Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

Teferi wrote: »
    Regardless of his talent, I would be genuinely sick to see Zebo in blue.

Any particular reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

He's lazy, hard to coach, not dedicated and I dislike what I see of him every time I come across him on social media/rugby media.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dunno how well Zebo would work in the Leinster locker room to be honest Venjur, he's spent quite some time saying he'd never play for Leinster under any circumstances. In fact been on the record many a time saying he hates Leinster.

Teferi wrote: »
    He's lazy, hard to coach, not dedicated and I dislike what I see of him every time I come across him on social media/rugby media.

Yeah in current form / fitness Leinster would have no interest. But as I said - "if fit and committed..."
    Dunno how well Zebo would work in the Leinster locker room to be honest Venjur, he's spent quite some time saying he'd never play for Leinster under any circumstances. In fact been on the record many a time saying he hates Leinster.

Yeah he's done himself no favours on social media but it wouldn't be the first thing to disqualify him for me.

Given his age however I don't see him suddenly hammering the gym and getting serious. Optically I get the impression he left for France expecting it to be a handier setup but has now played himself out of Racing.

London Irish are mid table so still a solid team, he'd know Jackson and the coaches so wouldn't be surprised if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yeah in current form / fitness Leinster would have no interest. But as I said - "if fit and committed..."

Yeah, I can absolutely see why many people would be excited to see Zebo play for Leinster under the right conditions, but due to the weird parasocial relationship caused by social media I would be sick to see him line out in blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Zebo does go to LI then surely he returns to France or Ireland before retiring. So may not be a long deal. The dream of Zebo playing for Leinster may not yet be dead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Zero doesn't have the mental strength to be with Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The answer has been, is and always will be Simon Zebo.

I’d prefer Hayes to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

stephen_n wrote: »
    I’d prefer Hayes to be honest.

nah, bring back Clint Newland and stick him on the wing instead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

5 Saffer teams in the pro14 next season! Sharks, Lions, Bulls, Stormers and.....Munster.
    Signing another Bok makes it easier to root against them. The province is being run by idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Wonder could Leinster convince Ahern to join them seeing as he will likely be 4th or 5th choice with this new signing. He looks a serious baller and is too good to be sitting on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Juventu4 wrote: »
    Wonder could Leinster convince Ahern to join them seeing as he will likely be 4th or 5th choice with this new signing. He looks a serious baller and is too good to be sitting on the bench.

It would definitely help his career

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Zebo too much of a danny cipriani/joe marler hybrid for me.

As lazy, difficult and drawn to attention as Cipriani. All the talent in the world but used half of it. Was going to say the off field antics of Joe Marler but its probably more the build of Marler. Marler can actually be funny some times. Zebo more akin to James Haskell in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Zebo was never as talented as he was made out to be. He never had the same natural ability to beat a man or score a try from nothing as (for example) Stockdale or Larmour. This 'X-factor' nonsense all stemmed from that flick back in 2012 and he was never really able to back it up.

He had a great nose for the tryline and ultimately, he reached his ceiling when he put his nose to the grindstone, worked hard and did as he was told by the coach - and it made him a damn good player - but a special talent he was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

They tried it with Casey and at least that forced Munster hand into playing him. Worth a try, what contract is he on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Zebo was never as talented as he was made out to be. He never had the same natural ability to beat a man or score a try from nothing as (for example) Stockdale or Larmour. This 'X-factor' nonsense all stemmed from that flick back in 2012 and he was never really able to back it up.

We'll that's just BS revisionism - see 1:50

https://youtu.be/Pjh1XL96ND8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

He'd be mad to make that move even if I think it would be great.

Snyman is around for another year at most. Beirne will be at 6 or with Ireland.

Holland will be gone.

Plenty of game time for him at Munster and he needs time to develop before people are expecting him to first choice in the biggest games.

He's barely 21. Second row is a position that will take time to develop. Baird and Ryan are physical anomalies and had been earmarked as such from a young age.

While I rate Ahern I don't think he's in the same physical conversation as the 2 aforementioned. He should develop, physically fill out his frame and I'm sure he will come good.

But he'd be 3rd/4th choice at both Munster and Leinster next season

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

He had a great nose for the tryline and ultimately, he reached his ceiling when he put his nose to the grindstone, worked hard and did as he was told by the coach - and it made him a damn good player - but a special talent he was not.

Sorry but that's nonsense. Zebo has a ridiculous amount of talent. Off the top of my head I'm thinking his try v Racing Metro, his insane catch in Soldier Field. He never had the feet of Larmour, but he's a far more complete player than Stockdale and Larmour.

I can't stand the guy off the field, and he 100% will never reach his full potential with his lax attitude to training, but he was a special talent. He absolutely made the difference at full-back for Munster. He was a playmaker, great under the high ball, brilliant left boot and clinical finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

DonVito wrote: »
    Sorry but that's nonsense. Zebo has a ridiculous amount of talent. Off the top of my head I'm thinking his try v Racing Metro, his insane catch in Soldier Field. He never had the feet of Larmour, but he's a far more complete player than Stockdale and Larmour.

I can't stand the guy off the field, and he 100% will never reach his full potential with his lax attitude to training, but he was a special talent. He absolutely made the difference at full-back for Munster. He was a playmaker, great under the high ball, brilliant left boot and clinical finisher.

???

You've just agreed with everything I said, except you turned it into an angry response

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

The usual pre game press conference today. Wonder if JvG will give any more details about incomings and goings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think that's all a bit harsh. I agree he wouldn't suit Leinster, but the guy has oodles of talent, he's particularly strong at covering ground, making him a formidable full back. He can gobble up space coming across the park, and does so effortless - you'd imagine you robbed a bit of his father's sprinting genes there!

He's great handling skills, and is extremely effective in contact, he's a big guy and doesn't get phased by contact, and is crucially aware of his support players.

I wouldn't want him at Leinster, doesn't fit, and personally I prefer a hard working player that isn't naturally talented than a player who is talented but doesn't work hard if you get me (ala Russell etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

yerrahbah wrote: »
    The usual pre game press conference today. Wonder if JvG will give any more details about incomings and goings.
    Don’t know if he would have any insights into Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd hazard a guess we'll see this for Toulon:

1. Dooley
    2. Tracy
    3. Furlong
    4. Baird
    5. Maloney
    6. Ruddock
    7. VDF
    8. Conan
    9. JGP
    10. Sexton
    11. Lowe
    12. Frawley
    13. ROL
    14. Larmour
    15. Kearney

Reps:
    Cronin, Byrne, Bent, Toner, Fardy, McGrath, Harry Byrne, Keenan

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

.ak wrote: »

1. Dooley
    2. Tracy
    3. Furlong
    4. Baird
    5. Maloney
    6. Ruddock
    7. VDF
    8. Conan
    9. JGP
    10. Sexton
    11. Lowe
    12. Frawley
    13. ROL
    14. Larmour
    15. Kearney

Reps:

Can't see Dooley getting the starting shirt over Ed Byrne if he's fit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Kearney at FB?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Can't see a team without Henshaw at centre or Keenan at FB.

Both are vital to how we play now.

Are all teams announced at the same time?

Toulon may not bother so we may rotate a good bit with the following weekend in mind.

As disappointed as I was to see Munster roll over, I'd image the final didn't take a huge amount out of the players so will be interesting to see the named squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

.ak wrote: »

1. Dooley
    2. Tracy
    3. Furlong
    4. Baird
    5. Maloney
    6. Ruddock
    7. VDF
    8. Conan
    9. JGP
    10. Sexton
    11. Lowe
    12. Frawley
    13. ROL
    14. Larmour
    15. Kearney

Reps:

No chance we'll go that weak for a H Cup knockout game v Toulon.
    I'd say it'll be more like this.

15-Keenan (or Larmour if they give him a rest)
    14-Kearney
    13-Henshaw
    12-Frawley
    11-Lowe
    10-Sexton
    9-McGrath
    1-Byrne
    2-Kelleher
    3-Furlong
    4-Baird
    5-Toner
    6-Ruddock
    7-VDF
    8-Conan

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

???

You've just agreed with everything I said, except you turned it into an angry response

Not at all. If it read that way that was an error. The jist of your message was the Zebo was a damn good player but was not a special one and didn't have X factor.

Zebo 100% had X factor. He was able to create opportunities out of nothing with his handling, footballing ability and pace. He was and most likely could still be a special talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

DonVito wrote: »
    He absolutely made the difference at full-back for Munster.

What difference? They won nothing with him at fullback.

Advertisement