Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

ROL is versatile. He plays wing very well. That may be his saving grace? A lad like C.O.B, who's only played 20 odd times over the last 5 years and is injured frequently, will and should be released.

If Dooley goes to Quins, Byrne probably stays put, as Healy is 34 and may not be retained after next year. Plus, Healy is away on international duty.

I forgot about Hawkshaw! He isn't getting a look in whatsoever. I doubt he's retained. He was highly rated and he is a 10 also? Would he be worth keeping as a back up 10?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm curious if you think Munster 'dumped' Sweetnam, Marshall, Cronin, JJ last season?

I'm sure we agree the financial realities will mean Leinster will have to balance the books and can't hold onto everyone. So which players do you think Leinster should be looking at in that regard?

With regards JOD, I personally think it's fairly clear he's further up the Munster pecking order than the likes of ROL, Adam Byrne and Tracy are for Leinster. (He's regularly captained the team and is in Euro squads. A fairer comparison might be someone like Luke McGrath, and, rightly, nobody is suggesting to get rid of him).

As an aside (and not something worth getting bogged down in) but Beirne has only started 4 games in the back-row for Munster. It remains to be seen what might happen if Snyman was fit, but I don't think we can reasonably say he's be first choice back-row in that context.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They certainly dumped Cronin iirc, was JJ offered a contract?

As I said in the earlier post, there will be a lot of natural wastage this year. Cronin & Toner will be going. COB will almost definitely be gone due to his inability to stay fit. I would imagine Hawkshaw and Turner might go too. Dooley is definitely going. I would be fairly certain Adam Byrne won’t get another contract.

Maybe I’m off with JOD, as I don’t watch Munster as closely as you would. It has always seemed to me that he’s very much in sticking plaster role for Munster. Wherever there is a gap in the backrow. He gets stuck in there.

ROL and Tracy are very much third choice players for Leinster. Especially for Tracy, he’s only one injury away from being in our match day squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Josh Murphy is moving to connacht apparently. 

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That would be a surprise. He gets fairly regular gametime with Leinster in the URC and in Europe. Would be a shame to see him go as he's a good player. Also makes Leinsters second row issues more pronounced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

With Dillane leaving he's probably eying up a first choice spot in the second row, if true. He's a good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

While he has played the last 2 games.

He was only originally named to start one of them and I think he only had one other Match earlier in the season.

He probabaly made the decision a few weeks/months ago when he was getting very little opportunity. Just finished his medicine studies too. Might want to get out of Dublin for a few years..

Excellant squad player covering 4 and 6. Like a Fardy/Jenkins/Bierne/Baird

If true Leinster will miss him and its a great signing for Connacht who have lost Dillane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

If that's the case we're officially pretty thin on second rows next season assuming he, Dunne and Toner are all off as is expected.

Even with Jenkins coming in we'd be looking at Ryan, Baird, Molony and Jenkins as the only senior second rows (except Deeny and/or C Ryan if they're promoted which doesn't look likely)

With injury and international cover it just looks a bit callow unless they're backing McCarthy to have an impact. He is a big unit

I wonder would Leinster be looking to bolster the squad with an IQ player.

Someone like Thornbury would be great although a bit of a sick note.

Mick Kearney seems to be barely used by Ulster and might be use here.

Isnt there a big second row ex Munster playing in France? Not Dave Foley (although maybe worth a punt?)

Having said that not sure these options (except Thornbury) would offer more than Dunne

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Soroka definitely a back rower these days?

• Advertisement

been playing 4 & 6 since his return from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Bit light on second rows so unless Soroka is going to fill lock/blindside and Joe McCarthy gets backed for the second row. Hopefully the latter is at least named on the bench against Cardiff this weekend.

Good opportunity for Josh, he's an aggressive carrier and should do well out west.

Brian Deeny another option as a lock/blindside.

Disappointed if Murphy goes west. A fine player. Connacht will be happy with this

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

The Irish Times article that reported it is no longer up, possibly made a mistake and its a different player heading west?

Post edited by Juventu4 on

Possibly Darren O’Shea you’re thinking of? He had the size but never seemed to impose himself as much as you’d hope.

Don’t want to be harsh on the guy, but if I was a Leinster fan, I’d be fairly disappointed with a signing like that.

Someone posted the article on the Connacht page. It's Murphy. Good move for Connacht, bad for us, imo. We lose a good player that's Irish and bring in a so/so Saffer. Ugh

With this news, I would guess that Soroka will be promoted. I suppose that will soften the blow.

If Charlie Ryan are leaving, I hope Toner is gone too. Perhaps Deeny and McCarthy get promoted.

Connacht are striking gold with Leinster players! Fair play!

“As I said in the earlier post, there will be a lot of natural wastage this year.”

That’s fair enough, I hadn’t realised you’d posted that, and the guys you’ve listed seem exactly in the ‘senior but 3rd-4th choice bracket’ that is likeliest to be impacted, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Darren O'Shea, John Madigan, and Frank Bradshaw-Ryan are all playing in Pro D2.

• Advertisement

2nd row depth chart next season:

• Ross Molony(28)
    • James Ryan(26)
    • Jason Jenkins(26)
    • Ryan Baird(23)
    • Brian Deeny(22)
    • Joe McCarthy(21)
    • Alex Soroka(21)
    • *incoming academy lock*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Haven’t got the hang of replying to multiple posts on this goddamn awful new site. That was in response to one of the other comments that someone else made.

These are the names I've read before alright.

I don't think any would be an upgrade on Dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

What's the story with Will Connors, he's not even mentioned in the injury updates.

The last I can see was a hamstring injury in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

John Madigan is an interesting one. Can't say I remember him particularly well from his time at Munster but I believe that when he departed in 2017 the consensus was he had potential but could not stay fit. Since then he has managed 85 games in France (69 in the second tier and 16 in the third) including two 20+ game seasons, so it seems from the outside at least that his injury issues are largely behind him.

He's a huge man who almost exclusively wears the 5 shirt, entering his prime, who you would imagine is reasonably battle hardened at this point. Of course I'm speculating massively - I don't watch Pro D2. It surprises me that no there's never been any whispers of him coming home, the provinces aren't exactly overflowing with tighthead locks

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭DelMcG

The article is back up on the IT website: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/josh-murphy-set-for-move-west-to-join-connacht-next-season-1.4787391

I don't think this move is much of a surprise really. The back row is already packed, even with lads on international duty, and at best, he's a stop-gap lock, like Kevin McLaughlin used to be. A player who should have a 5 1/2 on his jersey.

Makes sense for him to move on at this point in his career and as has been noted numerous times in the last couple of European weekends, there's a real lack of power in the Connacht pack, so it seems like a good fit for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Debut for Joe McCarthy and a return from injury for Connors. Also interesting that Penny starts at 8 rather than Deegan. It's baseless speculation on my part, but I wonder if we're trying to keep him happy and fend off interest from elsewhere?

I really like the look of that backline too. Pretty clear that we see Osborne as a 13 going forward. Probably the best use of resources considering we have Keenan and an able deputy in JOB.

Maybe I have an overly soft spot for big second rows from the ProD2.

But if you are a big second row and can survive the utter insane attrition of that league I think you can go far.

Leinster could do a lot worse

• Advertisement

I'll be watching McCarthy with interest.

My impression of him in the very limited bits of seen of him is he is absolutely massive given how young he is (120kgs at 22.... allegedly)

Given how we've had to carefully manage the weight of young locks in recent years he could be an exciting prospect

Advertisement