Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Everard Murder - Serving Met Officer Arrested *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

please explain in detail how you would have dealt with the situation

I assume theyd allow the vigil to continue.

Its a pandemic, if you cant see why its a bad idea to gather in large groups then youre very selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BrosnanL27

What a load of boll*x that the death of Sarah has turned into this fiasco about vigils/who was right/who was wrong.

RIP Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

The women who are pushing this agenda at the protest end of the vigil only see Sarah as a ticket. The women who were arrested got exactly what they wanted, a high profile arrest and attention. It's not that long ago the yorkshire ripper was killing a woman every few weeks. You'd swear this is the first ever woman to be killed in this way. It's awful but humans can be awful and always will have that capability. There are bad people out there and always will be, they may even be relatives of these protestors and they don't know it. Blaming every man who walks the street discredits their argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Any tangible difference gonna come out off this? More street lights,cctv cameras? How to make the streets safer at night time.

As a guy I wouldn't dream off walking down any side street in London, has a shocking reputation for getting mugged/stabbed.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Any tangible difference gonna come out off this? More street lights,cctv cameras? How to make the streets safer at night time.

As a guy I wouldn't dream off walking down any side street in London, has a shocking reputation for getting mugged/stabbed.

This is it. I wish we lived in a world where it was safe to do what ever you wanted.

I will tell my son and daughter not to walk home alone. Its not safe. The victim in this case walked 50 mins in the dark alone. Thats a bad move.

Some people will call it victim blaming, but its not safe to walk alone at night anywhere. I wish we lived in a world where its ok, but its not.

When my son tells me he walked alone at night with his earphones in, I will rightly give out to him for being stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

beakerjoe wrote: »
    This is it. I wish we lived in a world where it was safe to do what ever you wanted.

I will tell my son and daughter not to walk home alone. Its not safe. The victim in this case walked 50 mins in the dark alone. Thats a bad move.

Some people will call it victim blaming, but its not safe to walk alone at night anywhere. I wish we lived in a world where its ok, but its not.

When my son tells me he walked alone at night with his earphones in, I will rightly give out to him for being stupid.

When it comes to the victims of casual and random street violence, I can guarantee you that, 90% of the time the victim of such violence is a man.
    I just find the singular focus on women's safety in such circumstances to be obnoxious, everybody should have the right to walk home undisturbed and without fear for their safety.
    The reality however is the word is not a safe space and people need to keep their wits about them and take some basic precautions to ensure their own personal safety. Just because you are young does not mean you are immortal, even if you feel that way. So many people these days seem to wander about with all the sense of self-preservation of a dodo.

Offering people simple advice like, 'don't walk home alone down a dark alley in a state of serious inebriation with your headphones on', constantly seems to be treated as some kind of affront to women's 'right' to do as they please and go where they like, instead of what it is, a common bloody sense statement that everybody should adhere to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread title updated

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

That's why they cover up the investigation into him? Protected him all this time, until he went too far and killed someone.
    More than likely there are people in that force that he shared his sick fantasies with.

Lay off the acid man :pac:

Are you not keeping up with news.

Mayor of London just now said he was given assurances this vigil would be policed sensitively, and has called police out for their excuses as to why they attacked those at the Vigil, and said he doesn't buy their explanations, and has called in The Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner into his office immediately to get answers. And looking for an independent investigation into those police caught on tape dragging and pulling women to the ground and kneeing them in the back and arresting them.

I'm only repeating facts.

This is purely a show for the hysterical women.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Like its a pandemic, a huge turn out could have lead to a big spread and more deaths.

Those protestors or vigil attendees, should not have been there.

Have we ever seen a spike after protests

• Advertisement

Yeh...sure let's just everyone do whatever the fcuk we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Black Lives Matter protest may have sparked new Covid spike among 20 to 30-year-olds in Birmingham
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8478133/Black-Lives-Matter-protest-sparked-new-Covid-spike-20-30-year-olds-Birmingham.html

Even if we hadn't - you can't flout rules just because you feel angry about something.

biko wrote: »
    Black Lives Matter protest may have sparked new Covid spike among 20 to 30-year-olds in Birmingham
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8478133/Black-Lives-Matter-protest-sparked-new-Covid-spike-20-30-year-olds-Birmingham.html

Even if we hadn't - you can't flaunt rules just because you feel angry about something.

I was genuinely wondering.

I personally hate this flip flopping on protests depending on the cause. Either all are condemned or all are allowed/not dusrupted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ruth Koppinger organising it.

Enough said.

Enough said.

A weapon trying to hitch her wagon to a cause to stay relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

So could a huge group of students meet up to protest the restrictions on their social.life and essentially have a big street party/protest?

Im unaware of any data that specifically says those at protests caused outbreaks, however its common sense.... large gatherings will increase the chances of the virus spreading.

Is there any data that suggests this vigil would stop crime?

Enough said.

Ah she loves hoping on the popular cause of the week. She lacks sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I often walk home at night. I haven't really got the luxury of getting taxis everywhere. As I work and stuff, go to the gym and don't have a chauffeur.

It's extremely low risk. If I am going to be murdered the likelyhood is that it will be somebody I know.

I would love to know how people expect others to never walk in the dark. Especially when it gets dark so early.

How do people get home from work in winter? Get a taxi every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I have brakes in my car and im a very safe driver but i still wear my safety belt just incase i come across some gob****e

Moral of my story is if there is something you can do to be safer then theres no harm in doing it

• Advertisement

I often walk home at night. I haven't really got the luxury of getting taxis everywhere. As I work and stuff, go to the gym and don't have a chauffeur.

It's extremely low risk. If I am going to be murdered the likelyhood is that it will be somebody I know.

I would love to know how people expect others to never walk in the dark. Especially when it gets dark so early.

How do people get home from work in winter? Get a taxi every day?

Its not just about being murdered. You could be raped, mugged, hopped on for the kicks of a few scummers....

Its not low risk.

Yes at 5pm and 6pm its not too bad if its dark but that tisk grows as you get later into the night.

Just because you havent suffered crime when walking alone at night after peak hours doesnt mean you wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just because you havent suffered crime when walking alone at night after peak hours doesnt mean you wont.
    That's the spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its not just about being murdered. You could be raped, mugged, hopped on for the kicks of a few scummers....

Its not low risk.

Yes at 5pm and 6pm its not too bad if its dark but that tisk grows as you get later into the night.

It's extremely low risk. Most people who are raped or murdered will be by someone they know. There is a higher risk or a mugging yes. But again fairly low risk.

The hysteria is amazing. Don't walk around after dark. You would think thousands of people were being murdered by strangers. It is extremely rare.

And as I have to work its not really a choice. Like many people I can't stay in my house all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I think perhaps the point is that THEY may ‘know’ you - ie see you on your way home daily, think you are pretty/slender/an easy target, start to deell or watch out for you - etc. They din’t necessarily mean your brother or cousin. It could be the guy who always takes his cig break as you walk past the laneway, or the man always out doing his garden, or the butcher from the corner shop... that kind of ‘knows you’. The disturbing, unpredictable, hidden in plain sight kind.

I think perhaps the point is that THEY may ‘know’ you - ie see you on your way home daily, think you are pretty/slender/an easy target, start to deell or watch out for you - etc. They din’t necessarily mean your brother or cousin. It could be the guy who always takes his cig break as you walk past the laneway, or the man always out doing his garden, or the butcher from the corner shop... that kind of ‘knows you’. The disturbing, unpredictable, hidden in plain sight kind.

I don't think so...the term is 'known to the victim'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

A few stats here about murder/ assault/ rape / harassment

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-56365412

About 57% of female victims were killed by someone they knew, most commonly a partner or ex-partner. This compares with 39% of men.

other violent attacks: Most violent attacks are by people the victim knows - 92% in the case of women

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Plain clothes police officers could patrol bars and nightclubs around the country as part of plans to protect women from "predatory" offenders.

https://news.sky.com/story/sarah-everard-government-promises-immediate-steps-to-reassure-women-and-girls-in-wake-of-killing-12247200

'Plain clothes police officers.' Sweet jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭celt262

And now morons are protesting here death here.

Morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

And now morons are protesting here death here.

Morons.

Absolute morons, even worse is most of them were the exact types screaming their heads off about the anti lockdown protests being a risk.

All protests should be banned and condemned during lockdown

Advertisement