Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I feel an unhinged rant about schools from someone is on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The force didn’t come from JGP’s actions though. Thus the accepting the tackle interpretation by the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I could accept the low degree of force argument, because there wasn't much force to it in real time, but JGP did twist and move his shoulder forward into the tackle. That's what makes me uncomfortable with it not being a red.

Anyway, 'tis done now, not much point mulling over it too much.

In fairness is moving your shoulder forward into a tackle not exactly how a tackle is done? If marmion hadn’t been tackled and JGP wasn’t doing that movement then I think it’s likely that it would have been a worse offence. I only saw it at the time and the replays at the time but my take at the time was it was the actual tackle that caused The incident to happen as it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fudged

He’s a smart arse from day one parading as someone he is not. It is a misrepresentation about who he really is and also about the person he is claiming to be.

Queue denial and ridicule. It’s water off a ducks back for me.

I spoke to a certain Rooney who I presume he is representing himself to be at the lift of lockdown and there was none of this sly mockery or underhanded superiority.

mod: banned.

Post edited by awec on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Yay!! I haven't read crazy stuff in a while. Welcome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yikes!

It’s great stuff altogether. It has everything, mystery, subterfuge, insanity. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

I bet you aren't even a salmon- another imposter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

What champions cup knockout game has JGP started ahead of mcgrath when both were available for selection before this weekend?

I dont believe Leinster ever cooled on mcgrath.

He is obviously not without his faults but he still thas aspects of his game that are far superior than JGP That make him an all round better player. Game management, leadership, defense, tackling, kicking and fielding.

There is more to being a scum half than a fast pass. Otherwise stringer could still be playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There is more to being a scum half than a fast pass

Hey, he was cleared by the citing committee, that sort of name calling is not on.

JGP and McGrath have each started two European games this season. We'll find out in the next couple of months who the true first choice is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I actually think some of the posters in here are correct in saying McGrath has fairly consistently started ahead of JGP in big games.

JGP has started more internationals for Ireland than Heineken Cup games for Leinster - by a margin.

Got spot.. :)

yeah id imagine they will chop and change them a bit more this year similar to the hookers.

Mcgrath has started the 2 "tougher" away games... to Bath and Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,143 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

JGP clearly went to the right school.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 24,251 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would imagine McGrath is likely to start this one by virtue of the fact that JGP was in limbo up until this last night.

For me, JGP has surpassed McGrath and it's not purely on his pass. His identification of space and speed of thought are well ahead of McGrath now. That plays a huge part in how Leinster (and Ireland) play. We scored multiple tries in the 6N due to JGP's aggressive attacking styl. I do think McGrath brings strengths to the table such as his defensive work and positioning. I believe we're now similar to a Reddan/Boss situation where Reddan started the home games and Boss the away games. But McGrath's pass will always be his achilles heel and has probably stopped him from being a 50 cap international.

JGP's kicking has also improved massively since he first arrived to the point where he's a comfortable kicker at test level. I'd suggest there's little enough difference between the two of them in that regard at this stage despite there being a gulf 3-4 years ago.

On Gibson parks kicking back in March Thornely had a decent interview with an old coach of JGPs when he came out of school...

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/he-s-a-special-kid-slow-burner-jamison-gibson-park-now-at-the-top-of-his-game-1.4824556

"At a young age, he had a big future, but what he couldn’t do, was kick contestable box kicks. And I said to him: ‘Look, if you want to climb as a professional player you’ve got to box kick’.”

“And he goes: ‘Coops, I wasn’t taught to kick. I was just taught to run.’ I could understand why they didn’t want him kicking because he was such an athlete"

He has improved as a kicker but it doesn't seem natural to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Gibson-Park is miles ahead, if you ask me. If there was a Lions tour this year he'd probably be on it, whereas McGrath doesn't make the Ireland panel.

Leinster valued McGrath more up until recently; they probably felt his character and leadership were important in the group environment. But JGP has taken his game to a new level over the last year with the exposure to Test rugby he's got. Essentially, Ireland have handed Leinster a very high level player. They'd be mad not to use him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Lukes successful passing stats will seriously decrease once Dev has finished up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

One Swallow doesn't make a poster........🐦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I'd agree but I think Luke can rise to any occasion. The worry would be he gets injured in the first 5 minutes and then we are goosed.

It will be interesting to see what kind of squad heads to South Africa. Must say I'm very much looking forward to those matches, great to see how tough the SA teams are at home and the table is getting a lot more interesting and Stormers / Sharks could well end up in the top 4.

Luke has his weaknesses and they probably will always be there. But, he's still a very good player.

JGP has kicked on. He's playing great. Murray won't get the 9 shirt back in the national squad, barring injury. We're dependent on JGP for pace and attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

What JGP brings in spades over Luke is something I've been harping on about since before people rated him at test level (hipster alert!)

JGPs nous for dictating the speed and pace of the game is unparalleled by any other 9 in the country except possibly Blade, and to a certain extent Cooney but less so

Most 9s look to slow things down. Which is not a criticism, its a valuable trait and gotten a lot of teams out of sticky situations. But its that role of a safety mat if the 10 needs help - the 9 steps in and brings things back under control.

Luke has always been very good at this.

However JGP brings the opposite, regardless of how the 10 is feeling, JGP has a knack for just accelerating things a few phases when he feels the defence can be stretched or vulnerable. His vision is so clued in that he makes these decisions better more often than not.

Not to mention his triple skip pass to a wing for a finish - how often have we seen that? And how often do other Irish 9s give that pass? I'd say a fraction of him.

Side note - while JGPs pass is very good and improved a lot over the years... his technique is HORRIBLE lol. Passing from left to right he just kind of snatches at it. It obviously works and works well, but if I were coaching a young 9 I would not be using footage of JGP haha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd agree with a lot of that, arsebiscuits. Occasionally, his decision making gets questioned, but he's doing things earlier, quicker and at a faster tempo than the alternatives.

JGPs nous for dictating the speed and pace of the game is unparalleled by any other 9 in the country except possibly Blade, and to a certain extent Cooney but less so

I think Casey deserves a mention here too. You mentioned JGP triple skip passes, Casey has definitely had the odd super pass akin to that too this season.

JGP starting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Kelleher and Porter straight back in. Harsh on Sheehan I think.

Otherwise no great shocks. Gone back to a 5-3 split on the bench.

15. Hugo Keenan (40)

14. Jimmy O’Brien (47)

13. Garry Ringrose (96)

12. Robbie Henshaw (62)

11. James Lowe (61)

10. Johnny Sexton CAPTAIN (179)

9. Jamison Gibson-Park (110)

1. Andrew Porter (84)

2. Rónan Kelleher (32)

3. Tadhg Furlong (121)

4. Ross Molony (133)

5. Josh Murphy (57)

6. Caelan Doris (49)

7. Josh van der Flier (108)

8. Jack Conan (111)

Replacements:

16. Dan Sheehan (23)

17. Ed Byrne (82)

18. Michael Ala’alatoa (18)

19. Devin Toner (278)

20. Rhys Ruddock (203)

21. Luke McGrath (169)

22. Ross Byrne (122)

23. Ciarán Frawley (49)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

No Joe McCarthy. Leinster can be quite slow to promote new players to the first-choice XXIII. They almost need to be capped internationally before Leinster will move them up the pecking order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Unless Healy is injured it’s a bit surprising to see Byrne on the bench ahead of him.

Advertisement