Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ronan Kelleher was excellent against Connacht. It was a great performance, especially for his first match back after two months of injury. At the minute he's still that bit better than Sheehan. Has more power in the tight exchanges.

Also, I've been very impressed by Ross Molony in recent months. He's more powerful now and really making an impression at the ruck. But where he really stands out is with his ball playing. I think he might actually be Leinsters best passer amongst the pack. He made 5 or 6 beautiful linking passes, where he fixed a defender and popped a pass to a back running an arcing line behind him. Always led to hesitation on the opposition defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Probably a bit soon for Gunne.

But stranger things have happened

Kelleher offers physicality in the tight I don't think many can match. Seriously powerful with fantastic technique.

Molony is a baller alright. What sets him apart seems to be his subtlety in the carry and pass. It's very hard to read if he's going for a big carry or a tip on or out the back. Good defenders can read these as most players telegraph them to a certain degree. Molony doesn't have an obvious tell. Part of that is confidence though too. His carrying has gotten so good that he doesn't need to worry about the pass as much.

Having said all that I think Furlong does it better than anyone in the squad. And probably anyone in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Molony is quite the line out lad too. Serious operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Few interesting stats with Cronin's caps for Ireland. 72 caps over all, only 10 starts.

His first start was against New Zealand on the 2010 Summer Tour.

Was on the bench for the wins against New Zealand in 2016 and 2018

Only started only 1 Six Nations game ever, against Italy in 2019

Made his debut as a replacement in the 2009 game against Fiji in the RDS. Sexton and Sean O'Brien made their debuts that night as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

He got hammered after the Italy game....lineout was a shitstorm that day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cronins bench caps for Ireland showed what he was seen as, his attributes made him a good guy to spring from the bench.

for Ireland I’d have picked Best ahead of him every time however oddly enough I wouldn’t have swapped them at provincial level, I’d have taken Cronin all day over Best for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Best would have been a miles better player to have for knockout European rugby. He was a far stronger scrummager and had way more presence in the tight and around the breakdown.

Charlie Ryan has signed a dev contract with Leinster.

Surprised given how strong the rumours were that he was off.

Happy for him though. Will add to our second row stock and hopefully he can stay fit

• Advertisement

That's good news! He's suffered a lot with injury. I wonder if they will sign Maloney. If they don't, he should be picked up by another province!

Leavys retirement might be the best thing that could happen to Moloneys career which sounds harsh but that's the cruel reality of pro sport.

I think there is definitely room for him at Leinster now, at least for a season. We've 7 senior backrows at the moment in Leinster and it's fair to assume that at least 3 of them will be gone for every Ireland game they're available for. Leaves us with 4 senior backrows for international windows and that doesn't even factor in the inevitable injury unavailability.

The likes of Soroka and SOB are definitely capable of stepping up but so too is Moloney.

I think it's good business to put him on a 1 year deal and have a look at how he fares against SOB especially as I feel they are similar players. If nothing else he gets good film together for another club to pick him up.

I'm not so sure how he'd fare at another province. At best he'd be 3rd choice 6 or 7 in all the other provinces too

True enough! But, we are always minus someone with injury! Connors has missed the best part of this season. Deegan almost all of last season. Then there's the international lads. Ruddock, Deegan and Penny are great options during the international windows but, I think Maloney could be a sleeper in terms of ability. Whilst he may not ever be international standard, he could be Josh Murphy standard. I think teams always need lads who can step in and keep the standards up. I believe Maloney could be a smart pick up for Ulster or Connacht.

Charlie Ryan could be another lad who is under the radar. A big unit who did well at u20 level. Our stock is quite good in the 2nd row. Toner retiring and Dunne leaving opened up the contracts for Deeny and McCarthy as well as Jenkins. Who's to say that Ross Molony is not capped at international level. I think he's definitely fringe type player atm, he could be on the plane to N.Z. James Ryan has health concerns and is always going to play sporadically for Leinster. I would think JR will be played in Europe and the interpros! There's a lot of opportunities for the newly signed lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DelMcG

Yeah, looked all set to go, rumour was he was off to Exeter with Jack Dunne.

Makes sense to sign him up. Dev & Josh Murphy are off, Ryan & Baird will be in Ireland camp quite a bit (plus neither are without their injury concerns), Jenkins remains an unknown quantity especially injury-wise, so that leaves Molony, McCarthy & Deeny. No harm in an extra bit of cover & Joe Mc has shown what one chance can bring.

Forgot about Jenkins injury profile. There's a good chance that Joe Mc will get lots of opportunities. He's a big lad too. Almost 19 st and about 6ft 5in.

Either way, Deeny and Ryan are bid loose head locks who have potential.

Raynal is the ref v the Tigers.

Makes Leinsters job pretty clear. The best chance of a home final is to get at least one point from the South African tour and beat Munster with a try bonus in the final regular season fixture.

Do that and only Ulster or Glasgow can catch us. And seeing as the latter has their own South African tour to contend with, it's really just Ulster who can catch us. But Leinster has a far superior points difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

the final in the RDS? yes please.

I suppose it's a risk to send a weakened squad to South Africa and bank everything on a one off match against Munster. They could turn us over in such circumstances.

But that's what happens when the European knockouts are also scheduled at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If we're out of Europe by the time the Munster game comes around, we can go fully loaded and hopefully get the win to seal top spot.

If we're still in Europe, ie prepping for the final, we won't give a shyte about where the URC final will be held.

• Advertisement

The fixture scheduling between League and European competition is brutal. Our final league fixture against Munster is on the 21st of May. That's a week before the CC final. If we're in that, but also need points to secure a favourable league playoff off draw, the latter will have to be sacrificed.

If Leinster get past Leicester, the SF will be on the weekend of the 13th of May and the final on the 28th of May.

The URC QFs take place on the 4th of June. The SFs are on the 11th and the final on the 18th. So essentially 6 huge games in consecutive weeks from the 13th of May to the 18th of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭skeogh82

If nothing else Clegg it’s good practice for the Irish lads in advance of the World Cup next year…but you are right the scheduling is shocking

In more news of unexpected signings Leinster have signed Liam Turner on a senior deal also.

Another person who I suspected was going to be let go. Good on him. Hope he makes a proper go of it and thrives.

Also Leinster have definitely scheduled these posts go out ahead of time as they've come at 12 and 3 similar to the previous annoucements.

I expect we will see news about Moloney at 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

or 5pm

• Subscribers Posts: 41,524 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Liam Turner re-signed

edit: as 2 posts above :D

I'm glad to see the Charlie RYan signing for the reasons articulated above; lots of players leaving in that spot and he hasn't had a clear run from injury since the U20s GS, but I have to say I'm more surprised at this deal for Turner. He hasn't shone in the small handful of opportunities he's gotten, it seems a bit uncertain what his best position is and he looks a bit undersized.

That said, it's a losing game questioning the Leinster decision making in this space, so best of luck to him.

Pretty much nailed on prediction, they've just announced Martin Moloney has signed a deal.

Still no word of Henshaw renewing his contract. Hopefully that gets sorted soon.

Also need to see what's going on with Charlie Ngatai.

• Advertisement

Raynal reffing us might give us a very unique scenario against the Tigers.

Some of his decisions were not just criticised as being incorrect, but allegedly he acknowledged this to the Irish camp after the fact:

Given this will likely be a battle of Genge v Furlong again, I wonder how he will react to the scrutiny he was under. Certainly Genge sold him a pup a few times and one would hope that lightning does not strike twice. I'd be having McBryde out on the media the week of casually reminding the journos of that day to keep it fresh in his mind.

Also having Porter and Kelleher back will be a difference maker also. Kelleher is an excellent scrummager.

Also I'd be hoping Raynal will be wise (and gently reminded) to Leicesters maul set up and their penchant for their lifters actively blocking any attempt to get at the jumper. He pinged Henderson for it in that England game so hopefully he keeps Leicester honest

Advertisement