Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Looks like we need a new attacking coach.

Reports that Contepomi is favourite for the Puma's head coach job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Contepomi? Would they not go for Quesada? He did a brilliant job with the Jaguares.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Just got the mail to say I got tickets for the Connacht match. They're giving us until Friday to pay for them now instead of the original deadline of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Lucky you, was just going to ask had anyone heard anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Won't lie. I'd be heading west anyway and just watching it in O'Connells on Eyre Square, regardless. Deadly spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yet another lottery entered, yet another lottery without a win.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He's been injured and stood down for extended periods since he joined. Only 23 games in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,656 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ticket prices for this Connacht match seems a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Just got my pre sale link and had a look.

Countless tickets for a tenner. Really good seats in blocks 508 etc for 35, halfway line seats near the front of 506 or 505 for 45.

Premium level 75.

I don't really see what's ridiculous about these? Decent tickets between the 10m lines for the Ospreys in the RDS this weekend are 40-60..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Why? Loads of €10 tickets. Lower tier on the halfway line €34.20 each. Doesn’t seem ridiculous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Wonder what the end game is with Leo's one year contracts. Obviously it could just be a personal circumstance thing, but has a feeling of keeping himself available for another opening when it arises. Great to see him extended for another year anyway, hope it's a successful one.

I got two tickets on the upper tiers near the halfway line for €20 total. The ridiculous part was the €4 / 20% fee that Ticketmaster added on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

With the 6 months break clause that appears to be in most irish coaching contracts it probabaly does not matter if he signs for 1 or 3 years.

I could be wrong but did the 2 previous head coaches see out their contracts??

Joe went to Ireland and matt O'connor was gone 2 years into a 3 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Shehal

I wonder with the fact its only until 2023 that maybe he might have a role in the Irish set up post the 2023 RWC?

Looks like there might be a wave of contract announcements today.

Ed Byrne has signed a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Any suggestions on where deegan and leavy are rumoured to be heading

Deegan was rumoured to be on his way to Connacht, I haven't heard any destinations for Leavy. I would still classify rumours of both of these players departing as wild speculation.

I'm not sure many teams would be too keen to take a punt on Leavy with his injury record since the pretty catastrophic knee injury he suffered against Ulster. Of course the same logic can be applied in the reverse — Leinster could let him go for the same reasons, but Leinster will have access to more information than a potential suitor would, and if they think there's a chance he can get back up to the required level, you'd feel they would offer him a deal that he probably would not get elsewhere. If Leinster do let him go, I think that would be a very bad sign for his career prospects.

I think Deegan still features very prominently in Leinster's plans, we'll fight hard to keep him. He has dropped out of the first 15, but he is likely the next man in at both 6 & 8 for Leinster when he's fit. Back-row is so attritional he's guaranteed to get a number of chances. He'll know that if he takes a move elsewhere, it's a step down, and he's young enough that he can still work his way back into both Leinster's and Ireland's plans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“He has dropped out of the first 15, but he is likely the next man in at both 6 & 8 for Leinster when he's fit”

Was Deegan ever in the first 15? And I think Ruddock is ahead of him at 6, and it’d be one of Doris or Conan moving to 8 before Deegan would be considered.

Arguable if he was ever in our best 15 alright, but he did get 13 starts in 19/20 including some European games, so he wasn't far off at the time.

I think Deegan would be ahead of Ruddock if he could stay fit. Conan is already our starting 8, if he gets injured, either Deegan starts there, or Doris moves to 8 and Deegan slots in at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Based on what? Personally, I think Lancaster's coaching has far more influence on Leinster's fortunes; we saw how Leinster got on with just Cullen before Lancaster came on board - finishing bottom of their Euro pool. But even if you do attribute Leinster's performances to Cullen's influence, he hasn't managed to win the European Cup lately with the same players Ireland have, so what evidence is there that he could coach Ireland to success against the likes of France, Wales, England, South Africa and New Zealand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think Deegan and Penny are fighting it out for that number 20 Jersey for Europe currently.

Penny might have a bit more versatility where he covers 7 a bit more than the other available options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

deegan and josh Murphy coming out west would be huge additions to our pack. Any spare props on the go too?

New deal from Frawley. He's a serious player and I'm glad he's staying on.

Not sure about that — I think we tend to put people who can play 6 in the 20 spot, so Deegan is in pole position to hold onto at least 20 for the big games. Looking at players who have benched there this season, it has been largely the bulkier ball carriers:

• Deegan x 6
    • Ruddock x 2
    • Jack Dunne (technically, picked for Montpellier game that was called off)
    • Soroka
    • Leavy
    • Will Connors

Looking back to last season, the jersey was moved around Baird, Fardy and Conan mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Frawley is a good player. Delighted he's being kept on. Leavy will not be the player he was, imo. I can't see him playing for Ireland again. Deegan is getting back to form. Connacht will be delighted to sign him. I hope he stays!

Just as worrying as Leavy is Connors. He's an injury prone lad. His future is concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I can't see Deegan leaving, and I can't see Connacht being able to afford him. He's good enough to command a big salary, we tend to shop in the bargain basement aisle when it comes to Leinster players.

• Advertisement

New contract for VdF. Delighted for him. Been one of our best players for the last few years.

Advertisement