Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭50HX

He doesn't have 80mins in him if he does he looses alot of his impact,

He's a serious baller off the bench, can debate all night if he is worth it or not

If you have the cash to splash on what is viewed predominantly as a luxury signing then why not go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

The amount of time he's likely to be unavailable for also opens up gametime that wasn't there this season with Jenkins and Molony in place for Deeny and O'Tighearnaigh. Hopefully they can step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

He's a high 6's figures player if he stays fit.

If he was what you are saying, he wouldn't be a shoe in for any SA 23.

This is the kind of irish delusion i'm talking about by the way. We cannot win knockout games in world cups or with most our players in club comp but an absolute proven winner like snyman is somehow a flawed player compared to what leinster have. Its delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Not much to suggest Deeny is ready to step up. Needs a huge season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I could not care less about the "proven winner" thing, but he will be at best the 2nd best lock at Leinster yes. Ryan is better than him, and at least McCarthy is able to play for more than 40 mins.

Snyman is an impact bench player and nothing more, but that's fine cause that's the role he will have. He is not worth remotely near "high 6 figures" because he isn't a starter player. He is someone who looks great when he comes on against defences that are breaking up and losing structure. He is excellent at offloading out of contact, yet frequently does so when it is the wrong call. I swear half the perception of him is based on nothing more than what he looks like.

The fact Ireland have not won a knockout game at the world cup could not possibly be less relevant to this entire conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

It feels like people are forgetting that it is most likely a contract significantly weighted towards pay for play bonus’. So it could be big money, if he stays fit.

If he gets injured it’s probably decent money.

Leinster have had their short comings but business savvy isn’t generally one of them. Would expect no different here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I doubt this take is remotely close to how rugby salary negotiations actually go in practice….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭50HX

Are we talking rugby players or airline pilots...........................

Gets coat😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

What you're explaining here is exactly the same as what Leinster fans have been saying - yet you choose to paint it as being 'defensiveness' for them.

Snyman is similar, Leinster fans using the exact same logic that Munster fans and the media used to justify his second contract with Munster is also seen in a completely different light by you and others just because it is Leinster fans saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Not sure how you jumped to thatpost

As per my post he has a poor injury record for a club to spend significant money on

His impact is from the bench, when he played an entire game he didn't impact the game at all. Not like an Etzebeth

As I posted if he stays fit and gets a season under his belt that could change.

Now I said the exact same thing in two posts, now if you want to jump to assumptions and make up stuff I didn't say well off you go, some might call it delusional 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭theVersatile

No - what "some" posters (emphasis because I don't want to paint with a broad brush - I'd recommend you take a similar approach re: whatever you're beef is with Munster fans and Snyman's second contract) are saying is that Barrett isn't costing Leinster a lot of money, which is silly.

Like is it really that hard to admit "this guy is on a big salary for the year" (or half year as may be the case)?

If your stance is similar to @Former Former Former's reply, then fair enough, but I'm specifically referring to people who are borderline stretching reality and think Barrett is here on a pittance just because he turned down Japan.

Please point to the posters that have stated or even implied either player will be joining 'on a pittance'.

Feel you and others keep trying to knock down this strawman you've built in your own head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

potentially have high end impact

There’s that word again…

I mean, yeah, a guy of his dimensions should be a huge weapon, but he’s had 12 starts for Munster in 4 seasons and was impressing very few people with his form this season. Potential is exactly what he brings.

Maybe the offers he got weren’t up to his expectations and a year with Leinster is a good way to get back in the shop window.

was impressing very few people with his form this season

I think there's some recency bias here. He was poor in the last couple of games of the season, but he absolutely had games where he was exceptional since his return.

Like what? The "last couple of games" is a ridiculously large proportion of his gametime after all.

In the knockouts last year he had 16 min against glasgow, missed leinster, then 47 minutes off the bench against Stormers. He has played 80 minutes 4 times total in the last 4 years across all competitions. He has only ever started one RC or RWC match for SA (against Namibia…)

He is an impact sub player. There is nothing wrong with that, but he has never particularly impressed as a consistent starter. He has a reputation wildly out of kilter with his actual performances.

He was exceptional in a run of about ~6 games after his return including, and either side of, Munster's trip to SA.

Yes, he was poor latterly. But "impressing very few with his form this season" doesn't tell half the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭theVersatile

In the last forty eight hours:

They absolutely did not spend a fortune on Barrett… By all accounts he's here on a highly discounted 6 month CPD stint

there’s also no way we spent a fortune on Snyman

the reality of signing a player of this type is his (Snyman) base wage is going to be quite low.

If his injury profile he had in Munster continues, he could end up costing leinster a pittance (admittedly this is conditional and probably a fair comment if the pay-for-play rumour has any merit)

IRFU won't pay big money for a player like that

We also have people claiming Snyman will be on "bench player money" - he's most definitely on more money than you're average Irish bench player (Ross Moloney, Fineen Whycherley, Niall/Darragh Murray, etc.)

We also have posters using the quote from the Canes CEO about how he took less money than was offered in Japan; as if that offers any insight at all into his Leinster salary. He could've been offered 1 million in Japan and taken 600k here and that'd still make the Canes CEO statement 100% true - yet some are treating it like some bargain bin deal. The fact he came on less than Japanese money and the fact he's still costing a fortune are not mutually exclusive.

These are all certainly capable of implying that either player would be joining on a low budget deal.

Admittedly, I did miss @sydthebeat's post re: full vs half wages for the length of the contract - which is what I presume you were on about when you were saying that I was repeating what Leinster fans were saying. Apologies on that front, but there's certainly other posters who are on the slightly unrealistic end of things. It's far from a strawman or a Zombie by the Cranberries situation.

Anyways, that's enough grovelling for a night. Onto the weekend!

Fair enough, I didn't see all these games.

I'm not doubting that he is a very good player or anything here. But he has mostly not played or not been that impressive in the most important games for Munster. At the end of the day, as we well know in Leinster, you are judged on your end of season knockout games and he was fairly meh in those.

I think he'll be good for Leinster, but again purely as an impact sub. That being his only real role is obviously going to impact his value. Maybe Leinster are paying 500k+ for him, but they'd be bloody fools if they are and I don't think they are fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Im excited at the prospect of Snyman but I'd much rather have Moloney tbh. He's going to be a big loss next season

I haven't made any comment on the salary discussion, my only point is that implying he hasn't been impressive whenever he's played this season isn't at all true.

• Advertisement

Again, absolutely fair. Though he wasn't particularly impressive in the playoffs which is where you'd hope he would show his value and where you want your players to do their best.

As we know only too well, being impressive in league games isn't too much use if you don't show up in the playoffs.

Ah, we'll miss Moloney in the URC league games, but I'll be far, far happier with Snyman coming off the bench in Europe or a playoff than I ever would have been with Moloney. I don't think that should be up for debate.

Moloney was well capable when we were hammering Toulouse. I think he was an excellent option for the style of rugby that had us dominate the last few seasons

I think starting Molony in the EPCR final in 2023 and not having McCarthy in the 23 was a pretty massive mistake (entirely in hindsight mind you). We lost that match when Ryan went off and our second row was so weak.

I am distinctly lukewarm on Snyman, but he's a better player than Molony any day of the week and a far better player in a top class knockout match.

Jenkins was the issue for 2023, was blowing out his arse the min he came on. McCarthy absolutely should've been there instead, but I understand if they were reticent given how he was just back from injury

Stating something is 'not a fortune' or not 'big money' is nowhere close to your claim of 'on a pittance' or 'bench player money'. You're making a huge jump to claim that posters are saying it is 'a low budget deal'.

If not a strawman, it certainly appears you have a narrative in your head about what Leinster fans are doing here and reading everything with that view in mind.

My previous comment about Munster fans and Snyman's second deal was not a shot at them. I 'painted with a broad brush' because I never saw a single fan of Munster (or fan of any other province for that matter) claim that Snynam's second deal was at his full market rate, as everyone presumed there was a discount because of his many injuries. I dont believe anyone can claim to be having an honest discussion while saying he took a discounted deal previously due to injuries but not now with Leinster, when he has an even worse injury record.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Not really. Like, Snyman is being talked about as world class, game changing etc. If that’s accurate, then bog standard URC games aren’t the benchmark for him, at all, it’s knockout rugby, it’s the big days when you need your big names to be counted. By that measure, no he didn’t impress. Munster had a superstar second row who delivered in spades this season and it absolutely wasn’t RG Snyman.

Like, putting in a good shift against Zebre in February is what you want from Jason Jenkins and Dave Ewers.

And you certainly want 80 minutes on occasion. A guy who always gets the hook on 55 minutes either isn’t that good or doesn’t have the legs, and neither of those is a positive.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Japanese league is now stand alone and crosses over with super rugby. The days of players playing both are over

• Advertisement

I simply disagree. Disregarding every non-knockout game seems a poor way to judge a players form over the season.

Snyman was also excellent, picking a not-entirely-random example, against the Bulls in Loftus, right? That's not a bog standard URC game.

Advertisement