Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It’s one of the areas we’re stacked in tho, similar to back-row. I don’t see him working his way back in this side of the RWC, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Larmour has been unlucky with injury this season. He was in very good form in the lead up to the Six Nations before he picked up the knock that ruled him out if the tournament. He was in a run of 4 trys scored in his last 4 games and 6 trys scored in his 9 appearances this season.

More importantly that that he was contributing all over the pitch with his passing and running skills. He probably wouldn't have made Ireland's starting 15, but he would have been a very good shout for the 23 jersey as he covers multiple positions in the backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Why? when he was fit he was picked. The push to move players from Leinster to every other province is hilarious.

As I said Larmour is one of the most talented rugby players in Ireland, they would be stupid to let him leave.

Plus Ulster have plenty of young players available so why would they not want to promote guys who have come via the academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Lowe, Hansen and Stockdale are all top class left wingers. As Hansen showed he is a lot less effective on the right

Bala is a class winger but he is an out & out winger. He need to improve in terms of getting involved in the play more. He is class and if he works on those I do expect he will be the starting wing for WC

Conway has some great game for Ireland but I wouldn't class him as nailed on starter. Still the starting player at the moment

Earls to be fair has been class for Ireland and showed in the Munster game he still can have an effect on a game but I don't see it moving forward. This 6 nations kind of proved Ireland has moved on.

I think a fully fit Larmour for rest of season and then the tour in NZ will give a better view of what position he is in. Some people seem to have a real gripe with Larmour, not sure why, it seems we prefer to knock the skillful players than try to give them compliments

It was the same with Lowe, he was this, that & the other a few months ago.

JOB is in the chasing pack but like everything if he stays fit he could jump everyone. He is also very similar to Lowe/Hansen in terms of he can play a number of roles and gets involved in the play

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ulster are just as stacked in the back 3 as Leinster are, he'd fare no better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think Larmour could fall further down the pecking order, if anything. Will JOB take his place in the next Ireland squad?

Larmour would be be ahead of Tommy O'Brien for a wing spot with Ireland at the moment, but I'd prefer to see Leinster backing TOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's made of glass. He'd fit right in with the Ulster back three options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Very transparent of them.......🤤 but we can see right through your remark.....😜

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gilroy is like Ulster's 5th, maybe 6th choice on the wing at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,350 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I agree with this assessment as a fair snapshot of the pecking order ahead of Larmour. But he's been out injured. So his stock is low right now. A run of games will change all that. If he shows good form, he can climb the winger depth chart.

Players' form fluctuates and that's fine. Form players should be ahead of Larmour. I dislike the idea that form is anything other than transient (not suggesting you've done that). He's starting from a low base so he has a lot of work to do to prove his form, but he's capable of doing it. We'll just have to see how he responds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Serious recency effect here, Larmour has been having a great season. JOB has taken his chance brilliantly so it's between the two of them when Larmour is back fully firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,350 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

And that's the way it should be. Recent form should be the main factor. It shouldn't be the only factor, but it should be the primary one.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Decent performance all things considered. Strangled the life out of Connacht in that first half. Won all of the major collisions and cut through them in attack. Our first phase attack is the best in Europe. When we get it right every player, back and forward, is an option for a pass that can put the receiver through the defence.

But I still think there are weaknesses in the side which makes me believe that a Champions Cup might be unobtainable this season. The opening 10 minutes was very poor and Connacht really should've scored more points. The same thing happened last week as well when we started so slowly and Connacht scored a try. We can't afford to give Leicester that sort of easy head start at Welford Road.

The BT commentary team seem quite certain that Leinster are favourites for the tournament. But an away game to the current top side in England isn't an easy ask. And we've some fragilities to be exposed.

Decent performance but we really missed McCarthy out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The BT commentary team seem quite certain that Leinster are favourites for the tournament. But an away game to the current top side in England isn't an easy ask. And we've some fragilities to be exposed.

Its far from an easy task, but I'd be surprised if Leinster don't go into that game as favourites.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leicester are flat track bikes. The can devour a team who can't match them up front. Leinster won't be easily bullied by them, though I'd be happy if Ryan and baird are both back fit for choosing. I'd probably go with Ryan and molony myself.

We've more than enough fire power in the backs to seriously trouble them and I'd imagine we'll go onto the game around 7 point favs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hoping the scrum can hold up, and that Porter continues to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It sounds as if Josh Murphy showed up well. It's a pity to be losing him just when he's coming into his own. He can play second row at European Cup level, and he's a very fine blindside - who makes a bigger impact than Ruddock, if you ask me. He'd be a good guy to have around the first XXIII. He could swap with Doris at blindside in horses-for-courses selections. And he'd be a great guy for the bench, because if it's Baird and Deegan benching then that's two players who are more suited to the loose. Murphy would probably have been a better option coming off the bench than Baird against La Rochelle last season. He could fill the bench lock or the bench backrower positions.

Ah well. Not to be...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Has the Leinster squad going to South Africa been announced yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

So if we were to end up playing Ulster in a hypothetical Semi final even with them as higher seeds is it still gonna be in the aviva due to no suitable stadium up North?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

French ref for Tigers game probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

If Toulouse and Leinster win who gets home advantage in the semi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Leinster would get home advantage, Toulouse finished 7th in their group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Tigers will be a tough outing. But, we are experienced and have more pedigree in knock out rugby!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Leinster v Munster semi final in the Aviva would be tasty. Really hoping that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Almost certainly at least one French team in the final again, you'd have to think.

Advertisement