Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Speaking the bleedin obvious but next week's game against Exeter will be bloody hard. They don't have the overwhelming power or suffocating line speed that Saracens had at their best, but they're hyper accurate when they get into the 22 and grind you away until the score a try.

Leinster will need to monopolise possession and keep penalties to a minimum. Exeter look deadly in the opposition 22. Same tactics as the Munster game night be in order.

The Exeter lineout looks a bit dodgy though. If we can get Ryan back for this game I'd be much more confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Joe Simmonds after going off with an ankle injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Simmonds off with an injury, might be lucky if he doesn't play next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,221 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Should be the final. Nevertheless, bring it on, hope it stays dry in the week and its a springtime belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

What's the venue for next week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

degsie wrote: »
    What's the venue for next week?

Exeter

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Exeter will be extremely tough to beat in their backyard, one weakness with Leinsters game is they don't compete at the breakdown as much in our defensive play as we like to have as much men in the line. This will work against many teams except Exeter who are accurate and will punish us if they are allowed to go through multiple phases in our 22.
    Apart from Simmonds did Exeter pick up any knocks or injuries in this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Buer wrote: »
    Leinster will benefit far more from the week off than having played against a big, physical Toulon pack.

There are very few Leinster players who lack game time at all at this point. Even someone like ROL who wasn't involved in the 6N at all had played 80 minutes for 5 consecutive weeks before this one.

The only guys who haven't had lots of game time are the fringe Irish guys like Baird and Ruddock and I would have very little concern about them being undercooked given they've been fully fit and looked exceptionally physical during their appearances.

Every other Leinster player named in our team has had a workload ranging from solid to extremely heavy in the last 6 weeks.

The coaches will be delighted to get a week off at the business end of the season to rest up, get an extra training session or two in etc. Normally they wouldn't start their preparation for Exeter until Monday but I'd imagine they were well aware of this situation yesterday morning and were already readying sessions and analysis for the players based around Exeter.

The issue isn’t game time, we all know most of the players have plenty consistent minutes under their belt, the issue is getting the opportunity to have the 1st choice team to gel together.

Ofcourse the week off will be a massive benefit. The question is whether or not it’s a bigger benefit than a good opportunity to have everyone well gelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

.ak wrote: »
    The issue isn’t game time, we all know most of the players have plenty consistent minutes under their belt, the issue is getting the opportunity to have the 1st choice team to gel together.

Ofcourse the week off will be a massive benefit. The question is whether or not it’s a bigger benefit than a good opportunity to have everyone well gelled.

We will all know Monday morning. If Leinster win the week off will be the reason. If they lose the reason will be they are not battle hardened

I flicked on the Exeter game earlier and the BT commentary team was waffling about been battle hardened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

sebdavis wrote: »
    We will all know Monday morning. If Leinster win the week off will be the reason. If they lose the reason will be they are not battle hardened

I flicked on the Exeter game earlier and the BT commentary team was waffling about been battle hardened.

Baxter said he was glad of the game to reintegrate his internationals. He rested them against gloucester (which they lost) last week.
    Our game being a final we didn't have the option really.

The balance between rest and cohesion

• Advertisement

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Baxter said he was glad of the game to reintegrate his internationals. He rested them against gloucester (which they lost) last week.
    Our game being a final we didn't have the option really.

The balance between rest and cohesion

I think it was Jackman who said with the side of the Leinster squad and the quality a training game would be similar to a lot of teams playing another team in the league

Is rainbow cup total filler?
    Like europe qualifications for next year already decided?

Thought I saw SA sides would be able to qualify for Europe but is that from 2022/2023 European cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Thought I saw SA sides would be able to qualify for Europe but is that from 2022/2023 European cup?

Ridiculous if that ends up happening

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Wonder if James Ryan will be available for next week, would be a huge boost if he was.

TRC10 wrote: »
    Ridiculous if that ends up happening

Yea. I just keep finding contradictory statements.
    Wales online had an article not that long ago about the clubs still being unsure of what they needed to qualify for Europe.
    Think covid/rainbow cup/private equity investment has created a lot of confusion.

Talk about it but the Welsh & Scottish are blocking,.......probably because they will be the biggest losers if the SA teams are allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Should be the final. Nevertheless, bring it on, hope it stays dry in the week and its a springtime belter.

Why? Racing got a lot further in last year's competition, beating Saracens along the way, something Leinster were unable to do.

Toulouse and La Rochelle look dangerous as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Exeter game set for 530 on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Exeter game set for 530 on Saturday

Good time happy with that

Paul Boyle is playing very well for Connacht these days. Anyone know what the story is with him and Leinster? Was a part of underage rugby but appears he was never offered a senior contract.

Not saying we missed out or anything, but he's good enough that he'd do a job for us as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Clegg wrote: »
    Paul Boyle is playing very well for Connacht these days. Anyone know what the story is with him and Leinster? Was a part of underage rugby but appears he was never offered a senior contract.

Not saying we missed out or anything, but he's good enough that he'd do a job for us as well.

As a Connacht fan Boyle has been an extremely pleasant surprise, he wasn't a standout at Irish u20 level. Obviously he has a very good attitude towards improving and adding to his game, doesn't hurt that he has developed well physically also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »

Was on the same u20 team as Doris in 2017 and in the sub-academy that year too, but Scott Penny was given an academy contract in 2018, Connors and Doris were given senior contracts that year, Deegan the year before, so was unlucky to be caught up in a massive backlog where he didn't stick out as a super talent.

He's done very well out West, it's good to see players who might not have gotten a chance in Leinster make an impact. Hopefully the likes of Aungier and Dowling continue on the same path too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jaysus! Still a lot of lads out. This week will be like a final! Exeter are really tough. The season rides on this, imo. Shame about Dunne. I was hoping to see more of him during the Rainbow cup.
    Doris being out this long is worrying. It might be best to shut him down for the remainder of the season. Probably let Ryan rest up too!

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Jaysus! Still a lot of lads out. This week will be like a final! Exeter are really tough. The season rides on this, imo. Shame about Dunne. I was hoping to see more of him during the Rainbow cup.
    Doris being out this long is worrying. It might be best to shut him down for the remainder of the season. Probably let Ryan rest up too!

Head injury, I would be surprised if either Ryan or Doris show back up this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yea! Very worrying. Probably best to let them heal up. Ringrose will hopefully be back at some point soon.
    I expect to see Fardy start with Baird this week.

Mathieu Raynal is the referee for the match on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Well, Leinster will be taking the approach of trying to dominate possession and the set piece this weekend. They've no choice really. That's a very disappointing injury update. It's insane to think that Leinster may only have 3 proper back row options available for this game (is Josh Murphy fit again?) given the number of guys in the squad. Leavy, Deegan, Doris, Penny and Connors all confirmed as unavailable.

I can only assume it will be a very similar approach to how we went after Munster with a lot of very hard carrying around the fringes and a strong focus on our front five play. With Raynal officiating, the set piece is likely to be influential. The loss of Ryan is huge particularly after the number he did on Gray in the 6N.

Buer makes a good point on Ryan and his lineout prowess. I had a look at the 6 Nations stats last week and Ryan is down for the most lineout steals of any player in the tournament. That's despite the fact he only took part in two and a half games. He's quietly become a world class defensive lineout operator.

I watched Exeter the other day and they were as good as you'd expect from the European champions. But they were definitely wobbly at the lineout. Had a few stolen and an overthrow. That's an area we could have targeted with Ryan.

I had a look on babbling brook and a poster there has us down as currently missing 12 senior players through injury. Ryan, Doris, Leavy, Deegan etc. It's a testament to the work Lancaster and Cullen have done that we've won the league and gotten to a European QF with such an extensive injury list. I worry that this game against Exeter might be a step too far. They're the best side in Europe and going against them without two or our best forwards is a huge ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Surprised and a little worried about Ryan now. How long ago did he take that knock?

Advertisement