Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Leinsters defensive line and tackling is quality. Some big hits put in. Great result, Glasgow were well up for it and well beaten!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Best performance of the season so far. This was billed as a big grudge match yet Leinster blew Glasgow away up front.

Last week we saw the game plan start to come together, and this week it was developed further. There's a lot of offloading out of contact from forwards and backs. The receivers are running great lines and we're making lots of metres out of contact.

The forwards also seem to have improved their passing skills and now most of the pack seems comfortable as a linking passer. Really helps suck in an extra defender who is anticipating a carry. We're finding unmarked space out wide now.

Of course, we'll face stronger sides in the CC who'll be harder to break down, but things are starting to come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Brilliant performance and a fantastic result to get a BP at Scotstown.

I really do hate Glasgow. They're far more arrogant than their on field performances warrant.

What a sad bunch of losers celebrating a consolation try after being comprehensively beaten on their home ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

No time for the Glasgow crowd. They just give up when their team face difficulty. Great win by Leinster!

Scottish rugby fans in general are awful.

Worst fans in the home nations when it comes to respecting kickers. The Pro14 final in Glasgow a few years ago was shocking. The Murrayfield crowd are disgraceful too.

Worst losers in the world. Usually it's the refs fault.

And terrible winners on the rare occasion that they win. Those fellas shouting and abusing Eddie Jones getting into a taxi was disgraceful.

Their players are also remarkably arrogant when you consider they've won nothing in over 20 years. Whever they get a scalp against us or England it's like they've won the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You’re responding to someone who isn’t exactly known for their objectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Have to say it's kinda funny seeing a Leinster fan criticising another team's fans for giving out about refs after reading the last few pages here.

Difference is had we lost tonight, I wouldn't be blaming the ref. Refs often get influenced by home crowds and make terrible decisions, it happens.

• Advertisement

Set piece aside that was a pretty convincing win. Our defence was really impressive, even when down a man. Some poor officiating but didn’t impact the result. Our own errors at the line out in particular cost us more than any refereeing calls. I really like where we’re going with the game this season. It’s just a shame that this block is over. I feel like we could have used another round or two.

To quote another Munster fan tonight, “you better be beating boooooville”. They are well known for it. There were some terrible calls in today’s game, but Glasgow boo everything. Today they even booed decisions that went their way!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This is just a list of pretty mean-spirited generalisations.

Is it not exhausting to be so negative all the time??

Yeah, my experience of Glasgow fans isn’t great, but with Scottish fans in general I’ve had so many great experiences. The trip to Edinburgh in the 6Ns is fantastic. I need to get back over for it sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Lot of positives in that game. Nowhere near the finished article yet but a lot of really good performances. All 5 backrows were excellent. Sheehan has a good showing even though he made a couple of mistakes. Kelleher is phenomenal both sides of the ball. I don’t think he can be entirely blamed for the lineout malfunctions either. Glasgow competed well and there was at least one where Moloney was taken in the air, which messed up the maul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

With regard to respecting kickers, I think you have to factor in that Irish fans (especially Munster fans) staying quiet is in large part just virtue-signalling - more about making themselves look good than actually respecting the kicker. You only have to look at Dan Parks's winning penalty in 2010 to realise that when the kick really matters the boos and jeers come out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Edinburgh and Rome are both class, but different, away trips.

I’ve been to Edinburgh for club games as well and have always had a very positive experience. With one notable exception that involved a weird (and slightly xenophobic) encounter with an older member of a stag party who was singing the praises of Sale and Steve Diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

There is three decisions which are baffling

1. Penalising Keenan for challenging for the ball in the air and actually winning the ball. The ref even said they were both at the same height off the ground. Whenever a player gets taken out in the air one thing refs generally tend to discuss is whether the tackler was in a realistic position to get the ball and well Keenen was very much in a position to win it. He won the challenge fairly.

2. The Glasgow try which followed. The GW player was on his knees (and probably in front of the ball) when he picked up the ball from the ruck to score.

3. An offside from a Baird knock on. A Leinster player (Molony I think) came from behind Baird (from an onside position) to pick up the ball and he gave a penalty against Leinster.

I think it's absolutely fair to call those out as awful decisions. Refs will always get 50/50 calls wrong depending on your view point. These aren't borderline or 50/50. They are clearcut wrong and at this level are decisions refs have to be getting right all the time. There is no excuses for getting them wrong especially when there is TMO footage on a very big screen available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

There was one which went straight through Bairds (?) hands too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Advertisement

It's actually not virtue signalling it's a sneaky way of trying to put inexperienced away teams out of their comfort zone while pretending to be nice.

A bit like giving a visitor a plate of nice biscuits after commenting on how much weight they have put on recently

I love it.

Leinsters defense was incredible last night. Glasgow were just not gonna score without referee intervention. Running into brick walls over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Good win! Tough physical match. I thought RB went very well. His place kicking is great. I was worried with AB and Lowe on the wings, but Glasgow rarely troubled them. Our defensive line was really good. Lots of up quick tackling and disruption, forcing Glasgow backwards and side to side. Glasgow have really lost a lot of ability these last few years. Even when in a purple patch we were able to stymie them easily.

We should have DK back for the next round of matches. ROL should also be back, so I think we'll see some rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

That Pro14 final in Parkhead is still the worst display of vile from rugby 'fans' I have ever experienced. Awful stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's a shame the league season is now taking a break for the Test fixtures. Last weekends game against the Scarlets Nd yesterdays game have pointed towards Leinsters players finally bedding into the new attacking system. A few more league fixtures would have bedded them in. They'll be a bit rusty when they return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

There is a case for an "A" inter pro competition held during the November window..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That's ... not actually the worst idea in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Or are lads going back to play AIL? Im sure some of the younger players like Jack Dunne can..but Imagine Devon Toner turning up to play for landsdowne.

Not sure if Alaalatoa is contracted to any club.

Didn't contapomi or someone similar end up lining out with carlow after a late registration or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

leinster are playing 1 A game during the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Advertisement