Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller couple con two old ladies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

68 and 28 previous convictions.. absolute scumbags.

Also the f#cking state of that creature in the picture, she would give you nightmares

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Well, lets have a look. Two travellers con old ladies out of money and they have a hundred convictions and they are essentially untouchable. 16 people in a prime stockbroker's agency pull off a scam and they are...essentially untouchable. One side is toerags with no education but as cunning as a ****house rat and the other lot are college-educated folk from the "right" side of town. Wouldn't hurt a fly,yer Honour,etc,etc. Both will have their defenders,inside and outside the corridors of power and realistically, the travellers might go to jail but it's highly unlikely that the "suits" will be slopping out any time soon. It's a great little country. Mary Lou had Micheal Martin on the ropes about it. All we got out of our most senior Government executive was umms and ahhs........apart from that,posters on here want the gardai to tool up and raid every traveller site yet they don't appear to want to raid the houses of the "Davy 16". Perhaps it's time we had a few stockbrokers doing the "perp walk",instead of just an endless cycle of Travellers going in and out of court.
    Talk about a false equivalence....How many previous convictions do you think the Davy people had?....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Well, lets have a look. Two travellers con old ladies out of money and they have a hundred convictions and they are essentially untouchable. 16 people in a prime stockbroker's agency pull off a scam and they are...essentially untouchable. One side is toerags with no education but as cunning as a ****house rat and the other lot are college-educated folk from the "right" side of town. Wouldn't hurt a fly,yer Honour,etc,etc. Both will have their defenders,inside and outside the corridors of power and realistically, the travellers might go to jail but it's highly unlikely that the "suits" will be slopping out any time soon. It's a great little country. Mary Lou had Micheal Martin on the ropes about it. All we got out of our most senior Government executive was umms and ahhs........apart from that,posters on here want the gardai to tool up and raid every traveller site yet they don't appear to want to raid the houses of the "Davy 16". Perhaps it's time we had a few stockbrokers doing the "perp walk",instead of just an endless cycle of Travellers going in and out of court.

I seem to agree with you on many points, but Davys is surely not what was the point in this thread here, there must be another thread, I guess it seems more victimless what the stockbrokers got up to, Im only guessing, having heard of it recently, I never tuned in to find out, knowing well its been long since brushed aside and nothing will be done about it either.

As bad as whatever those chaps (Davys and by chaps I mean lassies too) were up to, rocking up and browbeating/Bilking the elderly is scummier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Without wanting to victim blame, and absolutely NOT condoning the actions of these people - which are despicable - but how are people so naïve as to just hand over 100,000eur to people?

I feel bad for them while simultaneously wondering how they ended up in that situation.

Without wanting to victim blame, and absolutely NOT condoning the actions of these people - which are despicable - but how are people so naïve as to just hand over 100,000eur to people?

I feel bad for them while simultaneously wondering how they ended up in that situation.
    I really wouldn't judge the elderly/vulnerable people involved at all you don't know what their situation is.

I know what you are saying btw, but some people are too trusting etc

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Hard to express this properly - I am old now but would never give money away like that - even if I had any. Who is looking out for these dear but misguided ladies please? Sorry; badly expressed as I am so upset about this.

Family didnt know about it until Gardai were involved, that might be expected as not knowing something is going on means they weren't being nosey about their family members finances, which seems reasonable.
    The thing is, if that sort ever get the wiff of a soft touch, they dont give up until everything is drained, I will highlight openly that I have been critical of both the Gardai and Banks, in many cases, the people on the ground are facing these things head on.
    It was the bank that highlighted this and the Gardai that followed up, the Judiciary will no doubt get/let these people off the hook.

I think banks should/could possibly automatically monitor account holders accounts for unusual activity, allow people to set limits or agree to monitor transaction values to protect their assets,

The banks/CAB certainly should be monitoring any accounts of these 2 people, although they probably had the nounce to keep it all quiet and discreet.

I cant fathom any reason anyone with more than 10 convictions should be allowed live , let alone just he in prison.

There are bad people in this world, everyone makes a mistake or 2 but not 10 and certainly not 100.

At some point in the future historians will look back on our society wondering how we were such idiots to think you could reform these scumbags.
    Way over the top. Some people have mental breakdowns and accumulate ten plus convictions in a "spree" in a short time.

I see no reason why we cant divide convictions into victim/victimless crimes and if you hit 50 of the former you are done for life. (victimless I mean stuff like speeding or no insurance or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

I'm getting a NEW front door and am thinking of getting one of those nest cameras installed to my wifi iPad/smart tv.

fed up answer the door and find that is just cold callers selling schitt......

Then I can see who they are before i speak and if i don't like the look of them.... i just ignore the doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank you. I read the whole thread thinking this. The ladies should have told someone on the first occasion and had it stopped.

It was probably more old age that made them vulnerable; we tend in these years to seek to make folk happy and well. But we also end not to have the sense we were born with in some areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Someone earlier mentioned politicians wouldn't introduce tougher sentencing or build a new prison in case they are seen as "far-right".

If any of the political parties backed policies like this, they would gain support. Unfortunately, Twitter is seen as the barometer to measure public opinion. But people don't live on Twitter where every Tom, Dick and Harry has an opinion. People living in the real world would support it.

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    I'm getting a NEW front door and am thinking of getting one of those nest cameras installed to my wifi iPad/smart tv.

Then I can see who they are before i speak and if i don't like the look of them.... i just ignore the doorbell.
    The ring doorbell might suit for that got one a few weeks back and no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

gmisk wrote: »
    Talk about a false equivalence....How many previous convictions do you think the Davy people had?....

It's not entirely about convictions,it about the equivalence of committing scams.The notion that the Davy scam is victimless is also fatuous; they pulled a fast one on an organisation and got caught. The travellers in this case had physical victims but the effect is the same. Someone lost out;one side scammed humans and the other side scammed an organisation. Both parties made the mental leap that it's okay to pull strokes, that it's ok to target a human or a Company. It doesn't matter if you are in a suit in front of a computer or sitting in a van in a pair of jeans; the end result is the same.

I tend to agree, didnt want to go that route, but you'd wonder,
    maybe it seems like dribs and drabs, then maybe it turns to less than gentle persuasion, a more subtle hostile type, Ive seen it myself, a few travellers I had the misfortune of meeting tried it on with me, turn up with a few people and try persuade you to give a loa.
    First request was pleading, looking for 20 for smokes as his wife holds the money, blah blah, I started off with a polite refusal, then got offers of some work to be done, there were more than just 3 enquiries, the last one I told them to fcuk off Im not an ATM for them.

You end up having to make it clear if they are basically threatening you, and that may be a violent threat or insinuating it or anything like it, that you will respond in kind, some people arent cut out for that, or things turning that way, especially some old woman or man.
    They might not want to worry their family, but really the thing is never give them anything, never make out you have anything, never admit/deny anything, minimum dealings, minimum discussion, I wouldnt threaten them with the Gardai, Id rather have something in my hand to defend myself and openly call the Gardai, dont entertain them in any way shape or form.

gmisk wrote: »
    I really wouldn't judge the elderly/vulnerable people involved at all you don't know what their situation is.

I know what you are saying btw, but some people are too trusting etc

Still, the poster has a point

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Someone earlier mentioned politicians wouldn't introduce tougher sentencing or build a new prison in case they are seen as "far-right".

If any of the political parties backed policies like this, they would gain support. Unfortunately, Twitter is seen as the barometer to measure public opinion. But people don't live on Twitter where every Tom, Dick and Harry has an opinion. People living in the real world would support it.

Twitter is the home for things that ‘feel nice’ to certain sections. In the real world we know that there are inherently bad people and as time goes on hopefully more people can be vocal about what we need in this country which is a lot more prison spaces and tougher justice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

padd b1975 wrote: »
    100 times they were caught....

Very good point never thought of it that way !

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Where'd the 107,000 plus euro go thats what I'd be asking, then I'd revoke any future entitlements to Social Welfare for both and their kids. Pay what ever money they could get to that woman instead.

Every halting site in this countty is awash with cash and vast amounts of high valued assets why there isnt a large scale project by all arms of the State to discover the origin of the cash and assets. Seize what cant be accounted for. You'd soon see a convoy heading for the ports if such a stance was taken.

Id even contribute to the cost of hiring a ferry to take them all away

It probably went on a bollock extension operation so the bull would produce more dole scrounges. It certainly didn’t go on a facelift for his missus

Masala wrote: »

You could do that if thats your preference, I have a doorbell like that, get a good quality one, I have one that is not RING or NEST, and with updates it seems to have improved.

Sometimes cold callers are testing to see if anyone is there, so I dont always answer,
    But, if Im there and someone is persistant I openly answer the door and challenge them and refuse stuff, enquiries, requests, sales.

Cold callers selling eggs, selling electricity or gas contracts, I do it civilly but matter of factly, I dont entertain cold callers.
    I even am a bit grumpy if someone is persistant, especially if they woke me resting off nightshift.

In general I wont entertain unsolicited sales of knives, carpet, eggs, anything (these are things Ive been offered at my door), some seemed more genuine than others to me, others could have been part front for scoping out a locality

The only people I will entertain is religious nutters, because usually they are pleasant, I might even try convert them, I will openly tell them I think their views are astonishing to me in the modern world.
    Unless they are scientologists, those I would run.

1874 wrote: »
    Family didnt know about it until Gardai were involved, that might be expected as not knowing something is going on means they weren't being nosey about their family members finances, which seems reasonable.
    The thing is, if that sort ever get the wiff of a soft touch, they dont give up until everything is drained, I will highlight openly that I have been critical of both the Gardai and Banks, in many cases, the people on the ground are facing these things head on.
    It was the bank that highlighted this and the Gardai that followed up, the Judiciary will no doubt get/let these people off the hook.

I think banks should/could possibly automatically monitor account holders accounts for unusual activity, allow people to set limits or agree to monitor transaction values to protect their assets,

The banks/CAB certainly should be monitoring any accounts of these 2 people, although they probably had the nounce to keep it all quiet and discreet.[/QUOTE

Thank you so very much for this . I am simmering.

, Family need to be quietly aware of old relatives resources, and keep a weather eye. As their relatives did for them when they were small.

It is not " being nosey" and nor is it reasonable not to keep a weather eye open.

The question or Power of Attorney comes up often on Legal Discussion here.

And yes, the nearest I have to family have all my last wishes and bank details etc for when I die. And POA for when/ I get too old to cope. It has set minds at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I think when someone is getting old, (I won’t put a number on it, you know when they are acting not quite like before) and especially if living alone, the kids should somewhat take control of finances. Not sure of the legal side of it, but a naive old person shouldn’t have the chance to withdraw/transfer out large sums willy nilly.

At the very least, the kids could keep an eye on statements.

Anyway, those filthy scumbags should be ashamed of themselves, but we all know they aren’t. Despicable people, the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

These people are complete filth.

This type thing happens a lot more than is reported.

• Advertisement

Inishark is available. And appropriate.

Must close. So upset. About the family too. .

• Registered Users Posts: 86,758 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Happens a lot and usually to elderly people living alone. They are scared to say anything for the threat of someone calling to their home in the middle of the night.

Sad way to live :(

If they did this to any of my relatives or friends, I batter them as best I could :mad: preying on the old and vulnerable, lock them away for a long time plus repay back

It's not entirely about convictions,it about the equivalence of committing scams.The notion that the Davy scam is victimless is also fatuous; they pulled a fast one on an organisation and got caught. The travellers in this case had physical victims but the effect is the same. Someone lost out;one side scammed humans and the other side scammed an organisation. Both parties made the mental leap that it's okay to pull strokes, that it's ok to target a human or a Company. It doesn't matter if you are in a suit in front of a computer or sitting in a van in a pair of jeans; the end result is the same.

Well Davys werent going around to some old dear browbeating/scaring them into submission, no less wrong and maybe more effective at bilking someone somehow, somewhere, but I still think doorstepping anyone, in particular someone that is old or someone that is vulnerable is scummier, because imo it usually includes some form of intimidation, just being there or eventually becomes less than subtle.

Graces7 wrote: »

Thank you so very much for this . I am simmering.

, Family need to be quietly aware of old relatives resources, and keep a weather eye. As their relatives did for them when they were small.

It is not " being nosey" and nor is it reasonable not to keep a weather eye open.

The question or Power of Attorney comes up often on Legal Discussion here.

And yes, the nearest I have to family have all my last wishes and bank details etc for when I die. And POA for when/ I get too old to cope. It has set minds at ease.

While I agree with you, not wanting to steer it off course, sometimes it could be family that do it also, in this case not even that.
    Having an insight is ok, but really the bank should help them protect their assets to some extent.

The best way to deal with them is not to have any dealings with them, no amount of decency will be responded with decency, it will be seen as a weakness to be exploited. I wouldnt be happy if some of my neighbours who Id consider dopey to entertain anyone like this, seemed to encourage visits to the locality by looking at wares on offer.
    My reply is always, Not interested, or No thanks not interested, Dont want it or Dont need it, just short to the point, I wont look at stuff, entertain queries or get into discussions about the weather or time of day or anything.
    If someone tries to sell me electricity or gas accounts, I am civil as they are at least doing a job, although I am usually suspicious of scams or giving out details on the doorstep (which I wont do) or the alleged savings, I just say I am in a contract.

I got a nice bit of chat out of some religious nutters and on one occasion, there was one that was quite easy on the eye, I may have temporarily joined their cult/club but she wasnt the one at my door, that said, the woman who was was pleasant and I challenged their world view and we even agreed the world is going to hell, but in different ways, I may have contended their version of the rapture may be aliens but I considered aliens to be more likely to exist but still not turning up.

It probably went on a bollock extension operation so the bull would produce more dole scrounges. It certainly didn’t go on a facelift for his missus

Indeed. Look's like she was ridden hard and put away wet. 39? :eek:rough looking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

The main people who should be looking out for these elderly or vulnerable people should be our government first and foremost.
    Letting scumbags roam around being totally dependent on government handouts with over 100 convictions is totally mental. There has to be some kind of justice for there actions.
    And furthermore there is absolutely no deterrent whatsoever to stop this happening again. As we will see in most cases now the victim walks away the winner with no consequences.
    Paying useless scumbags to breed is never going to work and will have to be addressed shortly.
    If it happened to my mother or father I wouldn't be relying on the justice system to make sure justice was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Would anyone miss them?

Maybe once. But the second shot....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The main people who should be looking out for these elderly or vulnerable people should be our government first and foremost.
    Letting scumbags roam around being totally dependent on government handouts with over 100 convictions is totally mental. There has to be some kind of justice for there actions.
    And furthermore there is absolutely no deterrent whatsoever to stop this happening again. As we will see in most cases now the victim walks away the winner with no consequences.
    Paying useless scumbags to breed is never going to work and will have to be addressed shortly.
    If it happened to my mother or father I wouldn't be relying on the justice system to make sure justice was done.

I'm telling you, physical pain is the only thing these people will fear. 100 lashes with a thorny branch and make them eat nettles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

And people go crazy over a man sitting on a dead horse, state of that ****ing dragon, horrible scum them people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I'm telling you, physical pain is the only thing these people will fear. 100 lashes with a thorny branch and make them eat nettles.

How very wrong you are.

Losing freebies ie benefits is what these people fear.
    Having to work to live would have them terrified.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Alaninwondeand

Here is a Limerick couple who claimed welfare in the region of 350k. It will touch on maybe things people have said about CAB ect. The end result is they still have land in Annacotty Which is a very reputable area in Limerick.

https://www.courts.ie/ga/view/judgments/102bc2aa-f6f4-420c-8f34-dfafd8cc4069/4c2fc92d-13eb-48e2-abc0-a0d44885dc1f/2020_IEHC_499.pdf/pdf

Advertisement