Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Wasn't there talk of a TH coming from NZ presumably to replace Bent?

The Prop linked doesn't even play TH. But no indication that's happening.

Vakh is due back soon and Clarkson/McGrath will be relied upon if Bent does indeed leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nothing came of us looking for a foreign TH then no?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think we're the only province to not announce any provincial level contracts yet. Probably waiting to just do everything in one go but still a bit strange.

I think we're the only province to not announce any provincial level contracts yet. Probably waiting to just do everything in one go but still a bit strange.

nothing new there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

A pity if Bent is retiring. I'd hope he had another year in him. He's been the ultimate squad member for Leinster. One of our best signings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

bayern wrote: »
    The Prop linked doesn't even play TH. But no indication that's happening.

Who was rumoured?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,659 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Who was rumoured?

I think it may have been ofa tu'ungafasi's brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Does Leinster looking for a tighthead suggest that Porter back to looshead is happening next season? It seems strange to look for a NIQ signing in a position where theres already 2 Lions quality players. Seems like Bent is retiring, Porter going back to LH and Clarkson not quite ready to be no.2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

TRC10 wrote: »
    Does Leinster looking for a tighthead suggest that Porter back to looshead is happening next season? It seems strange to look for a NIQ signing in a position where theres already 2 Lions quality players. Seems like Bent is retiring, Porter going back to LH and Clarkson not quite ready to be no.2.

I don't think they'll sign anybody , but Porter isn't moving back to LH.

Any interest in signing a TH would be linked to the fact that Porter/Furlong will only be available for a dozen games a season or so because of International involvement.

With Bent going that only leaves a few quite young (albeit very promising) TH's to play week to week in the league hence the suggestions of going overseas to fill the role left vacant by a departing Bent.

Vakh is 25 now, he doesn't have much rugby under his belt but assuming he returns to full fitness there's a lot rugby in those legs yet.. Clarkson is only 21 and will continue to get better.. Greg McGrath hasn't looked out of place in his limited action either.

Bent was always going to leave eventually and Leinster were going to have to fill that void with IQ'd players, obviously the loss of one of Aungier/Salanoa hasn't been ideal but they'll survive in the pro 16 assuming there isn't an injury crisis at the position.

Speaking of Aungier/Salanoa, I think based on this season that Leinster made a mistake on choosing Salanoa over Aungier, Aungier has impressed in Connacht and looks much better for the move and added game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

bayern wrote: »
    Vakh is 25 now, he doesn't have much rugby under his belt but assuming he returns to full fitness there's a lot rugby in those legs yet.. Clarkson is only 21 and will continue to get better.. Greg McGrath hasn't looked out of place in his limited action either.

Bent was always going to leave eventually and Leinster were going to have to fill that void with IQ'd players, obviously the loss of one of Aungier/Salanoa hasn't been ideal but they'll survive in the pro 16 assuming there isn't an injury crisis at the position.

Speaking of Aungier/Salanoa, I think based on this season that Leinster made a mistake on choosing Salanoa over Aungier, Aungier has impressed in Connacht and looks much better for the move and added game time.

I’d expect aungier to put real pressure on Bealham for the first choice spot at Connacht next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Against Munster I think they should go with:

1. Cian Healy
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Ryan Baird
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Scott Penny/Josh van der Flier
    8. Jack Conan
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. James Lowe
    12. Rory O'Loughlin
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    14. David Kearney
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. Dan Sheehan
    17. Edward Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Rhys Ruddock
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

...then against Toulon something like:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh van der Flier/Scott Penny
    8. Jack Conan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. Jordan Larmour
    12. Rory O'Loughlin
    13. Jimmy O'Brien/Jamie Osborne
    14. David Kearney
    15. Ciarán Frawley

16. James Tracy
    17. Edward Byrne
    18. Michael Bent
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Josh Murphy
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. James Lowe

Maybe James Ryan will be ready, but you wouldn't want to rush him back, obviously.

It's a pity Tommy O'Brien isn't fit for these games.

Richie did your missus run away with a New Zealander or something because you've an awful bone to pick with them lately

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Richie did your missus run away with a New Zealander or something because you've an awful bone to pick with them lately

Scott Fardy took parking spot he was waiting on in Dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,052 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm disappointed for HB and Sheehan. The final against Munster would be an opportunity for these lads. The player welfare protocols must be secondary this week. Some of these returning international players have been in the wars these past couple of weeks and yet,, here they are. I'm concerned that we may pick up more injuries and are unable to go full strenght v Toulon.
    Anyway, I think Lowe should have been right back in. Give him a chance to get his play back up to scratch. Larmour could have benched and DK to the other wing. As it looks its a fairly close to full strenght and I hope they gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,052 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great article on Dev today, the day he (officially) becomes Leinster's most capped player.

'Nobody here expected Devin to go off and be what he has become'
    https://the42.ie/5391278

• Advertisement

Not pretty by any means, but a trophy's a trophy, particularly the season we've had with injuries.

Speaking of which, hopefully Ross only has a niggle or else Harry could be thrown into the deep end against Toulon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bloody delighted. That was an excellent forwards display. Suffocated Munster for most of the game and never game them a sniff of a try.

The only concern is our lack of finishing ability. We left at least 2 trys out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »
    Bloody delighted. That was an excellent forwards display. Suffocated Munster for most of the game and never game them a sniff of a try.

The only concern is our lack of finishing ability. We left at least 2 trys out there today.

I think the issue there was ROL at 13. If Ringrose was available I think at least one of those passes to Larmour goes to hand for a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think the issue there was ROL at 13. If Ringrose was available I think at least one of those passes to Larmour goes to hand for a try.

Yeah, not just Ringrose either. I'd have that midfield combination a fair distance down my own list of preferences to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Bent, Dev and Fardy lifting the trophy is a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭KH25

Absolutely delighted to see Bent lifting the trophy. Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Delighted for the backrow. Some vindication in putting one over on lads that've been consistently given the nod ahead of them.

Delighted for the backrow. Some vindication in putting one over on lads that've been consistently given the nod ahead of them.

Think there is a sum of parts / coaching aspect to this but definitely a few players using the opportunity to prove some points.

Munster were astonishingly callow at times though - they woke up whenever Leinster got into their 22 but otherwise never got into the game. They were very one dimensional in attack, never really threatened us and after 50 minutes we looked to be in cruising mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The Drive for Five starts now.

• Advertisement

Think there is a sum of parts / coaching aspect to this but definitely a few players using the opportunity to prove some points.

Munster were astonishingly callow at times though - they woke up whenever Leinster got into their 22 but otherwise never got into the game. They were very one dimensional in attack, never really threatened us and after 50 minutes we looked to be in cruising mode.

Rhys Ruddock looked like a man who wanted to exorcise a lot of internal demons today. One of his best performances I've seen.

Advertisement