Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Toulon every right to be p*ssed off at that

RTÉ said on news that it’s a front row forward who’s in the 23 who tested positive.
    If that’s true there’s no way the game can go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    RTÉ said on news that it’s a front row forward who’s in the 23 who tested positive.
    If that’s true there’s no way the game can go ahead

Toulon are saying the player in question was isolated on Wednesday. So someone is telling fibs.

EPCR knew about this on Wednesday, I'm sure Leinster would have to have been informed immediately. I can't see why Leinster would want to play them. Even with a clean round of testing yesterday, that doesn't mean a case wouldn't appear next week.

So how is it that Toulon travelled?!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/champions-cup/2020-2021/champions-cup-leinster-toulon-annule-bernard-lemaitre-crie-au-scandale_sto8202524/story.shtml

Oooh, this is going to be interesting.

Toulon saying they had the positive case on Wednesday and the player was isolated. They were still permitted to travel to Dublin. They re-tested yesterday, no positives. Game called off.

The outcome shouldn't have changed - Positive test in the days leading up to a game should mean the game can't go ahead, end of story.

Toulon shouldn't have been allowed to travel on that basis.

The ERC taking 2 days to issue a final ruling is the problem , not the ruling itself.

Toulon certainly would have a case for costs of their travel but nothing else in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/champions-cup/2020-2021/champions-cup-leinster-toulon-annule-bernard-lemaitre-crie-au-scandale_sto8202524/story.shtml

Toulon saying they had the positive case on Wednesday and the player was isolated. They were still permitted to travel to Dublin. They re-tested yesterday, no positives. Game called off.

The game should have been called off then and there surely? A positive case in camp, depending on when they were contagious, may not lead to a positive test elsewhere for a few days. There is no way that Toulon should have been allowed to travel.

• Advertisement

In short.

A front-rower tested positive on Wednesday and was isolated. Information was exchanged with EPCR.

EPCR decided today that all six front rowers in Dublin are potential close contacts. They offered that the game could be played on Sunday if six other front rowers could be played. Toulon said this was an impossible request. The game is off.

This is of course Toulon's side of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That’s really weird

Toulon with an emotionally charged statement. They are raging.

I'd expect EPCR will issue their own, less emotional statement shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In short.

A front-rower tested positive on Wednesday and was isolated. Information was exchanged with EPCR.

EPCR decided today that all six front rowers in Dublin are potential close contacts. They offered that the game could be played on Sunday if six other front rowers could be played. Toulon said this was an impossible request. The game is off.

This is of course Toulon's side of things...

Surely second rows are also close contacts of front rows. There’s something fishy about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Allowing them to travel after a positive test is crazy however from reading the Toulan statement it appears the close contacts were only divulged after arrival in Dublin or am I misinterpreting. If so, the decision to allow them to travel might have been with the thought of parking a couple of players considered close contacts but with front rowers this isnt obviously possible.

Even with that said, a bad decision to allow them to travel at all until the details were ironed out

If I'm in the Dept of Health or FA, I'm demanding an explanation from EPCR here. Allowing a team with potential close contacts to travel to Ireland seems crazy. Forget the rugby.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If I'm in the Dept of Health or FA, I'm demanding an explanation from EPCR here. Allowing a team with potential close contacts to travel to Ireland seems crazy. Forget the rugby.

I'd agree - They shouldn't have travelled end of story.

As I said , Toulon have a case for travel expenses etc. but once they had a positive test among the squad a few days before KO then that's that for the game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If only there was a similar situation involving Toulon earlier this season which we could use as a comparison to see how they'd respond if the shoe was on the other foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Legion2008

Maybe they were hoping Leinster would refuse to play them so they’d get the bye .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Ugh, was really looking forward to this.

If Leinster end up winning the competition, it will feel a little hollow to me.

Leinster played twice to reach this stage of the competition. Some teams only played once, including Toulon and La Rochelle. Would it be a hollow achievement if one of them was to win it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Buer wrote: »
    If only there was a similar situation involving Toulon earlier this season which we could use as a comparison to see how they'd respond if the shoe was on the other foot?

I can see why Toulon are pissed. Earlier in the year when the other team had a case they refused to play and forfeited the game. This time, they had a case and are not allowed play and have forfeited the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I can see why Toulon are pissed. Earlier in the year when the other team had a case they refused to play and forfeited the game. This time, they had a case and are not allowed play and have forfeited the game.
    It's not the same though. Scarlets had a player test positive, sidelined their close contacts, found enough players to replace them and EPCR said the game could go ahead. Toulon left it to the very last minute to say they weren't going to play.

Edit: Also the timeline was longer. The Scarlets player tested positive on the Monday before the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Hippo wrote: »

Leinster played twice to reach this stage of the competition. Some teams only played once, including Toulon and La Rochelle. Would it be a hollow achievement if one of them was to win it?

Think you’re taking me up the wrong way. I think the entire competition has a cloud over it. Nobody’s fault but for me the win would he diluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Yea, the win would definitely be diluted, even more so than Ulster's trophy. Still, a jersey won't refuse an additional star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,052 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yea, the win would definitely be diluted, even more so than Ulster's trophy. Still, a jersey won't refuse an additional star.

An additional star with an asterisks next to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭OldRio

An additional star with an asterisks next to it :D

Exactly, the same as Sarries have. (Well slightly different as Sarries are cheating *****)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster topped their pool the last 4 times of asking. They almost certainly would have topped their pool this season too had Covid not happened. If they had done that then they'd have had a home QF and SF. This season they may have played less games coming into the QF, but they are now away in that QF to last years champions. Surely that's a worse position that they would have been in had Covid not disrupted everything? So if Leinster were to go on and win it would it require an asterisks really if the KO stages were more difficult than they would have been previously?

Yea, definitely, this whole season is fubar, there's no getting around it. We might be playing away to Exeter next week but we have a rest week this week now and they don't. I'd prefer more to be us than them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

At least this time, the French can't claim they may have picked up the virus in Dublin

This really is a pain in the face. What am I going to do with all the beer in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Boynes Karl Martin secured his first professional Academy contract with Montpellier
    Played 3 years of Leinster u18 clubs and Ireland u18s.
    While still u18 and in school was playing u20 club rugby
    https://www.facebook.com/NorthEastLeinsterRugby/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

The Exeter team to play Lyon is very strong and to beat them away will take some doing. People on here speaking about when we win it is bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

VANG1 wrote: »
    People on here speaking about when we win it is bonkers.

I'm not sure many are speaking about it like that at all.

We pretty much all know it'll be a huge task to beat Exeter.

• Advertisement

VANG1 wrote: »
    The Exeter team to play Lyon is very strong and to beat them away will take some doing. People on here speaking about when we win it is bonkers.

Who said "when"?

Advertisement