Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Everard Murder - Serving Met Officer Arrested *Mod Note in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

celt262 wrote: »
    What are you getting at here?
    There wasn't anything mentioned about the friend and in what context they had guests when that's currently illegal in some situations. But honestly, it's not really relevant to the actual tragedy here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Witcher wrote: »
    I doubt knowing the locations of Ring doorbells is part of his reponsibilities.

I meant CCTV, not Ring doorbells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There is a lack of information about her friend, while anyone else who seems to know her has been identified and quoted in the reporting. So of course the lack of information about her friend and what she was doing might lead to some insinuations, but I think it is glossed over in the reporting in order to ensure the focus doesn't get shifted to lockdown breaches as some people might try to comment on that and perhaps take away from the key incident.
    Ok, makes sense. Thanks for putting it in perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I meant CCTV, not Ring doorbells.

They still wouldn't know where very camera is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Witcher wrote: »
    They still wouldn't know where very camera is.

They'd be more likely to know what areas were heavily monitored though, hence I said blindspots not just cameras.

ETA "just"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

They'd be more likely to know what areas were heavily monitored though, hence I said blindspots not cameras.

I would assume the “fly tipping” area mentioned earlier would be one of these.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭livia21

Tragic end to his and my heart goes out to Sarah's loved one's.

I wonder if the female arrested for obsruction of justice was possibly his wife giving him an alibi..which of course would hav fell through when he was spotted on camera.

Chilling to think he may have used his warrant card to lure her into a false sense of security and hope he has never done this before as London is such a big city with so many young vunerable women sleeping rough who sadly may not be reported missing.

I would assume the “fly tipping” area mentioned earlier would be one of these.

Her body was found a long way from Clapham. Even though Ashford is a commuter town, it’s very much a countryside area.

Into his car, along the south circular road then onto the A2/M2.

This weirdo who tried to abduct an elderly woman in Dublin sentenced to 6 years yesterday. Shes lucky to be alive.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40241504.html

I said in another thread I hope the powers that be keep an eye on the individual. Who knows what would have happened if she hadn't managed to escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Apparently he had just finished a shift at the US Embassy,his car was picked up on CCTV from a bus speaking to her so that's how they got their breakthrough.Working on a theory he used his warrant card and the lockdown measures as a reason to stop her.Awful if true.Still find it hard to believe she would have Willingly got into the car with him though.Both he and his brother joined the police after working in the family garage for years.

Interesting that the indecent exposure charge relates to a different female...seems they did their homework on him before they pounced.
    How did he get such a job with such a charge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

seamus wrote: »
    Well, if the story is that he stopped her on the pretence of a Covid restrictions check, he probably was like, "That's fine, do you want a lift home so?".

She would have thought, "It's dark and dangerous to walk home, this guy is a cop, why not?".

Makes it even more sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Seems a bit similar to the case near Bray a few years' ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

How did he get such a job with such a charge?

He was only charged with indecent exposure at the same time as with murder yesterday afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Deleted as my comment was totally inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

What a tragic story. The fact this pathetic excuse of a man was a serving Met officer and likely used his badge/warrant card to lull Sarah into a false sense of security is both terrifying and sickening.

The fact she was just walking home from a friend's house and did all the right things that have been drummed into our heads to protect ourselves. She did everything right and an evil person still abducted her. It makes me sick to my stomach.

We can only assume they have solid evidence on him. I hope him being named etc doesn't harm the case. If guilty, which I think he is, I hope he never sees daylight again. Such a sad and senseless end to that poor woman's life. Rest in peace

The question that comes to my mind is- how many other times has he done or attempted to do this?

He has a bike, a motorcycle a car and he was spotted in a rental car- so all manner of modes of transport available to him.

England in general is full of cameras both on minor and major roads- how did he think he wouldn’t be caught? Coupled with dash cam, bus and personal household security cameras.

The question that comes to my mind is- how many other times has he done or attempted to do this?

I thought the same myself. How likely is it that its his first time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Pipmae wrote: »
    The one in Enniskerry? The victim knew the killer in that case.

No she didn't where do you have it from? People speculated but there was zero evidence of any connection.

Taeholic wrote: »
    The fact she was just walking home from a friend's house and did all the right things that have been drummed into our heads to protect ourselves. She did everything right and an evil person still abducted her. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Can we please stop talking about the right things. There are no right things to do, you can lock yourself in your own house in an upmarket area and still end up raped and strangled as per the recent Dublin attempt.

If it was a random attack, and given he's almost 50, I'd severely doubt it was his first attempt.

Exceptionally rare for killers to start so late in life.

• Advertisement

strandroad wrote: »
    Can we please stop talking about the right things. There are no right things to do, you can lock yourself in your own house in an upmarket area and still end up raped and strangled as per the recent Dublin attempt.

I was specifically talking about walking alone as a female which was the case in this instance.

Taeholic wrote: »
    I was specifically talking about walking alone as a female which was the case in this instance.

It doesn't matter what she did or didn't do, it amounts to nothing in the end if you're up against someone you can't overcome. Can we just stop with this ranking of victims' own contributions or precautions they took or didn't take.

strandroad wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what she did or didn't do, it amounts to nothing in the end if you're up against someone you can't overcome. Can we just stop with this ranking of victims' own contributions or precautions they took or didn't take.

I'm not interested in engaging in tit for tat. Nor was I ranking the victims contributions in any way shape or form. Or at least that certainly wasn't my intention.
    There is one person wholly responsible for this and that is the person who abducted the victim. I do agree with you that it amounts to nothing in tragedies such as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.
    ― Margaret Atwood

Disingenuous tripe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

livia21 wrote: »
    Tragic end to his and my heart goes out to Sarah's loved one's.

I wonder if the female arrested for obsruction of justice was possibly his wife giving him an alibi..which of course would hav fell through when he was spotted on camera.

Chilling to think he may have used his warrant card to lure her into a false sense of security and hope he has never done this before as London is such a big city with so many young vulnerable women sleeping rough who sadly may not be reported missing.

As the British newspapers have quoted details about the couple, it was very easy for me to find his wife's Facebook, which is still 'open'. A few people have put comments on such as 'Metropolital Police, can you close this FB page to protect the children' or requests that FB do the same.

But there are many many comments such as 'rot in hell, scum' etc. In these instances, I always hope that the partner of the murderer wasn't aware of the actual crime, and I certainly hope that's the case here. I feel sorry for partners and families in these situations. I think if she's allowed to 'go free' his wife should consider moving away with her unfortunate children - perhaps even to her home country.

Edit: Oh I see she's already being described as a piece of human scum on here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/6686526/sarah-everard-wayne-couzens-warrant-card/amp/

Disturbing photo of the murderer and his piece of human scum Lithuanian lab manager wife who gave him a fake alibi in this link.
    <off topic>
    There's a certain irony in referring to scum whilst providing a link to the sun :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭celt262

As the British newspapers have quoted details about the couple, it was very easy for me to find his wife's Facebook, which is still 'open'. A few people have put comments on such as 'Metropolital Police, can you close this FB page to protect the children' or requests that FB do the same.

But there are many many comments such as 'rot in hell, scum' etc. In these instances, I always hope that the partner of the murderer wasn't aware of the actual crime, and I certainly hope that's the case here. I feel sorry for partners and families in these situations. I think if she's allowed to 'go free' his wife should consider moving away with her unfortunate children - perhaps even to her home country.

Edit: Oh I see she's already being described as a piece of human scum on here.

It's possible that she just said he was home a few hours earlier than he actually was under pressure from him, she may not have known anything more about it till the cops were kicking the door in.

On the other hand if she did know a lot more she is scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/6686526/sarah-everard-wayne-couzens-warrant-card/amp/

Disturbing photo of the murderer and his piece of human scum Lithuanian lab manager wife who gave him a fake alibi in this link. As well as the infographic and timeline - really disturbing. The english cops were so on the ball to get the dashcam of him from a car passing is over 50km away.

How can one police force be so on the ball and proactive and one in a neighbouring island be so utterly impotent and incapable?

God help that poor girl and her family.

I see the indecent exposure was him some time after her murder - I hope they slice it off in prison for him & throw away the key.
    What does the nationality of his wife matter?

I only saw Ukranian born, so not sure where Lithuanian came from, not that it matters.

Also the story states he was "further arrested on suspicion of murder and a separate allegation of indecent exposure", the story never states when that incident happened, I assumed prior and he was only identifed as the suspected perpetrator after the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

The_Dave wrote: »
    What does the nationality of his wife matter?

I only saw Ukranian born, so not sure where Lithuanian came from, not that it matters.

Also the story states he was "further arrested on suspicion of murder and a separate allegation of indecent exposure", the story never states when that incident happened, I assumed prior and he was only identifed as the suspected perpetrator after the event.

Also who says that she is scum. He may have threatened her to say nothing or he may have told her they were trying to fit him up for something and to lie. We don't know the full circumstances yet. If she knew what he did and willingly lied then you are right to call her scum.

Talking of Scum....the link is to the Sun newspaper. I feel dirty for not realising and clicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

IMO a woman giving a fake alibi to hide her husband abduction and murder of a young innocent woman is scum.

Values much?

Almost certainly not the way it would have happened.
    He'd have told her he did something minor (speeding, a fight, broke a red after 2 pints) and that if anyone rang to say he was at home.
    When they rang they'd have said they were investigating a crime and just wanted some help eliminating people from their enquiries, but not 'we suspect your husband of kidnap & murder'.

Advertisement