Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Everard Murder - Serving Met Officer Arrested *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

beakerjoe wrote: »
    No one cares enough to hold a vigil though, yet some feel one is appropriate now for Ms Everard.

Obviously the vigil incident is driving the posting in this thread at this stage.

If a big vigil had been held for Ms Tserendorj, then the accusations of wokeness would still have been there. "Why didn't the woke crowd hold a vigil for xxxxx white Irish victim?'

Sometimes it's as simple as these things have a tipping point. The one that tips it over isn't always the best one.

I can definitely see yer point by the way - I'm just not sure that a direct comparison of one incident with another is valid.

If a big vigil had been held for Ms Tserendorj, then the accusations of wokeness would still have been there. "Why didn't the woke crowd hold a vigil for xxxxx white Irish victim?'

Sometimes it's as simple as these things have a tipping point. The one that tips it over isn't always the best one.

I can definitely see yer point by the way - I'm just not sure that a direct comparison of one incident with another is valid.

If a vigil was held that didn't include a blatant sexist anti men undertone, I would be wholeheartedly in acceptance.

This vigil today has been diluted by arseholes, much like the protest tomorrow will be too.

The vast majority don't care about the victims, but more about being seen to further an agenda.

It's sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

This is not an issue with "all men". It is an issue with people willing to perpetrate a horrific crime. Thankfully the chief suspect here does not represent "all men". Anyone who is willing to kidnap and kill another human being is not someone who is going to be dissuaded by a hashtag or a dumbass vigil. It is face palm inducing to see the reactions to this crime, let the woman rest in peace. Everyone is responsible for their own safety in a truly equal world. Why are men collectively being called upon to protect women? I thought women were just as strong as men? Protect yourselves ladies! I would tell my nieces and nephews to look after themselves if they are going to be out late. Ironically, it is the nephews who are statistically more likely to come to harm.

The reality in this case is that a person was in the wrong place at the wrong time, it could happen to any of us. Fortunately there are measures we can take to reduce the chances of it happening (which are slim to begin with).

In a truly equal world (that feminists claim to want), men and women would both equally be responsible for their own safety and decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

While I agree when you say there'll always be people saying "but what about X?" the Irish vigils absolutely stink of bandwagon jumping. Nobody cared to organise a vigil for the safety of women on the Ireland's streets until after a vigil was held for a woman murdered in the UK.

I hate the phrase "virtue signalling" because it tends to be used to mean "Something I don't like" but vigils in Ireland being spurred by Sarah Everard's murder do strike me as that. It's more about the organisers being seen than honest feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

On reflection, I can agree with this.

One of the things I would say about IFSC and that area is that it has been known as a trouble spot for a while now.

Along with other parts of Dublin, and Ireland, there is a sense that eventually some poor citizen will draw the short straw and be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That it takes a murder in London, of all places, to get people in Ireland asking "don't you think the streets should be a lot safer" seems pretty wild to me.

You also have the fact that it really had to be framed as "men vs women" before people could actually get passionate about it.

People should be free to walk the city at night undisturbed? Great idea but where has this passion been in decades past?

It would still be tragic but ultimately positive if this woman's death in the UK was some kind of catalyst for major change here in Ireland but I think we all know it won't be.

How amazing would it be to not have individuals constantly approaching you and asking you for change (harassment)?

Or to go into work and not have to worry about someone under the influence coming in and abusing you and then waiting for you when you finish.

Imagine if you could go out for a few drinks and walk home without a group of young lads beating you up for the laugh or pushing you into the canal for the craic.

Maybe our delivery cyclists and drivers will be able to safely do their work without getting grief.

In hindsight it's actually pretty amazing how as a society we managed to tolerate so many incidents of random abuse and attacks on our streets at night for year after year until finally this one incident in the UK brought about sweeping change.

I wonder how far away from the target I would be if I suggested that this whole reaction is just a way for middle-class women to shame middle-class men on the internet, while our streets remain a dangerous place to be night after night.

I sure hope the "protestors" aren't just jumping on the bandwagon here only to leave in a week or two so we can just go back to turning a blind eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

While I agree when you say there'll always be people saying "but what about X?" the Irish vigils absolutely stink of bandwagon jumping. Nobody cared to organise a vigil for the safety of women on the Ireland's streets until after a vigil was held for a woman murdered in the UK.

I hate the phrase "virtue signalling" because it tends to be used to mean "Something I don't like" but vigils in Ireland being spurred by Sarah Everard's murder do strike me as that. It's more about the organisers being seen than honest feeling.

Ah its the popular thing to do. Its all a vanity act.

I know people who I know for a fact have been and are big time racists. Yet they changed their facebook profile pics to a BLM filtered pic.

The hypocrisy. And its any cause going, whatever is the in thing. Its all to make them look good and to have people think they are decent folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56361419
    Maya Tutton, 22, says that her first experience of street harassment was when she was still at school, recalling: "I remember one particular incident when I was 14 and several men pulled up next to me with two friends and they made some of the most sexually threatening comments I had heard in my life.

"And I remember just being so scared and never feeling the same way in public spaces again."

But it was her younger sister Gemma's experiences that pushed her to take action.

"At the age of 11 she was out on a summer day and a man pulled up and shouted horrible sexual comments about her body and her legs and she came back to me and she spoke to me about it," she says.

"And I had to explain to her firstly that this had become a normal part of being a girl - that this was unremarkable somehow and that this probably wouldn't be the only incident. And on top of that, this probably wouldn't be the worst incident."

To sexually harass a person of any age is bad enough but what is especially shocking is that even the prospect of being labelled as a paedophile doesn't deter many of these perverts from making horrific comments about schoolgirls.

To sexually harass a person of any age is bad enough but what is especially shocking is that even the prospect of being labelled as a paedophile doesn't deter many of these perverts from making horrific comments about schoolgirls.

Whats this got to do with Sarahs murder?

Whats this got to do with Sarahs murder?

If you look at the category that is mentioned below the headline, you'll notice that the BBC thinks that it has a lot to do with the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

One of the images in that article from a group that highlights cat calling is about a man asking a woman for her number. This is the issue for me, claims like this devalue the more serious claims, as they are lumped in together. This is something the movement needs to sort out if credibility is the aim.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

If you look at the category that is mentioned below the headline, you'll notice that the BBC thinks that it has a lot to do with the case.

The BBC shouldn't think anything, their job is to report facts alone if they want to claim the mantle of journalism.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    The BBC shouldn't think anything, their job is to report facts alone if they want to claim the mantle of journalism.

It is to do with the discussion of females' safety in general in the aftermath of the murder.

One of the images in that article from a group that highlights cat calling is about a man asking a woman for her number. This is the issue for me, claims like this devalue the more serious claims, as they are lumped in together. This is something the movement needs to sort out if credibility is the aim.

Obviously, to harass someone of any age is terrible. However, the targeting of children is often regarded as being especially heinous.

Obviously, to harass someone of any age is terrible. However, the targeting of children is often regarded as being especially heinous.

This is off the topic though, no? Its related yeah, but its not directly connected to the murder.

This is off the topic though, no? Its related yeah, but its not directly connected to the murder.

If it's related then it's relevant. Obviously, we must be cautious about commenting on the case itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

No it's not off topic. Sexual harrassment of women and adolescent girls in public spaces is directly related to why women don't feel safe in public spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI-Edkor_a4/?utm_source=ig_embed
    There's the full instagram post. Swipe right on it to see the context. She was 15 years of age. There were 5 men, and also made kissing sounds. That is harassment.

volchitsa wrote: »
    No it's not off topic. Sexual harrassment of women and adolescent girls in public spaces is directly related to why women don't feel safe in public spaces.

It should have its own thread then. This one is specific to the horrific murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It should have its own thread then. This one is specific to the horrific murder.

I'm not a moderator and nor are you. I've explained why I think it's relevant. If you think that's wrong, you should report it and let the mods decide. Meanwhile the rest of us will continue discussing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Isn't the whole problem how criminal justice is administered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

besides all the talk about vigils:rolleyes:, any news on the case itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

tara73 wrote: »
    besides all the talk about vigils:rolleyes:, any news on the case itself?

What news would you expect? They appear to believe they have the culprit in custody. He has appeared in court I believe and is due to again soon.

volchitsa wrote: »
    I'm not a moderator and nor are you. I've explained why I think it's relevant. If you think that's wrong, you should report it and let the mods decide. Meanwhile the rest of us will continue discussing the issue.

Youre not discussing the issue though, youre discussing another issue. Im not saying your post isnt worth discussing, but its not about the murder incident.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

kippy wrote: »
    What news would you expect? They appear to believe they have the culprit in custody. He has appeared in court I believe and is due to again soon.

you are right, there isn't checked it myself.

maybe my post was an attempt to direct the thread to the original subject as I think this gender bashing or whatever it should be is a disgrace using this thread (horrible crime) for it, but boards/mods seems to be ok with it which doubles the disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

Hopefully her loved ones will be spared the pain of reliving it all during a trial. Such a tragic story, it would break your heart and make your blood boil at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BlockPartee

Couzens used police ID to falsely arrest and handcuff Sarah :( How terrifying.

A couple had witnessed this but had thought Sarah must have done something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Be right back

And driven miles away from the city. She must have been absolutely terrified.

I wonder has he done other crimes and gotten away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Armchair Detective, I could be talking out my arse but wouldn't these types of crimes usually be proceeded by escalating minor crimes or deviancies. Do people usually go from normal well adjusted to this. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Be right back

And he planned it well. Just reading about it, it's sickening what he did..

• Advertisement
Advertisement