Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bath could be a tough game. They were the better side in the Premiership final despite being a man down for about 60 minutes.

The away fixture to there is always great as well. Bath is a very nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Rabbit in headlights syndrome seem to hit Northampton, played their worst game I seen from them all season and it wasn't down to pressure from Northampton. Kind of like them in first half v Leinster, dropping the ball, knocks on etc

Leinster should have more than enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

You'd have to think Leinster have been too safe and conservative in selection of the first choice side over the past number of seasons.

James Ryan only made his first Champions Cup start in October 2017 because Fardy withdrew late against Montpellier. This was in a season when Ireland won a Grand Slam with Ryan as a starter. Just four months prior Leinster's original plan was to not have Ryan in the XXIII for Europe (Fardy and Toner starting, with Molony benching).

Joe McCarthy came off the bench for Ireland in a World Cup QF before Leinster promoted him ahead of the uncapped Ross Molony.

It took Farrell backing JGP as his man for Ireland before Leinster had him as definitive first choice ahead of Luke McGrath. The former is now one of the best 9s in the game, which is a level McGrath never threatened to get to.

If players of the calibre of Ryan, McCarthy and Gibson-Park are promoted too slowly what chance does Foley have of leapfrogging McGrath? What chance does Harry Byrne have of being backed ahead of the incumbent Ross? It's all a bit safe and conservative. It's almost as if there's an attitude of the pecking order is the pecking order and it's going to take a lot for anything to change that.

Having a settled side is good. But are there players in the squad who could strengthen the first choice XV or XXIII if they were backed?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FtD v2

Ah a lot of that is a big stretch.

James Ryan had just turned 21 that season and played in every game in the Champions Cup that season, including starting every knock out game and a winning final. It was his first season of pro rugby.

Joe McCarthy also made the match squad for a European Cup QF, SF and final as a 21 year old in his first season of pro rugby.

Whatever about JGP - I don’t think there is much of an argument that Ryan and McCarthy didn’t get opportunities at a very young age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think the upcoming season is likely to be the last hurrah for some of our long time players. It's a great chance to win silverware with Barrett /Slimani and Rg. However, lads are getting on a bit in age and some are on the wrong end of 30.

I also think Leo will ride off into the sunset when his contract ends. I'm hoping that JN does not take the head job. Imo, we got the wrong Bok coach. Nutsy Rassie is brains in S.A.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The one we should have got was Felix Jones.

Why? Felix is copying Nienaber in his role in England. He was bombed out of Munster when he was attack coach, I think this was a poor decision by Munster by the way as Felix cearly wasn't the issue but it gave the head coach more time

According to Jackman a lot of his roll in SA was tracking players around the World, flying around to games and checking form etc. According to some of the boks he was attack coach for them when he was coaching

Now he is defence with England?

England hired a load of Bok coach's post last WC, then fired them all over the next few years when they worked out none of them are Rassie.

I like Felix, always have and he should be still with Munster, but as a Leinster coach? no thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He was bombed out of Munster when he was attack coach, I think this was a poor decision by Munster by the way as Felix cearly wasn't the issue but it gave the head coach more time

This isn’t true.

He (and Flannery) were both offered contracts they turned down.

There is an argument that Leo is a conservative selector.

But you've missed the mark using Ryan and McCarthy as examples haha. Both I would consider the arguments to Leo taking chances and backing youth.

Ryan got his Leinster debut at his first practical opportunity. He had a hamstring avulsion in the first year of his academy early in the season so missed the entire thing. Now there is no way of knowing if Leinster would have played him that season but given he made his test debut that summer… I think it's a safe bet that he would have seen meaningful game time.

McCarthy saw significant game time in his first season in the academy. He was playing senior rugby for Leinster essentially any time he was fit. Fitness was an issue for him in his first 2 season we just didn't hear about it because Leinster don't release updates on academy players. A year one academy player getting any game time in a final is significant. Yes it was only 4 minutes. But it was still significant for a player that young to be playing in Europe.

McGrath vs JGP I do agree with you however. Leo has persisted with Luke for years despite the fundamentals of a 9 being lacking. I do think there are bigger factors at play in terms of the overall development of 9s at Leinster. But we have seen glimpses of just how good a player Patterson can be since he left. Perhaps he should have been backed sooner. Foley has rarely been fit the last 2 seasons but I would like to see him backed more too. Gunne was the best underage 9 from Leinster in recent memory. I would be hoping for a breakout from him next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭PMC83

World Cup winner or not I wouldn't want Rassie anywhere near Leinster. I don't think he'd be a fit on or off the pitch. We don't do well playing that style of rugby and tbh coaches that like the sound of their own voices don't age well, particularly if the results don't go their way. Let's also be honest, he left Munster high and dry the second he got a whiff of something else he wanted more, not exactly full of integrity.

No doubt he left Munster high and dry. Agreed, he's not got the integrity in spades. I wouldn't want him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭johnh6767

I think it’s harsh and a short lived memory to criticise Leinster for not giving opportunity to the younger set of players. Look at the number of new caps this season consistent with previous years. On 9 McGrath has been a stalwart of Leinster and a top performer when the Irish team were in play, captaining many times. Next year Foley and the very exciting Gunne will be given a lot more game time as the front line replacements to JGP. Agree age can’t stifle true talent and as we will see with Jamie Osborne and Sam, the top performers can rise to the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I’ve been skeptical of RGS as a player but I absolutely do not want him here as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Agreed. It'll take one referee to stand up and see that his occasional shïthousery is beyond the pale at times and it'll cost us big.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,188 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Our own Joe McCarthy has nothing to learn from RG when it comes to late hits on half-backs. People in glass houses…

Unfortunate one for poor Casey. Hope he's OK

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Dan Sheehan has done his ACL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Out for the season so. Utter disaster for Leinster, Ireland and Sheehan personally.

He was odds on to be selected as the Lions starting booker for the Australia tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,188 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I know I'm not an expert, but when he was getting strapped up I commented that if a player needs that much strapping then surely they have to come off.

Surrey the sub would be better able to do the job AND you're risking aggravating the injury.

I never understand why they would strap a players ankle and boot and leave them on the pitch. Surely they can't run properly and risk further injury. Just use the sub.

• Advertisement

Not sure it is utter disaster.

We have Kelleher, McKee, Barron. Not sure if anyone in the academy who could come in for games

Kelleher was in the Lions squad the last time without any minutes and was class before his run of injuries. Losing him as well would be a disaster.

With the amount of minutes Sheehan has played missing a Lions tour might not be the worst thing for him been a selfish Irish/Leinster fans. Most of the players who missed the tours seem to fly it afterwards, the players who have gone on them seem to end up with runs of niggly injuries.

But if ACL done now, in reality he could be back in time for end of next season/Lions tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FtD v2

It's not just that though - next season is a massive season for Leinster. They've pushed their chips into the middle of the table to try and win, and to be without one of our very best players for the season is obviously a disaster.

On the Lions - I do get the argument you've made about how players who've missed out have generally looked the better for it, but it's a massive personal honour for the players and to me it's a shame when they miss that.

I'd also be fearful that not everyone recovers as well as you'd like from an ACL, and especially for a guy like him where his power, speed, agility and footwork were such huge parts of his game, you'd be fearful. I really hope I'm wrong on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A bit glass half empty.

Sheehan has shown himself to be a quick healer in the past. It happened on the first week of July. I'd be fairly optimistic on him playing rugby at some point next season. Different players have different recovery times. VDF ruptured his ACL in the opening game of the 2018 6N against France. He played 80 minutes for Leinster 7 months later in their season opener against the Dragons.

Marx got injured last season and back this season. About long term affect, it was a huge injury not so long ago, now it seems a lot of players get them, a long recovery but it doesn't seem to affect long term. Hopefully the same in this case

I know the Lions is a huge personal honour, plus you don't have Gatland so it might not have as big an affect on the players, but the majority of the Irish players going on last few ended up with injury issues for years after. Im not sure he will miss it.

Why would they not have subbed him when he was injured? Awful news. That's a right kick up the hole.

We have Gus McCarthy who'll be a year 2 academy and would be considered one of the more exciting prospects. He's made his debut already.

Time will tell but I'm sure he's ready to take his chance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Biggest risk now is Kelleher also getting injured, he has a pretty poor record over the past number of seasons. Kelleher himself is an outstanding player so if he can stay fit I think Leinster should be ok for Europe.

Not really in the last 12 months, it seemed to be aroudn that shoulder which was hit in the first La Rochelle final, think he was available for most of last season

Im sure f the team was aware it was that serious he would have been taken off

• Advertisement

Advertisement