Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bent, Penny and Kearney were named in the Pro 24 team of the season.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1377557163078471682?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1377575719094550530?s=20

Is Dave Kearney benching an April Fools? Crazy decision imo, not often you'd be critical of Cullen/Lancaster but that's just wrong imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is Dave Kearney benching an April Fools? Crazy decision imo, not often you'd be critical of Cullen/Lancaster but that's just wrong imo.

It's harsh but he's also started in every game since the interpro against Munster back in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets)

15. Hugo Keenan (25)
    14. Jordan Larmour (55)
    13. Rory O’Loughlin (80)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (54)
    11. James Lowe (49)
    10. Johnny Sexton (172) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (145)
    1. Cian Healy (227)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (20)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (110)
    4. Devin Toner (262)
    5. Ryan Baird (20)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (186)
    7. Josh van der Flier (92)
    8. Jack Conan (101)

16. James Tracy (125)
    17. Ed Byrne (65)
    18. Andrew Porter (72)
    19. Ross Molony (112)
    20. Scott Fardy (75)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (28)
    22. Ross Byrne (98)
    23. Dave Kearney (165)

No JGP...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭crisco10

In a way, these 2 posts looked at together perfectly sum up the criticism of the standard in pro14.

Clegg wrote: »
    Bent, Penny and Kearney were named in the Pro 24 team of the season.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1377557163078471682?s=09

Was it Hugh O'Sullivan who came on against Ospreys?

I, eh, think we might be looking for an 80 min performance from Luke McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Either JGP is injured or they are resting him and he will start v Exeter next week. McGrath playing 3 games in a row would seem unlikely

I was hoping to see H Byrne on the bench to give him some mins but I suppose rack up the points, then bring Sexton off early

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Toulon are down to a centre playing at 10 with Carbonel, Belleau and Toeava all injured. 37 year old Rudi Wulf starting in the centre after joining as a medical joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

15. Gervais Cordin, 14. Masivesi Dakuwaqa, 13. Rudi Wulf, 12. Julien Heriteau, 11. Gabin Villière, 10. Duncan Paia'aua, 9. Baptiste Serin (c),
    . Jean Baptiste Gros, 2. Christopher Tolofua, 3. Beka Gigashvili, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 5. Romain Taofifenua, 6. Swan Rebbadj, 7. Charles Ollivon, 8. Sergio Parisse

Replacements:
    16. Bastien Soury, 17. Sébastien Taofifenua, 18. Emerick Setiano, 19. Raphael Lakafia, 20. Julien Ory, 21. Frederick du Plessis, 22. Anthony Meric, 23. Simon Moretti,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hopefully JGP is available again next week.

Pretty much full strength. Harsh on Kearney but we’ve 3 internationals in the back 3 and Larmour/Lowe are pretty fresh so not surprising they’re all being used.

Some pack for Toulon even if not what they've been in the past.

I had no idea that Rudi Wulf was still playing. He's 37 years old. Nonu is 38. Strange set up of outside backs at Toulon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

If Dev doesn't want to retire and he's able to play 80 against Munster in a final and pack down against a beefy Toulon pack 6 days later then surely he needs to be kept on.

crisco10 wrote: »
    In a way, these 2 posts looked at together perfectly sum up the criticism of the standard in pro14.

I would expect Kearney v Exeter would be a better choice with Hogg at 15, otherwise they will spend the day hammering Larmour with high balls.

To me that is good squad rotation, DK has been playing lots of rugby while Larmour was sitting on bench for Ireland so playing v Munster & Toulon would be no problem.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,659 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinster by 20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Happy to see Sexton made it back. Disappointed for DK, but it's a good run out for Lowe.

That's a very strong Toulon pack. Two monster locks and a nifty backrow. If we can get parity up front we can probably win this through the strength of our backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Leinster's starting XV all capped Irish internationals

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

lotmc wrote: »
    Leinster's starting XV all capped Irish internationals

21 out of the 23 are capped internationals incl Fardy too, only Molony and Hugh O'Sullivan haven't been capped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

21 out of the 23 are capped internationals incl Fardy too, only Molony and Hugh O'Sullivan haven't been capped.

I know Molony has never been capped but it’s a little surprising he never picked up one in a summer tour or an AI. Good solid performer

salmocab wrote: »
    I know Molony has never been capped but it’s a little surprising he never picked up one in a summer tour or an AI. Good solid performer

He's always been just that though. And there always had been more reliable options ahead of him.

His most recent chance would possibly have been in 2017 when Treadwell got capped.

Probably would have been in the same conversation as Treadwell but they token capped him to lock him to Ireland

• Subscribers Posts: 41,659 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if there are games this summer, hes definitely in the mix for a starting place .. possibly beside Thornbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He's always been just that though. And there always had been more reliable options ahead of him.

His most recent chance would possibly have been in 2017 when Treadwell got capped.

Probably would have been in the same conversation as Treadwell but they token capped him to lock him to Ireland

Ah yeah I’m not arguing for him more thinking out loud (typing on my phone) he’s a good solid performer but well down the pecking order, however he has been around quite a while now and he’s never someone most Leinster supporters would be worried about when he’s on a team sheet.

Ah yeah I’m not arguing for him more thinking out loud (typing on my phone) he’s a good solid performer but well down the pecking order, however he has been around quite a while now and he’s never someone most Leinster supporters would be worried about when he’s on a team sheet.

A few players knocking around like that, I suppose with lads like Baird etc coming up they will probably need the caps during the summer. Maloney is a great servant for Leinster but I don't see him at the moment pushing into Ireland squad, so better to invest those caps into the young lads

Absolutely.

No qualms about seeing him on a teamsheet in Pro14 or Europe.

Especially this season where his carrying and lineout work (which has always been strong) have been so good.

Given the nature of his position, and his lack of athleticism (directly compared to Baird, Ryan and Henderson) it's not uncommon to see people properly come into their peak until their mid 20's. Guys like Dev and Roux.

Molony might well follow that trend.

Personally I don't think we will see him capped internationally. But I also don't think we've seen the best of him yet

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

sydthebeat wrote: »
    if there are games this summer, hes definitely in the mix for a starting place .. possibly beside Thornbury.

Would bring the following ahead of a very solid molony... Thornbury dillane Baird & maybe ahern/Niall Murray/izuwuchu with a look at the future

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

Good strong team. Only changes I would think to make would be Penny on the bench ahead of Fardy or Molony and Frawley in for ROL. Are either of them injured? And Dave Kearney is unlucky to be behind both of the wingers as well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Good strong team. Only changes I would think to make would be Penny on the bench ahead of Fardy or Molony and Frawley in for ROL. Are either of them injured? And Dave Kearney is unlucky to be behind both of the wingers as well.

Penny and Frawley are injured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Penny and Frawley are injured

Real shame Frawley is out. I think he'd 100% be starting at 12, especially after R.O'L didn't have a great game v Munster. And he started away at Montpellier and had a great game that day too.

It would also have been a great chance for him to force his way into the Ireland squad for the summer tests with Henshaw away with the Lions. He might still be in that squad, but European knockout minutes would really stand to him.

Advertisement