Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Everard Murder - Serving Met Officer Arrested *Mod Note in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Considering everyone is supposed to be social distancing, why would she get in his car anyway? Police officers can still spread Covid...

FFS, really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

New2Dubs wrote: »
    FFS, really?

Yes really. If I was his solicitor I would be mentioning that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yes really. If I was his solicitor I would be mentioning that.

Mod:

Don't post in this thread again

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Considering everyone is supposed to be social distancing, why would she get in his car anyway? Police officers can still spread Covid...

Right, her fault so.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

It's reported the indecent exposure was on 28th February in a fast food restaurant also in South London.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Taeholic wrote: »
    It's reported the indecent exposure was on 28th February in a fast food restaurant also in South London.

Interesting to see if the aspect of him being able to go on and escalate is followed up on. They don't seem to penalise sex crimes in the UK anymore (I'd like to know Irish numbers too):
    Rape has always been a difficult crime to prove, but the criminal justice system has now reached crisis point.

In the year ending March 2020, 99% of rapes reported to police in England and Wales resulted in no legal proceedings against alleged attackers.

https://news.sky.com/story/99-of-rapes-reported-to-police-in-england-and-wales-do-not-result-in-legal-proceedings-why-12104130

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

strandroad wrote: »
    Interesting to see if the aspect of him being able to go on and escalate is followed up on. They don't seem to penalise sex crimes in the UK anymore (I'd like to know Irish numbers too):

Its hard to say, on one hand it's an independent investigation and there is a huge amount of attention on every aspect of the case.
    On the other hand will they want to bring further shame or embarrassment to the police force in general?
    You'd hope the truth will come to light regardless, it's the very least the victim and her loved ones deserve.

The UK statistic is utterly terrifying and wrong on so many levels. Speechless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It's going off topic slightly but I am somewhat shocked to see how few posts there are on this tragic incident after the thread has been open, what 15 hours, when other topics of violence in this forum get such attention. It was a very active topic throughout yesterday on Twitter with many women having to defend Sarah from people implying she was partly responsible for having attempted to walk home on her own in the dark.
    Added to that. the fact that an active duty policeman just makes it even more troubling it will make people even doubt police officers in future should they be approached by someone claiming to be one.
    RIP to Sarah if it turns out the remains found are hers.

Because it’s a ‘person goes missing’ story. That won’t necessarily pique people’s interest. And that doesn’t mean people don’t realise how horrendous missing person cases are. But this has been questioned in the past, why young white women going missing seems to get disproportionate press attention so it’s easy for me to understand why people didn’t read the story and therefore didn’t realise what made it so peculiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Pipmae

It's going to take up to three weeks for to identify the body. They may need to use dental records. I've no words to describe what I think of the accused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

given the fact that he was 48, and his only prior was only a few months ago it does seem that something changed mentally for the guy. Unusual.

Brain tumour maybe ?

I always find the idea terrifying that a brain tumour could completely change the person you are and make you do something completely against your character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://news.sky.com/story/sarah-everard-green-partys-baroness-jones-suggests-6pm-curfew-for-men-12243194

Its actually scary that there are people out there who believe in stuff like this...

Shes either insane or trolling.

It's not trolling, she's making a point.

After this incident, London police made statements warning women not to go out alone at night.

This MP was merely pointing out how incredibly hypocritical it is that such advice is seen as being "just good sense", when advising all men to stay in after 6pm is somehow bat**** crazy.

There's a gigantic double standard that the lion's share of the responsibility for their safety is placed on women's shoulders.

If it was suggested that a man walking alone at night should be stopped and questioned by the cops, people would scream sexism and unfairness.

If it was suggested that a woman walking alone at night was "inviting trouble", people would nod in agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Would the fact that he held such a position of trust in society lead to a harsher conviction against him ? I would hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Brain tumour maybe ?

I always find the idea terrifying that a brain tumour could completely change the person you are and make you do something completely against your character.
    That was my thought.

With the caveat that a brain tumour which alters someone's thinking to this degree is rarer than rare; something doesn't add up.

You've got a guy in his 40s with (apparently) no previous complaints or suspicions of sexual incidents.

In the space of two weeks he gets involved in an indecent exposure, which then ramps up to a vicious and random murder.

I'd be strongly suspecting of some kind of severe brain damage or other mental illness. A sudden shift in behaviour doesn't make sense otherwise.

Pipmae wrote: »
    It's going to take up to three weeks for to identify the body. They may need to use dental records. I've no words to describe what I think of the accused.

Jesus, how long was she missing?
    If she has been lying outside for a while, animals could be responsible.

seamus wrote: »
    That was my thought.

With the caveat that a brain tumour which alters someone's thinking to this degree is rarer than rare; something doesn't add up.

You've got a guy in his 40s with (apparently) no previous complaints or suspicions of sexual incidents.

In the space of two weeks he gets involved in an indecent exposure, which then ramps up to a vicious and random murder.

I'd be strongly suspecting of some kind of severe brain damage or other mental illness. A sudden shift in behaviour doesn't make sense otherwise.

But then look at Mark Hennesey, abducted a random woman in a country road and murdered her.
    Completely out of the blue there too.

That was my thought.

Drug induced psychosis could be another possibility but I am merely speculating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Perhaps it wasn't sudden at all, he was just lucky to fly under the radar until he wasn't? If you look at the stats I posted, 99% of reported rapes are not progressed to the legal stage. What about unreported rapes, what about broader sexual assaults? It might be one sex attacker in a 1000 who even sees a charge. He might have well been among the rest.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Jesus, how long was she missing?
    If she has been lying outside for a while, animals could be responsible.

She was last seen on a doorbell cam at 9:30pm on Wednesday 3rd March. Press release on the evening of Wednesday 10th confirmed remains had been found but they had been searching the area from the day before when he was arrested.

I hate typing this but he either burnt her or chopped her up beyond recognition. :(

I hate typing this but he either burnt her or chopped her up beyond recognition. :(
    Yes that's my reckoning as well. The cover up and disposal of her body rules out a sudden mental health issue in my opinion. Too calculated and planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

She was last seen on a doorbell cam at 9:30pm on Wednesday 3rd March. Press release on the evening of Wednesday 10th confirmed remains had been found but they had been searching the area from the day before when he was arrested.

I searched her name on twitter a few hours before they announced remains had been found and there was a screenshot from someones snapchat in that woods at some sort of fire. It was in the shape of a grave almost and really smoky, as if it had been burning for hours. I can't find it since the case blew up even bigger but whoever posted it tagged one of the Kent's newspapers. Tho I think someones said it was a fly tipping spot so maybe it was just someone burning rubbish.

• Advertisement

Quite possibly I suppose.
    Hopefully, for her sake, it was post mortem

The police are carrying out a thorough search of the grounds where the family's former garage was located. There are military tunnels backing onto it. It's been revealed that he has previously served in the Territorial Army.

So it looks like the police are investigating if he has previous form. Goodness knows what they might find in those tunnels. I'm sure the files of some missing women are being pulled out for investigation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As a young man this feminist stuff just makes think, what is the point in working in and contributing to a western society?

Make me want to move to Eastern Europe or South East Asia.
    Close the door on your way out!

Pipmae wrote: »
    The police are carrying out a thorough search of the grounds where the family's former garage was located. There are military tunnels backing onto it. It's been revealed that he has previously served in the Territorial Army.

So it looks like the police are investigating if he has previous form. Goodness knows what they might find in those tunnels. I'm sure the files of some missing women are being pulled out for investigation.

Where are you reading this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JJayoo wrote: »
    While a suspect is will in the area the cops will.always advise women to be careful/not go out night, this.has been the case almost everytime a woman has been abducted. Its not sexist it's common sense, same way if their was an active shooter you are advise to stay indoors, as soon as the suspect is caught the advice is lifted.

Yes; as in the Hungerford shootings way back in the UK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I'm going to give a final warning on this and afterwards it will be cards and possibly further forum sanctions if this is not adhered to.

Discuss the topic - this is not a thread to wail and soapbox about misandry or other issues - it is a thread about a woman who seems to have been horrifically murdered.

Do not drag the thread off topic discussing anything bar the incident.

If you want to start a thread on misandry or other gender wars nonsense go ahead and do it in the appropriate forum.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,797 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

given the fact that he was 48, and his only prior was only a few months ago it does seem that something changed mentally for the guy. Unusual.

It's also possible he's been up to all sorts and just never been caught ,

Remember the guys is a Policeman its a great cover story
    Any calls to the station of man doing something strange and his co-workers aren't going to think there looking for the work mate ,

Advertisement