Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Rhys Ruddock looked like a man who wanted to exorcise a lot of internal demons today. One of his best performances I've seen.

He looked noticeably more explosive running with the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

kmart6 wrote: »
    Bent, Dev and Fardy lifting the trophy is a nice touch.

Hopefully not a sign Dev is off too.

Just played 80 minutes in a final. Definitely at least a year in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

V proud of leinster this season.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,659 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

.ak wrote: »
    The Drive for Five starts now.

Gimme de fix for six!!!

Sangre wrote: »
    Hopefully not a sign Dev is off too.

Just played 80 minutes in a final. Definitely at least a year in him.

100%

I definitely think there's another season in him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Does Baird start next week? Thought he made a very positive impact off the bench. Dev and Fardy had big games this evening, but they may not be 100% for next week.

Things become much easier if Ryan is available, but that probably won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ma'a Nonu is still playing, what??

Just checked, he is 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

How good was McGrath? The idea that JGP is at his level, let alone considered better than him by the Irish setup is baffling.

Jesus.

That's a criminal case but for it being in a rugby game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭KH25

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

How good was McGrath? The idea that JGP is at his level, let alone considered better than him by the Irish setup is baffling.

Because the standout weakness in his game is the most important skill for a scrum half.

I don't find it baffling at all that JGP is ahead of him for Ireland, nor that he is also ahead of him sometimes for Leinster.

Great to have McGrath there when Sexton isn't available though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think McGrath is a bit like Ruddock on that a lot of what he brings provincial probably doesn't have the same value at Test level. His leadership and control are huge for Leinster, and we missed that stuff hugely last week. But when you're at Test level a good few offer that. On the flip side, his weaknesses aren't as badly exposed at this level. His passing can still be quite poor at times. A few times today he left his intended targets ribs wide open due to poor passing. Thst would get seriously punished at Test level.

I'm a massive fan and at times do think he could add a lot. His trail running is top class, which could add a different dimension to Irelands attacking game. But he's got to be better at the basics of scrum half play.

Because the things JGP are better at than LMG are more required by Ireland than leinster??

Or maybe because what LMG has to offer is very similar to Murray and Ireland require a different USP..

Or maybe leinster want to play in a different style than Ireland....

Or actually all of those are actually the same.

So, 4 in a row. Not much talk about the fact we've won another trophy. That doesnt reflect well on the league...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

molloyjh wrote: »
    So, 4 in a row. Not much talk about the fact we've won another trophy. That doesnt reflect well on the league...

Honestly I think it’s mainly a symptom of the year we’ve had. It’s hard to feel as involved when you can’t attend at all. Games have all felt quite flat without support and with cancellations and things up in the air it’s not exactly exciting. Fwiw I felt much the same about the dubs winning the AI.

This iteration of the "celtic league" is dead.... Fortunately...

Only 3 non Irish winners in the last 10 years...

6 of which have been leinster....

Its been a breeding ground for future test players only..

Nothing more

I thought Porter and Kelleher were superb today. They edged it in the scrum and were far better than their counterparts in the loose. They're still infants when it comes to being front rows too. Looking forward to seeing how they develop going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

4 in a row or 6 in a row against our main rivals. Which says more about the league. Let’s hope the Saffers make it more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The league is shíte, but I think everyone and their granny is aware of it.

To be honest, this season I'm more proud of the way the younger lads and the squad players have stepped up when we needed them due to injuries etc.

Bring on the saffers, the more competition the merrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Interesting views on JGP versus LMcG. McGrath threw a few poor passes today and he can be slow at times, but I have seen JGP do the same. I totally take the point of him not being an excellent passer, but Murray isn't exactly.lighning either. And I dont think bringing JGP into a game changes things up a lot.

I'd take Luke above him in any game. I wouldn't think that JGP is any better than OK at anything, at this level or test level. Luke reminds me a little of Reddan, he could be slow and threw the odd bad pass, but when he played at his best Leinster hummed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

The league is shíte, but I think everyone and their granny is aware of it.

To be honest, this season I'm more proud of the way the younger lads and the squad players have stepped up when we needed them due to injuries etc.

Bring on the saffers, the more competition the merrier.

I hope there are no comments of frustration from people in few years of none of the Irish teams are picking up silverware on a regular basis

So, 4 in a row. Not much talk about the fact we've won another trophy. That doesn't reflect well on the league...

I'm glad we won and played well doing so, but I honestly wouldn't have been hugely upset had we not, provided we put in a good performance and Munster really shone.

Pro14 is starting to feel more like the AIL. Definitely needs existing teams to improve or new teams to be brought in. It's been a completely unique year so staying open minded and reasonable about things, but this dominance of a small number of teams and in particular Leinster is becoming a problem.

I'm glad we won and played well doing so, but I honestly wouldn't have been hugely upset had we not, provided we put in a good performance and Munster really shone.

Pro14 is starting to feel more like the AIL. Definitely needs existing teams to improve or new teams to be brought in. It's been a completely unique year so staying open minded and reasonable about things, but this dominance of a small number of teams and in particular Leinster is becoming a problem.

Agreed. I wasn't that bothered by the game today. My wife was nervous but I wasn't. If we didn't win, so what? We'd won 3 in a row and have beaten Munster more often than not over the last few years. The final was dumped into a terrible week that only hurt its relevance even more. I'm obviously happy we won, but almost immediately I was thinking about next week. Maybe I'd have felt differently if we were in the RDS for it. Who knows.

Agreed. I wasn't that bothered by the game today. My wife was nervous but I wasn't. If we didn't win, so what? We'd won 3 in a row and have beaten Munster more often than not over the last few years. The final was dumped into a terrible week that only hurt its relevance even more. I'm obviously happy we won, but almost immediately I was thinking about next week. Maybe I'd have felt differently if we were in the RDS for it. Who knows.

Yeah there are a lot of things going against the league at the moment so I think it's important to reserve judgement, but covid has maybe shown sooner the problems that were ultimately manifesting away in the background.

Anyway - watched back some of the game and can't get over what a revelation Keenan is. Thought the back three were all top notch and showcased their individual strengths.

What do people make of Lowe not coming on? There could be nothing to it but my take is that the coaches are concerned about his confidence in defence and were only going to use him if forced to or if the score margin was wider.

He really does need game time though - he wasn't as bad as made out over the six nations but he still needs to shake off the tournament and get back some of the confidence he has undoubtedly lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Amazed how much stronger and explosive some of the lads were compared to their opponents. Kelleher was great, explosive and athletic whereas Scannell, looked slow and lethargic. Same with VDF! Completely outplayed POM. Night and day the difference. I also think that RB was very good, mixed up the play well and was excellent of the tee.
    Munster for me, are summarized by having possession on the Leinster 10 meter line and Murray box kicks? WTF.
    VanGrann is stealing a living, he should be on the next bus out of Limerick.
    Anyway, I look forward to Toulon, for me this is the trophy Leinster need. They were dismal v Sarries and a win next week will set up a cracker v Exeter, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Richie did your missus run away with a New Zealander or something because you've an awful bone to pick with them lately

I don't understand what you mean. I suggested Lowe and Gibson-Park start one and bench for one across the Munster and Toulon games, and I had Bent benching for one of them.

If anything that trio will feature less than that over the two games. Lowe and JGP were benching rather than starting against Munster. Leinster seem to favour McGrath over JGP, so it wouldn't really be a surprise if the latter didn't start either game. And as solid as Bent has been, realistically he's only going to feature if Furlong or Porter need their gametime managed.

• Advertisement

Yeah there are a lot of things going against the league at the moment so I think it's important to reserve judgement, but covid has maybe shown sooner the problems that were ultimately manifesting away in the background.

Anyway - watched back some of the game and can't get over what a revelation Keenan is. Thought the back three were all top notch and showcased their individual strengths.

What do people make of Lowe not coming on? There could be nothing to it but my take is that the coaches are concerned about his confidence in defence and were only going to use him if forced to or if the score margin was wider.

He really does need game time though - he wasn't as bad as made out over the six nations but he still needs to shake off the tournament and get back some of the confidence he has undoubtedly lost.

With Henshaw tiring and Sexton already off I figured it was just concern over using Lowe and then having nobody left if someone pulled up. He came on for a few mins though didn't he?

Advertisement