be troubling Pontins.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I doubt their 4 children are going to be huge contributors to the Exchequer in future years. I wonder will any of the daughters inherit their mothers film star looks.

I doubt their 4 children are going to be huge contributors to the Exchequer in future years. I wonder will any of the daughters inherit their mothers film star looks.

Isn't that just it though in a nutshell!

This can't continue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Isn't that just it though in a nutshell!

This can't continue!

Aw but it will. Its the republics own ash for cash scandal.
    The more kids you produce the better the dividend.
    And don't worry the state will look after them with our taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Where'd the 107,000 plus euro go thats what I'd be asking, then I'd revoke any future entitlements to Social Welfare for both and their kids. Pay what ever money they could get to that woman instead.

Every halting site in this countty is awash with cash and vast amounts of high valued assets why there isnt a large scale project by all arms of the State to discover the origin of the cash and assets. Seize what cant be accounted for. You'd soon see a convoy heading for the ports if such a stance was taken.

Id even contribute to the cost of hiring a ferry to take them all away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Where'd the 107,000 plus euro go thats what I'd be asking, then I'd revoke any future entitlements to Social Welfare for both and their kids. Pay what ever money they could get to that woman instead.

Every halting site in this countty is awash with cash and vast amounts of high valued assets why there isnt a large scale project by all arms of the State to discover the origin of the cash and assets. Seize what cant be accounted for. You'd soon see a convoy heading for the ports if such a stance was taken.

If we ferried them all away then ‘doctor’ sindy joyce minceri extraordinaire wouldnt have any more reason to be pulling in fat NGO money to pretend most of them arent criminals.

Have you thought about cindy joyce and her 6 fugure income for making up lies and defending criminality ?

i thought not, for shame poster

• Advertisement

If we ferried them all away then ‘doctor’ sindy joyce minceri extraordinaire wouldnt have any more reason to be pulling in fat NGO money to pretend most of them arent criminals.

Have you thought about cindy joyce and her 6 fugure income for making up lies and defending criminality ?

i thought not, for shame poster

Excuse my ignorance but who is Sindy Joyce Minceri and why should I or anyone give a flying f*** what she thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Excuse my ignorance but who is Sindy Joyce Minceri and why should I or anyone give a flying f*** what she thinks

Shes the only traveller I know of to get a college degree, who then went on to do a phd in some made up pseudo science and now she spends her whole day advocating on behalf of travellers to let them do whatever they want and if something had happens to them then its the governments fault.

Shes the self declared queen of the travellers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You'd expect at least a 6 months suspended sentence for this... just like the previous 100 times he done it,, is it me or is it why he keeps doing it........... hmmmm, yea..

Shes the only traveller I know of to get a college degree, who then went on to do a phd in some made up pseudo science and now she spends her whole day advocating on behalf of travellers to let them do whatever they want and if something had happens to them then its the governments fault.

Shes the self declared queen of the travellers

So really what youre saying is shes educated enough to captain said ferry full of 'her people'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Googling would have been quicker than typing that and you would have got the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,058 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sorry, but Australia is now closed .

Ireland gets to keep its own criminals.

No matter their ethnicity, these are firstly Irish people. We get to sort them out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Angering and depressing.

Wait till the sentences are handed out and I'll feel even worse no doubt as these two vermin may not even go to jail.

That's a question I always wonder about - why are they not sentenced on the day? They pled guilty and the article sounds like the Judge was satisfied that there was no remorse involved.

Is it just so the legal teams get another payday for the sentencing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Well, lets have a look. Two travellers con old ladies out of money and they have a hundred convictions and they are essentially untouchable. 16 people in a prime stockbroker's agency pull off a scam and they are...essentially untouchable. One side is toerags with no education but as cunning as a ****house rat and the other lot are college-educated folk from the "right" side of town. Wouldn't hurt a fly,yer Honour,etc,etc. Both will have their defenders,inside and outside the corridors of power and realistically, the travellers might go to jail but it's highly unlikely that the "suits" will be slopping out any time soon. It's a great little country. Mary Lou had Micheal Martin on the ropes about it. All we got out of our most senior Government executive was umms and ahhs........apart from that,posters on here want the gardai to tool up and raid every traveller site yet they don't appear to want to raid the houses of the "Davy 16". Perhaps it's time we had a few stockbrokers doing the "perp walk",instead of just an endless cycle of Travellers going in and out of court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hard to express this properly - I am old now but would never give money away like that - even if I had any. Who is looking out for these dear but misguided ladies please? Sorry; badly expressed as I am so upset about this.

Advertisement