Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

At work, so won't see this one. Will be interested in Jenkins, to see how he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

James Lowe is great player but I dislike him intensely lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

11 points from the 3 away interpros is a good haul. Takes a bit of pressure the SA games.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Thought Jack Dunne played well tonight, nothing flashy but gone about his business quite well, shame he's leaving. Bench option for the Euros if Ryan isn't back in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fudged

Jack dunne is certainly a worker. Deserving of a vicious assault a la will smith in the Oscar’s? Certainly not. 

The thug who assaulted Dunne deserves to be rounded up at customs and put behind bars on arrival in any Irish airport. 

I assume every Irishman agrees with me. IMO Stan is an utter hooligan and thug .

Post edited by Fudged on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Why are we signing Jenkins again?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭durthacht

More like anonymous, much like the rest of the Munster tight five.

For all the talk of their half backs, or their big money imports in the backs, their tight five has been their biggest problem for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,145 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

On paper that Munster front 5 should have had the better over ours. Their second rows especially should have been markedly superior. But they never once displayed any sort of physical dominance. If anything, our front 5 looked more athletic. Going to give Jenkins some benefit of the doubt as this is only his third appearance in about a year. Wycherley though is 24, has a ton of Munster caps already, but was an empty jersey last night.

I've been impressed by Ed Byrne recently. Locked out the scrum against Connacht last weekend and carried effectively this weekend. Ala'alatoa, has been a good signing. Has a very high workrate and carries well enough. Doesn't look as comfortable acting as a passing option, when compared to Porter or Furlong. Not something I ever would've thought when comparing an Irish prop to a former Crusaders starter. But that just shows how phenomenal his two teammates really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think really the big difference is the backrow, Leinsters is playing at a level above what most can produce, they keep things ticking along for the whole game.

• Advertisement

I agree with you on the backrow. Doris and VDF are the two best flankers in Ireland and must be in with a shout for best in Europe for their positions. Conan hasn't hit the heights of last season, but is playing pretty well. All three performed well last night.

Yet even they will struggle if their front 5 isn't giving them a good platform to work off. I just wasn't sure that ours would give them that platform as on paper Munsters looked stronger. I'm glad I was wrong and that they played so well.

That was a great result and a fantastic match. I certainly was surprised with the scoreline. I think RB showed up really well. He is such a good defender and doesn't shirk a tackle. Ala'Alatoa was really on too. The quality difference between him and Archer is obvious. He is comfortable with passing and taking good lines, Archer on the other hand is labored and fairly limited around the pitch. In my opinion, this is a key difference between these sides. Leinster can use the forwards to carry and pass and continue phases. With quick ruck ball and JGP delivering at speed Leinster get on the front foot consistently. I can't remember how long it took Munster to get into the 22.

Kudos to the starting front five, great effort by them all. I didn't think they were up for it but, Dev and Dunne were quite good and the front row were so much more mobile than their opponents. JOB is really playing great and fills in everywhere. He's quality and could make the summer tour.

This week in Galway I would go as strong as possible. Sexton will play I think, and the backline will be the same. Larmour may be ready to return? I think the 1st match is the most important.

Any kind of win would be great. Connacht will be game and ready to go. Aki will be back and Thornbury is just returning. I think the match will be a tight one. A win though, will put us in a great position for the return leg.

Kelleher, Porter and Larmour have stepped up their training workload. Sounds like it might be a week too soon for their return, but hopefully they're back for the second leg in Europe.

Not such good news on the second row however. No updates on Baird or Ryan. Molony will definitely start, but it's a toss up over who will be his partner. I don't think Toner has it in him to start a second high level game in the space of a week. Is Joe McCarthy ready for this level of fixture? He's the obvious choice if we have an eye on development for next season. Neither Josh Murphy or Jack Dunne are around next season. Connacht have Gavin Thornbury back. That's a big plus for them. We'll have to match up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'd usually say get McCarthy in but tbh would be inclined to go with Josh Murphy. He's been really solid this season, if it's a decent win could think about McCarthy next week maybe.

I thought Jack Dunne had a really solid game on Saturday evening; rucked well throughout, made a number of big tackles and the scrum was rock solid. I'm puzzled by this decision to let him go, and to effectively replace him with Jenkins, who looked very poor and is NIQ.

I think Dunne will still play a big part in this season's run-in in both competitions if Ryan & Baird are continuing to struggle for fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Dunne is being replaced by McCarthy.

Jenkins is jus a luxury NIQ who was well off the pace at the weekend but has played next to no rugby in a year. Leo has a good track record of getting the most out of a second row. I'm sure he will come good

At the risk of sounding overly dismissive/ "it's only Connacht" I think McCarthy is absolutely more than ready for a game of this type.

The strongest front 5 that Connacht can put out pales in comparison to even Leinster second choice with Bealham v Ala'alatoa being the closest battle.

While Thornbury is a classy operator, he's 20 minutes of rugby in the last year. Murray is still lacking power while he fills out (not dissimilar to Ross Molony a few years ago) Dillane is beyond a shadow of what he was a few years back and looks to have stolen a big pay check in France.

McCarthy and Molony is a strong duo more than capable of putting in a shift. I wouldn't fancy them if we were playing a bigger English or French team or if Connacht still had Quinn Roux.

But they'd thrive behind a strong front row and in front of a backrow that is in unbelievable form

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Conan hasn't hit the heights. So I was surprised Deegan didn't get on the pitch earlier. If he isn't given a chance now, then what are they waiting for? Waiting for Conan to get injured or what?

Does anyone else notice that after a shot at goal, Joey Carbery always picks up the tee and hands it back to the water carrier, while Ross Byrne just jogs away leaving the water carrier to pick up the tee himself.

It seems a bit impolite and bugs me a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Oh, to have the problems Leinster rugby have... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I hear Ross Byrne also doesn't say thank you to the driver when he gets off the bus.

In fairness to Ross. Covid means we have to get out the middle doors now. Bus driver thanks have plummeted 92% since 2020

Ross was very solid this week! He has tried to be more offensive with ball in hand. His tackling is superb.

I think we will see Frawley this week. Henshaw, I think picked up an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It's one of those weird things that I notice as well. And it bugs me when a kicker doesn't pick it up 🤣

Honestly, I was a kicker myself and it's a routine thing. It has nothing to do with manners or not bothering to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Exactly, I'm sure he and the kicking coach have it worked out.

Often, kickers will exaggerate their follow through as part of their technique. And so aren't really in a position to just reach down and pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I get that. I understand that it's all about routine. I just respect the kickers that pick it up a little bit more. It's a weird quirk of mine.

Obviously Ross never had to pick up after himself as he had Harry to do that 😆

• Advertisement

The 2nd row selection is a tough one to call. I think Molony will start, but who partners him? I reckon McCarthy will, but it would not surprise me to see Murphy. I thought he did well last weekend.

Watching Dunne makes me think we could have made a mistake! We've let other locks go and they've flourished in new surroundings. My issue is, we contract Deeny, who spent the year injured and we have no idea how he's going to go. Saturday, Dunne played really well. I hope Deeny sets the league alight, and can force some pressure on the others.

Charle Ryan is another that I'd be reluctant to let walk. He's a big unit with potential. Jenkins arriving probably means curtains for Charlie. He could join Dunne at Exeter or go west to Galway.

Advertisement