Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I think I remember BOD say re Madigan that he was great because the opposition never knew what he was gonna do, but the problem was neither did his own team half the time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Very little would have me think that had Madigan stayed in Ireland he wouldn't have been pretty rapidly eclipsed at international level by Jackson anyway - the latter was simply a far better no10.

Gopperth blocked Madigan getting gametime and I don't think MOC handled the situation at 10 well at all, but nothing I have seen since makes me think we missed out on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 20,188 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Frawley is back in Ireland preparing for the champions cup, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭durthacht

I think I'd prefer to see Clarkson and Deeny start again.

Clarkson had a tough evening but that happens to front rows, although the experience of Ala'alatoa might be important at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

a LBP would be a huge result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Indeed! I'm hoping for a good effort and the lbp. Stormers are a tough side. I think they're the best of the Bok sides.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ah only around 7 spring boks there, and 3 blitzbokke :D

6 / 2 split on the bench as well.

this will be a true challenge to our lads, a LBP would be an incredible result

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'll take a TBP too. Result doesn't matter too much if we can chalk up 4 tries and keep them below 170 or so...

Better conditions last week and a TMO who hasn't been lobotomised and we'd have gotten 4 last week.

I think we can go out and just go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

and keep them below 170 or so..

Well, because the Stormers are our most likely challenger for top spot and also our opponents this weekend, to overturn the current 126-point gap, they only need to win by 63.

If they run up a cricket score, we may find ourselves needing two match points against Munster in the last game. But I think we'll keep it respectable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Why do people think a losing bonus point be a good result? Are Leinster a team that's only good at massacring outmatched opposition?

There will be a number of internationals in the side - E. Byrne, Ala'alatoa, Ruddock, H. Byrne, O'Loughlin and perhaps Deegan and Tracy - as well as other high quality players like Murphy, Penny, TOB, Frawley and Osborne.

A win would be a good result. The Stormers lost 3-49 to the British Lions, and Ulster could easily have beaten them.

this cant be a serious post.. look at the team leinster name tomorrow and look at the stormers side and if you cant figure it out I dont know what to tell you.

also im fairly sure that stormers side didnt have any springboks in it.

Good point. Didn't consider that.

But if we score 4 tries we're guaranteed at least 20 points so they'd be needing to put 85 on us which would be a league record ha.

Stranger things have happened mind you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bookies currently have it as a 9 point spread... which is probably 2 or 3 points tight in my opinion

they had the sharks game as a 6 point spread and were fairly spot on at that.

Treacy is injured? Deegan will probably miss this one too! We'll field a callow inexperienced side. Is Ala'Alatoa even in S.A?

We will see more young players this week,imo. Might see Soroka start and M.O.R. Ruddock will play at 8 or even 7 with Penny moving to 8. 2nd row will be similar with Deeny benching and Murphy starting.

I hope we play well. Any kind of points is a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,188 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ala'Alatoa played last week so he was there. Don't know if he flew home though.

Did Frawley stay on SA or did he fly home?

There was a picture of Frawley and Penny posing with Jean de Villiers on the Leinster twitter page on Monday. I'd say it's unlikely they'd put that out if Frawley wasn't going to be involved this weekend.

Why would Ruddock play at 7 when you've got three opensides in the squad (Penny, Moloney, O'Brien)?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Only one springbok starter in the stormers team for Saturday

how many irish starters are playing for Leinster?

• Advertisement

Frawley still in SA.

Good article on Osborne in the42. Hard to believe he's just 20 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Interesting to see Frawley get the nod at 10 for tomorrow's game v the stormers.

Leinster Rugby team to face DHL Stormers (appearances in brackets):

15. Max O’Reilly (8)14. Adam Byrne (64)13. Jamie Osborne (17)12. Rory O’Loughlin (95)11. Rob Russell (3)10. Ciarán Frawley (51)9. Cormac Foley (3)

1. Ed Byrne (83)2. John McKee (1)3. Thomas Clarkson (16)4. Brian Deeny (1)5. Josh Murphy (59)6. Alex Soroka (3)7. Scott Penny (39)8. Rhys Ruddock (205) CAPTAIN

Replacements: 

16. Lee Barron (1)17. Michael Milne (16)18. Vakh Abdaladze (16)19. Jack Dunne (19)20. Seán O’Brien (2)21. Nick McCarthy (46)22. Harry Byrne (33)23. Martin Moloney (6)

Not surprised to see Cosgrove left out - in the limited amount I've seen this season he really needs to work on his tackling.

Disappointed to see TOB left out but I assume they always had A Byrne and Russell to get some minutes. Although I think he'd do a good job at 12 too

Yeah I think they wanted everyone fit to get minutes on the mini tour.

I didn't even notice Foley was starting lol.

Great chance for him.

I think Nick is a known quantity at this stage. Solid 9 who has likely hit their level.

Foley deserves a chance to show how he copes from the start. He's impressed me this season in the brief cameos.

Hopefully he can do it in 55-60 minutes now

Hard to know what to make of the call at outhalf there.

Frawley hasn't been played there and Byrne very clearly needs to be getting minutes. Is there a plan with Frawley at 10 or is this a once off? Is Harry Byrne fully healthy?

Seems an odd one. Hope Frawley goes well - is having a terrific season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Could anyone PM me if they know of a way to watch a champions cup match offline about an hour after it's finished.

I'll be in Italy for Leinster v Leicster and I'll be flying home that evening. No chance the OH is gonna let me take the final 3 hours we're away to sit in a pub watching the game - so ideally I'd watch it on the flight home. I just don't know where it'd be available on-demand, and downloadable within an hour of the game ending?

• Advertisement

It's senseless leaving TOB out if he's available. Okay, maybe making use of Byrne's aerial ability on crossfield kicks is part of the gameplan this week; select TOB on the left wing then.

Surely he must be injured for them to leave him out?

Advertisement