Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

wonder what?

His talent is undoubted, but he hasn't played much rugby this season and he is a young inexperienced 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I disagree. His potential is undoubted. His talent is undemonstrated as yet. I don't believe he can't do it, but it should be noted that he hasn't done it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

His undoubted talent has been demonstrated throughout his career to date, translating that talent to consistent performance at the highest level is another thing. But he has the talent to be Leinster's 1st choice 10 post Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We were very excited when Byrne broke through in the 2019-20 season. IIRC he started when we put 50 points on Ulster in the RDS and he looked majestic, he had a number of very good displays around that period.

Since then, Covid and injury have prevented him getting any sort of run of games.

He's definitely unproven but there is a reasonable basis for hoping he can become international quality.

That's potential. Doing a majestic performance one night against ulster 2 years ago is a lovely sign of his potential ability to do it consistently. But doing it consistently is something thst he's never done yet. Surely realising the potential is the important thing. Talking about him as if he's already done the Job is really not sensible at this stage.

I look forward to HB getting a run of games and hopefully fulfilling the potential he has shown. Until then it's theoretical and it isn't helpful to pretend he's a top player. He hasnt demonstrated he's anything of the sort yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Andrew Forde really does make phenomenal videos.

It's said a lot but really does ring true in that video.... you just don't see athletes like him every day

Yes, that's why my post says "he's definitely unproven". The other post you quoted says "translating that talent to consistent performance at the highest level is another thing".

I don't know who you're arguing with here. You're saying things like

it isn't helpful to pretend he's a top player.

when absolutely no-one is doing that.

He is by some distance the best prospect (and most proven) out-half under the age of 25 that we have, but that reflects the dearth of other options we have. Byrne is still a million miles away from being proven as good enough for either Leinster or Ireland.

That's probably true. You haven't said he's performing as a top player.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Pwrhaps the best prospect, but I'd argue Ben Healy has been more proven - he's played more games and done it more than Byrne has to date. Yes, Byrne has had injuries and he's still got the most potential, but to say he's the most proven?

• Advertisement

I don't think Healy has played more games than Byrne?? Certainly not as many starts.

While the initial shiny-new-thing excitement about H Byrne has definitely worn off (for me at least), I've never seen much in Healy to be excited about tbh. There seems to be a significant body Munster fans that think he'll be overtaken by Crowley soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I really hope for the sake of the international side that H.B. and Healy are the real deal. I have seen H.B. in a few games over the last while and have still to see what the hype is about. Others have seen enough to get excited about his prospects. However the history of 'New Messiahs' is littered with ...not exactly failures....but unfulfilled expectations. There seems to have been a mad load placed on Harry's shoulders this past few months. Perhaps that has affected his performance. Some guys thrive on it while others just get a bit overwhelmed. I think selecting him for the Irish team was a mistake. He had done nothing recently to deserve it over others and he played poorly. This might have had a hangover into his game against Ulster. He has a few really obvious gifts on the rugby field. I really hope he gets it together but there is no rush.

On a related note, I suspect that, for all his gifts, Lowry at Ulster will not be a successful 10. He doesn't seem to really make anything tick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Wrong thread but Has lowry played any 7's? He doesn't seem to pass the ball enough for a 10 of his stature.. seems to run a lot and might be more suited to 15 or the 7's game with more space to attack..

Looking forward to tonight's game. I think h byrne is getting a lot of unnecessary stick.

Hopefully tonight he gets a decent injury free run at 70/ 80 minutes. Anything else is a bonus.

The chap has only played a handful of minutes since last March I think and in that time he has been deemed good eonough to be retained in 2 irish camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I agree with HB being in this last Ireland squad. He didn't play much and had little form. I don't believe he deserved the call up!

He needed a run of appearances and he looked like he was rusty. Will he be the man to unseat Sexton? Someone will and it could be Healy or HB. I hope they both kick on and start making inroads.

A big opportunity for Harry today!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

I think it was a 100% right decision to bring H Byrne into the squad, it shows the management have one eye on the future. In every squad going forward we should have the best young prospect included in that squad at 10. Whoever that may be.

Carty etc should be fighting for the 1/2nd spot and not the 3rd spot in the squad which in reality if no injuries will see very little time during a campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MrTea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Is this the first time henshaw has played against connacht?

VDF's development into a bruising ball carrier is a sight to behold.

Ringrose has started brilliantly in defence. Cut down two or three Connacht attacks already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Luke McGrath making too many mistakes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Straight off feet sealing off by the Connacht second row. Complete joke

Big problems for Leinster in front. They've been losing the collisions across two matches now. And when they get the ball in dangerous areas they don't have the accuracy to convert pressure to points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great finish by Hansen but Lamour massively guilty of ball watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Leinster have never won when Chris Busby has reffed. That scrum penalty in Connachts 22 was a baffling decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

And if it wasnt a try it could well have been a penalty try.

Larmour is lucky Hansen landed the way he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Was a Connacht lad hit to the face off the ball earlier with no review?

Luke McGrath needs subbing off. Don't think I've ever seen him play as poorly as over the past two matches. His passing from the base has been atrocious. Also his passing just in normal phase play. He's not passing to anyone. Keeps hitting the space between the receivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Looked like a Connacht try...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Luke either passes at Toner head height or along the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Advertisement