Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,386 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yes you're right. I meant to ask if last week was the first time they played him at 13 because I only remember him playing in the no 12 jersey last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

deleted post

No, all his starts were at 13 last season.

He hasn't played 12 in senior rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So 75% capacity in the Aviva. Does anyone know if they will be serving pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

No booze yet. Likely to be close to November before bars are open afaik

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Dear Sheep Shagger, 

Leinster Rugby are delighted to confirm that after nearly 20 months of quiet stands, we are taking a significant step towards full capacity stadia again.

In line with current Government guidelines announced last month, Leinster Rugby will look to host up to 75% of Aviva Stadium capacity at the United Rugby Championship game against Vodacom Bulls on Saturday, 25th September 2021 (Kick Off: 5.15pm).

Season Ticket Holders can access their allocated ticket for this game through their season ticket account. Tickets can be downloaded to your Apple Wallet/Google Pay account or you can choose the print at home option also.

Please note that seat upgrades will not be available for the Bulls game due to the reduced capacity in Aviva Stadium.

In line with Government guidelines for the return of supporters to stadia at 75% capacity, all tickets will be available to immune supporters.

An immune supporter is a person designated by government as fully vaccinated, or recovered from COVID-19 within previous six months, or attending the game as an accompanied minor (under 18).

The onus will be on the ticket holder to comply with these conditions and wear their masks. Adult supporters should also note that proof of vaccination or recovery may be requested prior to entry. A special FAQ page is available on our website with more details here

An exclusive pre-sale window opens tomorrow 16th September at 10am to season ticket holders and a number of special offers will be available.  

The exclusive offers available to season ticket holders are as follows:

• A limited number of €10 tickets in the North Stand
    • Buy two Premium Level tickets in the South Stand for €100 (saving €30)

Click here to purchase additional tickets from Thursday @10am

The remaining tickets will become available to the public on Friday 17th September at 10am.

We would again like to remind season ticket holders that there are no physical season ticket cards in operation for the 2021/22 season and we would ask supporters to download their tickets to their phones or devices or to print the tickets at home and to arrive to Aviva Stadium with the tickets ready to scan.

We have made significant progress over the last few months hosting test events in RDS Arena, Energia Park and Aviva Stadium working closely with all our stakeholders, partners and you, our supporters, who have followed all Covid guidelines and recommendations.

That needs to continue, we need to remain vigilant and adhere to all Government guidelines, but we are confident that together, we can do just that.

We can’t wait to see as many of you, your friends and families as possible at Aviva Stadium on the 25th!

Kind Regards,

Leinster Rugby 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Bit annoying that we can't change seats. They always put us on the far side of Aviva, which is a pain in the ass to get to

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

With social distancing your normal seats maynot be the normal ones either...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Not sure but they are the normal side i.e. East lower. The tickets are available online already

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Would Porter transition back to lh comfortably? Would this affect his international prospects? I suppose Leinster feel that Healy is not at the top level anymore, if this is true.

Healy at th is great, imo. He could add a year or so on to his career! But, his international prospects would be dim?

Leinster do need big efforts from Dooley, Milne and Byrne. Hopefully, they all perform well and push each other this season.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Sheehan goes at hooker! I think he will be included in the international squads . He has great promise and he should challenge Kelleher for the starting jersey fairly soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Whiff of this Simpson's scene off the whole idea:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The simple reality is that we don’t have a stand out LH option at either Leinster or Ireland. Porter is an obvious choice given his background and his ability level. We could have him on the bench behind Furlong or on the pitch with Furlong. For both Leinster and Ireland.

Leinster would ideally be

Porter, Kelleher, Furlong starting

Healy, Sheehan, Ala’alatoa on the bench

Ireland would ideally be

Porter Kelleher Furlong starting

Kilcoyne Herring Bealham/O’Toole on the bench

Sadly I think that shows our lack of quality depth in Ireland at the moment. But for Leinster that’s pretty strong.

What are people's expectations for the season?

I fully expect us to pick up another league.

I think we're a bit light at 2nd row and a signing there would have been useful.

A 5th European Cup should be the goal, but I think it will be tricky. Toulouse look like they'll be a formidable outfit for the foreseeable. Exeter, Racing, La Rochelle will all be very tough to beat. Teams like Leicester and Harlequins are improving. I think we're right up there with the best, but a fair bit off the level we we're in 17/18.

Sexton's durability is a worry, he can't be relied upon and we missed him badly against LAR last season. I'm hoping Harry Byrne has a break out season.

Porter moving to LH makes our front row a formidable unit. The best in Europe I'd say. Our back row will be top class as always.

Centre and Back 3 is as good as anyone.

My prediction is another league and semi finals of the H Cup.

I don't really believe the team can win in Europe. Even at full strength, I think we are not as good as Toulouse or Sarries.

The league is possible, but the Boks could win it, maybe the Bulls. Munster will be thereabouts also!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Leinsters outside backline is not in the top tier in europe talent wise and hasn't been for some time. If Leinster can't beat up a side with their forwards there backs aren't going to to be difference makers at the highest level due to a lack of elite size/athleticism. Are we still the best passing team in europe? i'm not so sure.

James Lowe, Jordan Larmour and Garry Ringrose are all coming off less than stellar seasons and need to re-discover some health, form and consistency.

Personally I think the province have failed to progress over recent seasons due to the ability to win most league games with the forwards and the gameplan has become pretty easy to figure out and when leinster face a team with more power they struggle. Picking and going over and over 5m out is hardly going to be enough against huge french packs.

Will they win the URC? Probably but what does that mean when it comes to europe? Not a whole lot.

And I wouldn't write Munster off this year if they can get their 3 south africans locks on the field along with Carbery, the gap has been closing year on year due to their improvement and leinster's stalling.

Saying all that how far will they go? Depends on the health and form of a few key players. They badly need James Ryan to rediscover some form and Ryan Baird to emerge alongside him and they are very reliant on Henshaw/Sexton for the backline to have some edge to it.

Post edited by Lsdrugbyfan on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The only team in Europe who’s backline might be able to win a game for them, when the forwards are getting beaten up is Toulouse.

Our biggest issue is 10 because there’s still a huge drop off from Sexton. Ringrose will more likely than not come back into form. The summer off and time to heal up from the injuries bothering him will help.

Hopefully this year will see Ryan and Baird form our starting partnership. With the latter expanding his game. Ryan was still doing most of the basics at a very high level last year but had failed to progress his game. The summer off and not making the lions will probably push him forward.

getting Leavy back and fully fit would also make a huge difference.

Toulouse, Racing and La Rochelle have explosive backlines capable of changing games, Leinster do not.

Leinster have an efficient backline that can take advantage of a pack going forward, when that pack isn't going forward..

Yet Racing have consistently come up short against teams their pack can’t dominate. I wouldn’t say LAR’s backline is anyway better than ours as was proven in the final.

So we won the HEC with a back line of McGrath-Sexton-Nacewa-Henshaw-Ringrose-McFadden-Kearney but we can’t win a HEC with a back line of McGrath-Sexton-Lowe-Henshaw-Ringrose-Larmour-Keenan? Hmmm…..

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

LARs gameplan is very based on their pack going forward, its just how they go forward is a bit different to the norm. Its their defence that actually wins games.

in the top 14 last year they had the highest points difference, yet scored the least amount of the top 5. Its the fact that they conceded over 100 points less than their nearest rivals that had them so high.

after 2 games in the top 14 this year so far they have the 3rd lowest trys scored. fair enough they have had a really tough opening few games, but thats evidence alone that their backline isnt strong enough to win games where their forwards dont dominate.

id take lowe, larmour and keenan above rhule, leyds and dulin right now.

we won that HEC due to the pack.. is the leinster pack as good now? as capable of dominating other big packs? Evidence would suggest not.

Nacewa is a big loss and lots not pretend Sexton hasn't dipped from 2018, Larmour isn't as reliable as McFadden and Ringroses form has fallen way off.

Either way Leinster are a forward orientated team now, they don't have an explosive backline and when those forwards can't dominate leinster struggle. The evidence is there for all to see, there are reasons the drive for 5 stars looks more and more unlikely to happen.

I know it's sort of taboo to state that the leinster backline isn't some sort of all-star backline that is capable of cutting open the best defences but that's the reality. Leinster grind down opponents to get the win.

I'm surely not the only one who got sick of watching leinster pick and go endlessly last season from 5m out?

Post edited by Lsdrugbyfan on

We didn’t win in 2018 due to our pack alone. That’s just simply false. All we need to do is hold our own against opposition packs. And we absolutely have the pack that can do that.

Form comes and goes. Ringrose was both Ireland and Leinster player of the year in 19-20. There’s no reason he can’t get back to that this season. Henshaw is in the form of his life too. Keenan brings a lot more than Kearney did as an attacking FB and Nacewa wasn’t the player he had been by the time 2018 rolled around. If Lowe finds form, which again he can easily do, he’d be a better winger than Nacewa was in 2018.

Leinsters biggest issue this season is the format and the schedule. Going into knock out games directly from the 6Ns is going to be harder for us than any opponent we may face given the number of internationals we have.

Do I think we’ll win the HEC? In all honesty, no. Do I think we can? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Leinster have a backline as good as anyone in Europe. The huge advantage that Toulouse have is Kolbe and after that they're good but nothing we should feel inferior to. We probably need a bit of luck with injuries because the depth maybe isn't great but Henshaw, Ringrose, Lowe, Larmour and Keenan is a top-class 11-15.

Our big unknown is how whether Sexton can contribute this year, and if he can't, can H Byrne step up? If the answer to either of those is 'yes', then we'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ulster signing Duane Vermuelen is interesting. He's 35 so definitely not at his peak, but he's still a very good player. I don't think Ulster have the squad to challenge Leinster, but catch us on a slightly off day with a fully firing Vermuelen and we could be in trouble.

Ringrose is coming off a dreadful injury plagued season. His form will return if he's 100%.

Our issues are in the pack! Will James Ryan get over the concussions? I think his form was good for the 6nations! Nevertheless, the concussions are worrying!

Kelleher although an international, still needs to improve his basics. Our line outs were iffy and need improvement.

Healy was showing his age and was not a force last season. Yet, he's better than the back ups.

If Toner is 1st choice, I think we're fecked. He is not up to it anymore and I think he's just a passenger out there against the top level sides.

Our backline won't matter if our pack struggles.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kolbe joined Toulon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Kolbe doesn't play for Toulouse anymore. Toulon bought out his contract for a reported €2 million.

Leinsters biggest issue is that the blueprint to beat them is out there and they've showed little progress in overcoming that blueprint over the past 3 seasons. Nor have they signed players that will help them win games at the highest level.

This season will likely end like recent ones, with the leinster pack beaten up and the leinster attack looking blunt. I just hope that it won't be Munster giving them the beating.

• Advertisement

Personally I think Dupont is who makes the difference for Toulouse. A winger can only make so much difference.

Advertisement