Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

And what does 20 have to do with it really?

Because having 9 appearances before turning 20, would suggest Leinster aren't "holding him back"

He made his debut at 19 before he'd played 20s and he was literally due to start away to Montpellier in the Heineken Cup.

You have to remember that there are no games during international windows now. So fewer opportunities for the likes of Osborne and Deegan to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The way the league is scheduled now, I believe Leinster will lose a few players. The squad will probably smaller. Those who could move/released would be Dooley, Toner, Murphy, ROL,COB and Cronin possibly retiring. Dooley is wasting away at the moment, he should look elsewhere imo. Toner just isn't good anymore. ROL has Osborne coming up alongside him and COB is just injured too often. Josh Murphy, who I like will struggle for minutes when Soroka is promoted and with Doris available. He'd do well at another province.

Jim Demp saying Leinster buying trophies is absurd. Munster spend money and have nothing to show. Snyman, DDA,Saili, Taute to name a few recent imports. Let's not mention Kleyn or CJ or Knox. Every side has imports. It's just how the squads function.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tell you what Jim Demp, you stop JP McManus bankrolling glass-jawed Saffers by the boatload and blocking the way for young Irish talent at Munster and we'll engage seriously on a salary cap.

It's about time Munster got out of their own way instead of bleating on about the perceived inequities of life when compared to other Provinces, who have ambitious and considered strategies and the top drawer executive management team to realise them.

He's a Connacht fan.

And a salary cap is a Connacht fan's wet dream because they'll be able to hoover up all the squad players Leinster have to release.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“You have to remember that there are no games during international windows now. So fewer opportunities for the likes of Osborne and Deegan to play.“

Can I ask what kind of league structure you DO want to see, TRC?

Cos last week you were calling the URC a “pisstake league” when Munster fielded a weakened, young team.

(And that’s off the back of previously being completely vociferous that Munster hadn’t backed young players).

This week, you’re using the structure as a reason why Leinster haven’t been able to afford more game time to certain players.

Which it absolutely is. But you didn’t seem as lenient when it came to Munster. And presumably, being consistent, would make the URC even more of a pisstake league?

I’ve said it before, but you can’t have it both ways. There’s just no consistency (or accuracy) in your arguments sometimes.

Given the last few days, I’m not sure how capable you are of seriously engaging on anything tbh.

(And that’s off the back of previously being completely vociferous that Munster hadn’t backed young players).

Yeah because they haven't.

Casey, Ahern and Hodnett were all excellent v Ulster last week. Where are they this week? Oh yeah they're on the bench or dropped altogether.

Barron and Buckley have been Munster's best performing hookers this season. Who's starting in Europe? Oh yeah, Scannell.

Didn't Munster sign two very promising young tightheads a few years ago. Who are Munster's matchday tightheads for Europe? Oh yeah, Archer and John Ryan.

Don't Munster have a very promising young future test lock? Better sign a South African.

That's very different to Osborne and Deegan being behind proven test players like Ringrose, Henshaw, Keenan, Doris and Conan. Not that Deegan and Osborne weren't getting minutes. They were.

Osborne had 9 appearances before his 20th birthday. Somehow I couldn't see that happening at Munster.

• Advertisement

Hardly. Its the same social media profile that comments on rugby matters here, on twitter and on The 42. It's easily recognisable and I'm not doxxing anyone by pointing it out. What I am pointing out is that the poster is a Munster fan, evidently, not a Connacht one.

Im afraid it's no punches landed for you today.

Casey, Ahern and Hodnett were all excellent v Ulster last week. Where are they this week? Oh yeah they're on the bench or dropped altogether.”

But presumably you wouldn’t have even had them starting last week because “pisstake league”?

And if you’re going to criticise them for players on the bench, it’s just silly (and maybe slightly disingenuous) to then say “Deegan has played 6 games” when 5 of them have been off the bench.

With regards the rest of your post, I largely agree with you with regards the front-row. It has been a problem area. But I’m not surprised they’ve gone for experience front-row, away in France, in an important European game. It’s during the URC games I’d like to see more change there.

But presumably you’d be claiming “pisstake league” again if they did that.

And if you’re going to criticise them for players on the bench, it’s just silly (and maybe slightly disingenuous) to then say “Deegan has played 6 games” when 5 of them have been off the bench.

Of course Deegan is going to be on the bench, he's behind Doris and Conan. You know, the MOTM v NZ and player of the Autumn series, and the Lions starting no.8. He was also injured for the entirety of last season.

The issue with Munster is the players on the bench (Barron, Casey, Hodnett) should be starting. Who's starting ahead of Barron? Scannell. Who's starting ahead of Hodnett? O'Donoghue (who isn't even a 7). Not quite the calibre of players keeping Deegan and Osborne out of the Leinster team is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

anyone heard anything about Montpellier, when are they due to fly? full squad available?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

So by that reasoning, maybe it wasn't as much a weakened team last week as you made out. Again, you can't have it both ways. Anyways, gonna leave it there for the sake of the thread.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if this is true, it will be very difficult to see how EPCR can square the circle with Leinster having to forfeit under less significant conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Leinster aren't French/English...also Munster arent a bunch snakes like Montpellier either.

Were they less significant tho? Genuine question, I thought the exact numbers in the Leinster camp on given days weren't reported? Just an overall "in excess of 20" over the few days prior to Montpellier was my understanding.

I'd love to see a fully detailed article on what we knew about the Wasps, Leinster and now this game tbh. But then I suppose the EPCR are likely privy to more info than has be released publicly anyways.

• Advertisement

leinster had 1 positive test result 2 days before the game was due to kick off.. the team was selected from all those who had negative results

castres have 6 positive test results 2 days before kick off.. with the team selected from those who have negative results

so yes, i would consider the castres situation to be more significant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Hazy in my memory, but I also thought Leinster had a consistent number of new positives spread over a few days. I.e. it was an outbreak that was not ceasing. As opposed to one set of positives...?

And given Leinster not being able to field a team the week after, in hindsight, the Leinster situation very much looked like an active ongoing outbreak.

they did, due to the fact leinster increased the testing regime themselves.

it doesn't discount the fact that 2 days before kick off a team has returned 6 positive test results and there is no commentary about the game being forfeited.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Casey, Ahern and Hodnett were all excellent v Ulster last week. Where are they this week? Oh yeah they're on the bench or dropped altogether.

You can’t in all honestly as a Leinster fan, say that and believe it? When we could have young players tear up trees in the league and get left out the following week for a European game, when we are always going to play our internationals.

Leinster Rugby team v Montpellier (caps in brackets):

15. Hugo Keenan (36)

14. Jordan Larmour (67)

13. Garry Ringrose (92)

12. Ciarán Frawley (42)

11. Jimmy O’Brien (38)

10. Ross Byrne (111)

9. Jamison Gibson-Park (106)

1. Andrew Porter (82)

2. Rónan Kelleher (30)

3. Tadhg Furlong (118)

4. Ross Molony (123)

5. James Ryan (53) CAPTAIN

6. Caelan Doris (45)

7. Josh van der Flier (104)

8. Jack Conan (107)

Replacements:

16. Dan Sheehan (19)

17. Cian Healy (238)

18. Michael Ala’alatoa (7)

19. Rhys Ruddock (196)

20. Max Deegan (71)

21. Luke McGrath (158)

22. Johnny Sexton (176)

23. James Lowe (57)

Referee – Wayne Barnes (RFU)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Is luke mcgrath not playing 9?

Edit.. Sorry no.. leinster twitter updated they had initially named mcgrath at 9 and 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Very unusual to see Jonny in the 23 but not starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

No Baird or Toner in the squad is odd.

• Advertisement

1 positive result? Was it not the case that they had in excess of 20 over the course of the week leading up to it?

Advertisement