Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Horrible but not unexpected news.

Achieved more in one season than most players do in their whole career, and he should be even more proud of the effort he made in coming back to the game at all after that injury.

Munster fan here. David Pocock and Michael Hooper came to mind re Dan Leavy. He could have been in that league but that horrible injury, that I can still recall three years ago, put paid to that. A physical monster and his ability to win turnovers where he had no right to, at alarming regularity by his opponents was something truly to behold. All in Irish rugby and all rugby posters here, regardless of where they are from will in no doubt want to extend their best wishes to Dan and whatever his future will bring him, I'm sure whatever he does post rugby, he will as every bit as successful as he was on the rugby fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DelMcG

I think it's the duty of Irish rugby fans everywhere, regardless of provincial allegiance, to buy several bottles of his whiskey when it launches. Ya know, for toasting purposes, like... 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

He truly was brilliant in that 7 jersey. It's such a shame that his career went the way it did as he was really hitting his peak. Getting back on the rugby pitch after that horrific unfortunate injury was truly astonishing and a credit to his resolve and determination.

It was heart in mouth stuff whenever he went down since his return so hopefully he's walking away from the game in relatively good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sorry to hear that about Leavy. One of my favourite Irish players. Always reminded me of Ardie Savea when he carried the ball with his ability to make ground after contact and just keep fighting through tackles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Awful news. Leavy was monstrous before his injury. What a player. This is part of rugby and it's the ugly part. It's devastating for a lad on top of his game and coming into his prime to have his career shortened.

I agree that he could have been in the same class as Hooper. What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

He'll always have Twickenham '18. He was immense that day on one of the greatest days in Irish rugby history.

Loved how well he linked up's with James Ryan.

Leavy/vdF would have been a great option for Ireland to have.

I'd be fearful about Connors future too. He's only managed to play about 30 times since graduating the academy.

Depth wise it looks like VDF, Connors, Penny with Hernan coming up in the academy. Still some seriously good talent. Martin Maloney could be an option too.

On top of the Leavy news. I feel that James Ryan is in an area with head injuries that are very concerning. I would hope he can continue to play and be the great player he was but, I'm not sure if he'll ever be that player. He may even be forced into retirement.

I don't think that sort of speculation about players potentially having to retire etc is helpful to anyone, and is exactly the sort of talk and uninformed speculation that players have repeatedly asked people not to engage in.

Also, on the day when a guy has to announce his retirement from the game in fairly tragic circumstances, it's a bit much to be listing out the depth chart effectively at his position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭durthacht

It's fair enough to discuss the issues of the day on a discussion board. The matters raised in that post seemed perfectly natural to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

Gutted for Leavy, he was one of my favorite players of that generation. He had it all and was really starting to look like a guy who would walk into any starting 15 in any country, he was that good.

Fascinating too that he got his first 6 nations cap in 2018 due to an injury to VDF.

Wasn't being a dick. Posting a depth chart is not being callous, or at least it Wasn't intended to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onefinemorning

Not a particularly callous comment - just the timing wasn't great.

Also if you are going to post a depth chart for the back row - might be better to attempt to make it more accurate - you left out Soroko and Sean O'Brien from the academy.

Right! I was just listing opensides. I think O'Brien is a 6 as is Soroka.

I was thinking off the top of my head the amount of lads who were forced into early retirement due to injury. It's a fairly significant list.

Rugby is such a physical game with really huge demands on the body. You've got to respect and admire the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Boardmember101

I have 2 spare tickets for Friday night for the Bohermore end. I will let them go for €50. Please DM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Thanks very much for linking the Lancaster interview, Burkie. It's a great listen.

Lancaster is an incredible thorough coach. He watches as many games as he can to add bits that might suit Leinster. And he gave his analysis of how the Leinster players performed at the 6Nations and how they can improve. Also liked the bit about the coaching staff demanding that every player be at least competent with the handling skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Came to share that Lancaster interview as well, highly recommend listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Molony and Murphy in the second row. McGrath starts at scrum half. The rest of the side is what you'd expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

McGrath ahead of Gibson-Park?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Mcgrath has always been the regular first choice starter ahead of Gibson Park at Leinster. I dont think JGP has started a knockout game for Leinster when Mcgrath has been fit.

Id imagine they might Rotate it more this year... if Leinster put up a big score on Connacht in the first leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Even at his peak, Toner was never a great bench option. Would have preferred to see McCarthy there but other than McGrath there are no real surprises in that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Can't understand Joe McCarthy not being in the 23

• Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Toner brought great physicality to game against Munster last weekend. Stats also have him being more impactful than Dunne around the pitch over the 50 minutes both were on. Yes hes in the twilight of his career, but when viewing Connacht as being quite an ill disciplined team who give up loads of penalties (worst in URC), his impact in the lineout for the last 20 mins would be quite valuable to keep the pressure on. Youd hope our backrow, plus Deegan coming on, will give us enough carrying in the tight when Toner is on the field

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

managing his workload, he just turned 21 after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Even only by the numbers it's a very settled 23.

The "least" experienced player is Dan Sheehan winning his 23rd Leinster cap with the next being Keenan winning his 40th cap.

Comforting to see.

Lot's of kicking options with the starting backline and Frawley, Byrne and Park off the bench so Toner might well be there to keep Connacht pinned later on. Murphy can also drop into the backrow and Conan / Doris are interchangeable at 6/8. Don't think McGrath is much of a surprise either, he's the stronger defender in my book and Sexton will be running the backline from 10.

That's a team to go and win the first leg, don't think development is being factored in at all - will likely see plenty of changes for the return fixture if we've kept the score margin favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's cool that Lancaster thinks Jonny is the best player he's ever coached. But he's also only ever coached two teams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That’s not true though. He started coaching the Leeds Academy in 2001, became head coach of the senior team In 2006, he then became Head of Elite Player Development at the RFU in 2008 which also saw him coach the Saxons before he became Englands head coach. He has basically been coaching for 20 years right up to the very top level.

Advertisement