Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sheepysheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    We didn't go full strength against ulster

I don't know where this notion has emerged that Leinster didn't go full strength emerged from.

This is the match day 23 from the 2020 final. Doesn't look like a second/third string to me.

Jordan Larmour
    Hugo Keenan
    Garry Ringrose (c)
    Robbie Hensha
    James Lowe
    Ross Byrne
    Jamison Gibson-Park
    Jack Conan
    Josh van der Flier
    Caelan Doris
    James Ryan
    Devin Toner
    Andrew Porter
    Rónan Kelleher
    Cian Healy
    Substitutions:
    James Tracy
    Ed Byrne
    Michael Bent
    Scott Fardy
    Will Connors
    Luke McGrath
    Jonathan Sexton
    Rory O'Loughlin

Leinster went full bore against Munster in Thomand Park a while back to secure 4 points to secure a final spot.

They'll go all out next week too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,659 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I don't know where this notion has emerged that Leinster didn't go full strength emerged from.

This is the match day 23 from the 2020 final. Doesn't look like a second/third string to me.

Jordan Larmour
    Hugo Keenan
    Garry Ringrose (c)
    Robbie Hensha
    James Lowe
    Ross Byrne
    Jamison Gibson-Park
    Jack Conan
    Josh van der Flier
    Caelan Doris
    James Ryan
    Devin Toner
    Andrew Porter
    Rónan Kelleher
    Cian Healy
    Substitutions:
    James Tracy
    Ed Byrne
    Michael Bent
    Scott Fardy
    Will Connors
    Luke McGrath
    Jonathan Sexton
    Rory O'Loughlin

Leinster went full bore against Munster in Thomand Park a while back to secure 4 points to secure a final spot.

They'll go all out next week too.

leinster rested sexton and luke mcgrath for the ulster game

• Administrators Posts: 53,863 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ultimately it won't be up to Leinster who is made available from Ireland camp. Front liners will be rested, end of. I didn't consider Lowe previously and I reckon we will see him involved. But even still it will be a very severely depleted Leinster side. In all reality we will be missing:

Healy, Furlong, Abdaladze, Ryan, Leavy, Doris, Deegan, Sexton, Henshaw, Ringrose, Frawley, Keenan, A Byrne and Kelleher

We could also be without some or all of

Porter, Bent, Murphy, Penny, VDF, JGP and McGrath

That doesn't include a bunch of other injuries to guys not in the running for the game. I'm not exactly confident of 4 in a row.

I think Leinster will surprise people and play a few internationals next week. They don't need a first choice team to beat Toulon and they surely aren't going to send a glorified A team to face a desperate Munster side.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    I think Leinster will surprise people and play a few internationals next week. They don't need a first choice team to beat Toulon and they surely aren't going to send a glorified A team to face a desperate Munster side.

Any selection for next week won't come at the expense of the lineup against Toulon. The same goes for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Anyone getting a little nervous now of the potential of the Stander effect to have a similar impact on Munster next week as it did today to Ireland?

He's such a likeable bloke I'm not sure I would be completely devastated if we lost to Munster. There. I said it. Sorry.

Will be interesting to see the teams that they put out. Will Beirne be available to them? How many of our international players will be available to us?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,659 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Anyone getting a little nervous now of the potential of the Stander effect to have a similar impact on Munster next week as it did today to Ireland?

He's such a likeable bloke I'm not sure I would be completely devastated if we lost to Munster. There. I said it. Sorry.

Will be interesting to see the teams that they put out. Will Beirne be available to them? How many of our international players will be available to us?

I fully expect munster to beat us to be honest..... Unless we get free calls with our test players, which I don't expect we will get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

The choice will be given to the provinces I would expect they can have the player for 1 game.

Leinster I expect will mix & match. Munster I expect will go full team to win silverware. Stander has won nothing at Munster so I expect him and other to play and "throw" the European game. Toulouse are a force and the odds of Munster beating them are lower, especially with a empty Thomond.

I could be wrong of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I'd imagine our team will be something like this

Peter Dooley
    Sean Cronin
    Michael Bent
    Devin Toner
    Ryan Baird
    Josh Murphy
    Scott Penny
    Rhys Ruddock
    Luke McGrath
    Ross Byrne
    Ciaran Frawley
    Rory O’Loughlin
    James Lowe
    Dave Kearney
    Jordan Larmour

Kelleher
    Byrne
    Porter
    Moloney
    Fardy
    JGP
    Harry B
    Kelleher

Its not a bad team to put out, but i'd still fancy Munster with CJ in the 23

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Leinster are seven point favourites. Backing Munster is free money at those odds with the likely XVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster are seven point favourites. Backing Munster is free money at those odds with the likely XVs.

How much free money are you going to take :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

A lot of people on here seem very certain internationals won't be involved. You don't get the same impression on other forums. I wouldn't be surprised if the IRFU say internationals who featured heavily can play in one game out of the league final and the H Cup last 16 tie, although I could see dropped players (Lowe) and retiring players (Stander) being exempted from any restrictions on their playing time.

Maybe old stagers like Sexton and Healy need extra recovery time post-6N, but I'd be inclined to go fuller strength v Munster and gamble a bit v Toulon. I don't think they're as strong as Munster, plus a few injured players like JOB might be available for the game that's further away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

A lot of people on here seem very certain internationals won't be involved. You don't get the same impression on other forums. I wouldn't be surprised if the IRFU say internationals who featured heavily can play in one game out of the league final and the H Cup last 16 tie, although I could see dropped players (Lowe) and retiring players (Stander) being exempted from any restrictions on their playing time.

Maybe old stagers like Sexton and Healy need extra recovery time post-6N, but I'd be inclined to go fuller strength v Munster and gamble a bit v Toulon. I don't think they're as strong as Munster, plus a few injured players like JOB might be available for the game that's further away.

I said weeks ago the players are actually down 2 games as the last 2 rounds of Europe got cancelled. The reason I say Leinster will swap is you have a lot of players who will end up playing 4 huge games back to back if they play these games. I just don't see leinster doing that. Even if the IRFU don't make them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Fully expect Leinster to win even if down a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Any selection for next week won't come at the expense of the lineup against Toulon. The same goes for Munster.

Personally I'd rank a final above a last 16 European game if I was making a team selection. Especially if I was in charge of Munster and hadn't won a trophy in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Head Coach Leo Cullen has issued a squad injury update ahead of Saturday’s Guinness PRO14 Final against Munster (RDS Arena, KO 5pm).

There was positive news on Luke McGrath who has passed the Graduated Return to Play Protocols and is due to train this week.

Seán Cronin came through the game against Ospreys with no issues after his return from a back injury.

Vakh Abdaladze will also look to increase his involvement in team training this week as he continues to recover from a back injury.

Garry Ringrose, James Ryan, Will Connors and Rowan Osborne will all be unavailable this week.

Ringrose picked up an ankle injury while away with Ireland and will be unavailable for a number of weeks.

Connors suffered a knee injury while training with Ireland and will be unavailable for up to eight weeks.

Ryan is continuing to follow the Graduated Return to Play Protocols and will be unavailable for selection.

Osborne picked up a fracture to his hand and will undergo surgery this week.

No new injury update – Unavailable for selection:

Cian Kelleher (hamstring), Jimmy O’Brien (hamstring), Tommy O’Brien (ankle), Adam Byrne (quad), Caelan Doris (concussion), Dan Leavy (knee), Conor O’Brien (knee) and Max Deegan (knee).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Promising that Frawley, Penny, Fardy are absent from that update.

Need those lads

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Getting Luke back will be a big boost too.

Interesting that there's no mention of any of the other internationals (aside from the ones that are injured). I'll gladly eat humble pie if it's a case that everyone's made available for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Whatever about Leinster, Munster resting players in the final in order to prioritise the European QF would be insanity. They haven't won a trophy in a decade and this is a great opportunity to break that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

AdamD wrote: »
    Whatever about Leinster, Munster resting players in the final in order to prioritise the European QF would be insanity. They haven't won a trophy in a decade and this is a great opportunity to break that.

It's not Munster's decision to make.

It's not Munster's decision to make.

Of all the places to start making excuses, the Leinster thread is hardly one of them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ringrose out for a while! Not good news. He was probably carrying an injury for a little while. He didn't look right last time out.
    I would be careful with Ryan too. A couple of concussions in quick succession is not good.
    It will be a strange selection this weekend. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Based on that, I imagine we’ll see for Munster.

15. Larmour
    14. D. Kearney
    13. ROL
    12. Frawley
    11. Lowe
    10. R. Byrne
    09. McGrath
    8. Conan
    7. VDF
    6. Ruddock
    5. Fardy
    4. Baird
    3. Porter
    2. Cronin
    1. Dooley

Sheehan, Byrne? , Bent, Toner, Penny, JGP, H. Byrne, Max Reilly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would have more than a suspicion that, if we have guys like ROL, Frawley and RB on the pitch with JGP on the bench, we're going to go with a 6/2 split.

That's going to allow us maximise our advantage rather than include someone like MOR in the 23 jersey when there's a solid chance he won't even come on unless there's more than one injury or the game is already over as a contest.

I can see a couple of relatively unexpected inclusions in the 23 such as Furlong. The guy has 260 minutes of rugby in the last 12 months; he's only hitting full match fitness.

Munster have a great opportunity here to topple Leinster but I think the best approach for Leinster would be to turn the screw where Munster are exposed i.e. depth up front.

I'd go with a pack of Byrne, Kelleher, Porter, Fardy, Baird, Ruddock, VDF and Conan with Tracey, Dooley, Furlong, Toner, Murphy and Penny to come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Buer wrote: »
    I would have more than a suspicion that, if we have guys like ROL, Frawley and RB on the pitch with JGP on the bench, we're going to go with a 6/2 split up front.

That's going to allow us maximise our advantage rather than include someone like MOR in the 23 jersey when there's a solid chance he won't even come on unless there's more than one injury or the game is already over as a contest.

I can see a couple of relatively unexpected inclusions in the 23 such as Furlong. The guy has 260 minutes of rugby in the last 12 months; he's only hitting full match fitness.

Munster have a great opportunity here to topple Leinster but I think the best approach for Leinster would be to turn the screw where Munster are exposed i.e. depth up front.

I'd go with a pack of Byrne, Kelleher, Porter, Fardy, Baird, Ruddock, VDF and Conan with Tracey, Dooley, Furlong, Toner, Murphy and Penny to come on.

I'd hate to see Penny benched if he's 100% fit. He's been a standout for us in the league while the others were away with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd hate to see Penny benched if he's 100% fit. He's been a standout for us in the league while the others were away with Ireland.

The flipside to that is he's probably clocked up a lot of intense rugby since back from injury.

I can see him benching this week, starting against Toulon possibly.

Indeed but this is a final and they'll go as strong as they can (allowing for the following week). If they believe that means starting Penny, they will. VDF has had relatively little rugby in recent times and was removed after 64 minutes on Saturday. He's got plenty of rugby in his legs still.

If they're both available, I can see VDF playing 50-55 minutes and Penny coming on to bring his dynamism and carrying against the Munster pack then.

Penny looked fairly banged up last weekend also. It's not test rugby but he has started 5 weekends on the trot and there's a solid argument for VDF actually being the fresher of the two at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd prefer to see Molony instead of Toner. He's been excellent this year.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I'd prefer to see Molony instead of Toner. He's been excellent this year.

He has been but in an arm wrestle against Munster and trying to maximise our advantage, I can see a good case for Toner still. If we do go for a 6/2 split and look to win through the forwards, it would be very hard for Munster to deal with 5 fresh forwards going to line outs and mauls with Toner's frame leading the way. It's the sort of thing that breaks the spirit of the opposition.

Molony offers more around the field these days but Toner has a place tactically for Leinster. I'd be more inclined to involve Molony the following week. I'd have little desire to play a tight five based game against a pack containing two locks and a prop from the French 23 plus Etzebeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Here's a mental theory.

Hopefully we see Kelleher back and Cronin or Tracy come into play also as all are fit and reliable.

Could we see Dan Sheehan legitimately cover the 20/23 jersey as an option if we were going 6-2 split (which I think we have to)

We've seen people do much worse jobs that he did when he came on in the back row at the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭eire4

Promising that Frawley, Penny, Fardy are absent from that update.

Need those lads

Especially with Ringrose and Ryan out injured.

Advertisement