Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

How strong is the Toner retirement talk? Obviously it's signalled with he, Bent and Fardy holding up the cup. I'd love to see him stay on another year. He could contribute so much, even if he was playing fewer games.

Given he lifted the trophy it looks like him leaving is signed, sealed and delivered - unless it was just a memento for a massive achievement on his cap record which is actually a lovely gesture.

In more normal times giving him one more year is a no brainer. In covid times I can see the reluctance given his likely wage.

Would he go elsewhere for a year or 2? Can't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,052 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

How strong is the Toner retirement talk? Obviously it's signalled with he, Bent and Fardy holding up the cup. I'd love to see him stay on another year. He could contribute so much, even if he was playing fewer games.

I think Toner holding the trophy was a nod to his cap record and his special day. He hasn't given any major indication of retiring.

Given he lifted the trophy it looks like him leaving is signed, sealed and delivered - unless it was just a memento for a massive achievement on his cap record which is actually a lovely gesture.

In more normal times giving him one more year is a no brainer. In covid times I can see the reluctance given his likely wage.

Would he go elsewhere for a year or 2? Can't see it

Could easily be the record and he's been talking all season about how good he feels.

Anyone know what his contract situation is? If he is out of contract end of season and hasn't re-signed then that's a bigger indication than the Trophy lifting.

Happy to see him stay on, showed at the weekend there is plenty left in the tank.

Any confirmation on Fardy? Seems to be very settled in Ireland so could see him play another season - looks to have all the ingredients to be a very good coach too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Presumably signing Jenkins is geared towards shifting Beirne to the backrow? Makes some sort of sense if that's the case.

Still a kick in the teeth to Wycherley and Aherne though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Could easily be the record and he's been talking all season about how good he feels.

Anyone know what his contract situation is? If he is out of contract end of season and hasn't re-signed then that's a bigger indication than the Trophy lifting.

Happy to see him stay on, showed at the weekend there is plenty left in the tank.

Any confirmation on Fardy? Seems to be very settled in Ireland so could see him play another season - looks to have all the ingredients to be a very good coach too.

Dev's out of contract the end of the season, but in a few interviews over the past couple weeks he's said his body is feeling well and he has more in him so it doesn't seem like anything's confirmed if an offer was there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Very putrid bang of MoC coming from JVG now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,659 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

seeing as he was only talking last week to Mike McCarty about going on another year or two id be surprised if hes retiring, unless there was absolutely no offer of a contract.

And essentially every Leinster player credited Dev on his cap record so maybe it was that.

Dev said on OTB with Mike that he's in negotiations and feels he can play for 1/2 more years. Which certainly looks the case having played 80 against Munster.

Fardy I can't see getting re-signed. It would be his 4th contract and he'd be 37 next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If Fardy retires then Leinster is 100% Irish Qualified. No project players. No NIQs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

errlloyd wrote: »
    If Fardy retires then Leinster is 100% Irish Qualified. No project players. No NIQs.

Still a couple of boggers knocking about though.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Very putrid bang of MoC coming from JVG now.

I wouldn't say he has been nearly as bad but heading into that territory.

MoC was gone within two years. VanGraan has been around since 2017 and in that time they've had some good results and at times played some nice rugby.

MoC had a harder job all that said. He was taking over a team that had a couple of very good years and was transitioning out a number of club legends. He had some serious injury woes (Darragh Fanning playing in Europe) and no Sexton.

MoC's constant blame spreading, putting out false team sheets and his fall out with the IRFU, along with that absolutely dire performance in the 14-6 home loss to Dragons were some of the more toxic aspects of his tenure, and VanGraan hasn't plumbed those depths.

On the flip side with MoC, one interception off a Madigan pass is knocked on instead and he'd have been around at least another year...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Do they not grow tall lads in Munster anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

I wouldn't say he has been nearly as bad but heading into that territory.

MoC was gone within two years. VanGraan has been around since 2017 and in that time they've had some good results and at times played some nice rugby.

MoC had a harder job all that said. He was taking over a team that had a couple of very good years and was transitioning out a number of club legends. He had some serious injury woes (Darragh Fanning playing in Europe) and no Sexton.

MoC's constant blame spreading, putting out false team sheets and his fall out with the IRFU, along with that absolutely dire performance in the 14-6 home loss to Dragons were some of the more toxic aspects of his tenure, and VanGraan hasn't plumbed those depths.

On the flip side with MoC, one interception off a Madigan pass is knocked on instead and he'd have been around at least another year...!

MOC was a bad coach, mainly because his style of play was terrible, but and its a big but, he won a trophy with Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

sebdavis wrote: »
    MOC was a bad coach, mainly because his style of play was terrible, but and its a big but, he won a trophy with Leinster.

I think it's more Leinster won that trophy in spite of MoC rather then MoC winning the trophy with Leinster.

I think it's more Leinster won that trophy in spite of MoC rather then MoC winning the trophy with Leinster.

It still goes on MOC CV he won a trophy
    Im sure JVG at this stage would take any trophy, no matter what circumstance he won it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

And the players were just as culpable in the sh*t show of the following season. They were absolutely atrocious.

It just wasn't a good fit. It had to come to an end but I don't think MOC was the only culprit.

I think MoC going so quickly in spite of winning a trophy is more a statement than VanGraan staying having not won one.

MoC's career at Leinster tanked very hard in the second half of his second year. Players have to take some responsibility but all aspects of our play had visibly deteriorated and barely making it into Europe was a huge fall off.

When Cullen came on board despite the poor showing in Europe I thought we were vastly more consistent and much more focused / determined. Turning the previous season around to make the final was testament to this.

I think MoC going so quickly in spite of winning a trophy is more a statement than VanGraan staying having not won one.

MoC's career at Leinster tanked very hard in the second half of his second year. Players have to take some responsibility but all aspects of our play had visibly deteriorated and barely making it into Europe was a huge fall off.

When Cullen came on board despite the poor showing in Europe I thought we were vastly more consistent and much more focused / determined. Turning the previous season around to make the final was testament to this.

The fact that Ireland won back to back 6 nations with a large Leinster contingent didn't look tremendous on MOC either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I wonder would Leinster take a punt on Sweetnam after his few months in France with Cian Kelleher rumoured to be heading off. Especially as Adam Byrne seems to be permanently crocked.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Fardy leaving and Toner possibly retiring. Leo should get on the blower to Ahern. Purely for the craic of it.

https://twitter.com/rugby_ie/status/1376538865478070276?s=19

If true bit of an odd signing with Synman, Klyn, Beirne and the young lads already in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I wonder would Leinster take a punt on Sweetnam after his few months in France with Cian Kelleher rumoured to be heading off. Especially as Adam Byrne seems to be permanently crocked.

The answer has been, is and always will be Simon Zebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,221 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Leinster have no need for Darren Sweetnam.

Fardy may go but Toner plans to play another year at least. So apart from Toner, Ryan, Baird and Molony there are three locks in the academy. With the financial constraints I'd definitely look to build from within rather than commit another 2-300k per annum on an overseas player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Unfortunately, posting the question would get you a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

But according to the intro to the 42 Rugby Weekly podcast, Leinster could offer him five million and he still wouldn't sign. Maybe for six though...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sanjuro wrote: »
    But according to the intro to the 42 Rugby Weekly podcast, Leinster could offer him five million and he still wouldn't sign. Maybe for six though...

That's pocket change for Leinster in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Sanjuro wrote: »

I was never sure who that was, I no longer have to die without knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Judging by Leinster's instagram, it looks like Ross Byrne will be available for Friday. So it will be Ross starting and Harry on the bench if Sexton doesn't come through his RTP protocols.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He is off to London Irish

Zebo's an interesting one. Fully fit and committed I'd be delighted to have him at Leinster.

But he hasn't looked either the last good while. I also think his media and social media haranguing of Joe Schmidt over the Summer would rule him out for a lot of coaches. He effectively admitted he was difficult to coach - and in the same breath undermined one of the best coaches in the World at the time.

Effortlessly talented - but hasn't fully lived up to it to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Zebo's an interesting one. Fit and committed I'd be delighted to have him at Leinster.

Regardless of his talent, I would be genuinely sick to see Zebo in blue.

Advertisement