Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

.ak wrote: »
    Surprised and a little worried about Ryan now. How long ago did he take that knock?

Scotland game IIRC March 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Surprised and a little worried about Ryan now. How long ago did he take that knock?

Three weeks for the second one against Scotland, but failed his HIA against Wales at the start of the tournament too.

Would hope that it's just a case they're being proactive/ultra cautious about it given how close the two were together, but it's a bit ominous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Yeah, was a while ago for Ryan, but he did suffer two concussions in a row right? Not the usual RTP stuff when that happens id imagine.

I know it’s unlikely but I was kinda hoping that the injury update is a rouse to get Exeter planning for a Leinster pack without Ryan but he’ll be magically available when the team is announced on Friday.

I guess we can always hope, no matter how unrealistic 🀞ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »
    Buer makes a good point on Ryan and his lineout prowess. I had a look at the 6 Nations stats last week and Ryan is down for the most lineout steals of any player in the tournament. That's despite the fact he only took part in two and a half games. He's quietly become a world class defensive lineout operator.

I watched Exeter the other day and they were as good as you'd expect from the European champions. But they were definitely wobbly at the lineout. Had a few stolen and an overthrow. That's an area we could have targeted with Ryan.

I had a look on babbling brook and a poster there has us down as currently missing 12 senior players through injury. Ryan, Doris, Leavy, Deegan etc. It's a testament to the work Lancaster and Cullen have done that we've won the league and gotten to a European QF with such an extensive injury list. I worry that this game against Exeter might be a step too far. They're the best side in Europe and going against them without two or our best forwards is a huge ask.

We are missing a good few to injury, but a good number of those are outside the first choice 23. If we assume the below is our first choice 23 then we're really only missing 4 or 5.

Healy Kelleher Furlong
    Baird Ryan
    Ruddock Doris Connors

McGrath Sexton
    Henshaw Ringrose
    Lowe Keenan Larmour

Tracy, E Byrne, Porter, Fardy, VDF/Conan, JGP, R Byrne, Kearney

Beyond that we have Milne, Dunne, Leavy, Penny, Deegan, Osborne, TOB, COB, JOB & A Byrne all injured too. Plus who knows how many from the Academy. Most have no impact on who we'll put out on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Serbian wrote: »
    Yeah, was a while ago for Ryan, but he did suffer two concussions in a row right? Not the usual RTP stuff when that happens id imagine.

I know it’s unlikely but I was kinda hoping that the injury update is a rouse to get Exeter planning for a Leinster pack without Ryan but he’ll be magically available when the team is announced on Friday.

I guess we can always hope, no matter how unrealistic 🀞ðŸ»

Wasn't back to back as he played in the Italy game after missing the France game, but still pretty close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Two head knocks over the course of the tournament, think it's quite sensible to stand him down for a good length of time after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

It's probably nothing more than precautionary

Some good unfiltered insights into the current Leinster setup from Toner here. He seems unsure himself if he'll be on the books next season, hopefully some of his recent displays will cement him a bit more time.

Fardy as widely speculated a huge influence throughout the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Some good unfiltered insights into the current Leinster setup from Toner here. He seems unsure himself if he'll be on the books next season, hopefully some of his recent displays will cement him a bit more time.

Fardy as widely speculated a huge influence throughout the squad.

His scheduled involvement against Toulon and his performance against Munster show his value.

For me it's crazy to think of letting him go.
    Ryan and Baird will be wrapped in cotton wool for ireland and maloney/jack dunne not at his level. After that you are waiting on academy lads who may or may not come good.
    Only 34. They way he plays doesn't rely on speed or agility. No reason to think his performance level would drop off

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

FrannoFan wrote: »
    His scheduled involvement against Toulon and his performance against Munster show his value.

For me it's crazy to think of letting him go.
    Ryan and Baird will be wrapped in cotton wool for ireland and maloney/jack dunne not at his level. After that you are waiting on academy lads who may or may not come good.
    Only 34. They way he plays doesn't rely on speed or agility. No reason to think his performance level would drop off

Totally agree - Take it 1 year at a time , but certainly think he has 1-2 years at least of real value to the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Totally agree - Take it 1 year at a time , but certainly think he has 1-2 years at least of real value to the team.

Losing both him and Fardy at the same time seems too much, I’d be fairly sure Leinster want to keep him for at least another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Bazzo wrote: »
    Two head knocks over the course of the tournament, think it's quite sensible to stand him down for a good length of time after that.
    MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    It's probably nothing more than precautionary

He's pictured in the latest round of training photos anyway, looks fully togged out like everyone else, looks like he's training with the squad as normal. Fingers crossed it's a precaution but two incidents within a couple of weeks of each other definitely calls for a bit of restraint.

Big Dev - definitely would hope he is offered another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

He's pictured in the latest round of training photos anyway, looks fully togged out like everyone else, looks like he's training with the squad as normal. Fingers crossed it's a precaution but two incidents within a couple of weeks of each other definitely calls for a bit of restraint.

Big Dev - definitely would hope he is offered another year.

Doris fully kitted out in those pictures too. Both him and Ryan have the straps on their legs for line-out lifts. Would be great to have the two of them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

acer911 wrote: »
    Doris fully kitted out in those pictures too. Both him and Ryan have the straps on their legs for line-out lifts. Would be great to have the two of them back.

Didn't actually spot that but good to know as well, but anyway they should both take their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Only two selection calls for the weekend so - which of Lowe, Larmour or Kearney sits it out, and whether Fardy or Baird partner Toner. I would bench Lowe and Baird - Lowe based on current form and Baird because Fardy's experience will be massive. I'm assuming JGP isn't in contention to start, hopefully he can make the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Baird time has come. Cometh the hour cometh the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The Doc did media duties today, a lot of questions about how Leinster would prepare for Exeter without having a match intensity. He did mention they'd try and get the lads integrated from the Irish group as much as they can, but that no amount of training can substitute in the intensity you receive from a match. They said they won't be upping the amount of contact anyway, which is normal for professionals as they get enough of that in matches.

Hopefully we hit the ground running against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Only two selection calls for the weekend so - which of Lowe, Larmour or Kearney sits it out, and whether Fardy or Baird partner Toner. I would bench Lowe and Baird - Lowe based on current form and Baird because Fardy's experience will be massive. I'm assuming JGP isn't in contention to start, hopefully he can make the bench.

Yeah, I would've said you go with the same backline that was named against Toulon - but the week off suits Kearney who's been on great form but racked up a lot of minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Chiefs are a forwards orientated team so expect 6/2 bench split.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Another year for Toner would be ideal. If Leinster can't afford him, a year at Ulster?
    This weekend is the season! Until the next of course! I think I would go with Molony and Fardy in the engine room. Baird to bench for back row and Toner also on the bench.
    I think Dunne will turn out to be a good player! He's still very young and is still learning. From what I've seen, he's a big strong man. Plenty of time for him.
    Charlie Ryan, Deeny and Dunne, if they all are as good as Molony... I think that would be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Another year for Toner would be ideal. If Leinster can't afford him, a year at Ulster?
    This weekend is the season! Until the next of course! I think I would go with Molony and Fardy in the engine room. Baird to bench for back row and Toner also on the bench.
    I think Dunne will turn out to be a good player! He's still very young and is still learning. From what I've seen, he's a big strong man. Plenty of time for him.
    Charlie Ryan, Deeny and Dunne, if they all are as good as Molony... I think that would be great!

I don't think maloney is at the level of toner or fardy. If we had a proper back row sub I think he drops out.
    He isn't going to get any bigger and lacks the physicality to break into the next level of second rows.
    Runs a good lineout, makes tackles and hit rucks but not with the required impact.
    A really important player for Leinster the way Bent is but not one for starting this kind of game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭PMC83

Dubinusa wrote: »

I'd be seriously surprised to see Toner upsticks for a year in Belfast at the very end of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jack Dunne being ruled out for the next 4 months may be the final piece in a Toner extension. Dunne was clearly viewed as the next lock off the production line to become involved in the first team more prominently. Him being robbed of the development minutes in the RC and a chunk of pre-season has to be a factor in determining whether he's ready to be involved as a front line player regularly next season.

With Fardy leaving along with Ryan and Baird in the Irish 23 potentially, Leinster are left very short. Ryan, Deeny or McCarthy are unlikely to suddenly make 10-15 Pro14 appearances next season.

I'd be very surprised at this stage if Toner isn't given another year out of necessity. If he isn't, Dunne and Molony are the only senior locks available during international windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I've no doubt Toner will be offered some deal. Its whether that deal is enough motivation for Toner to stay on is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Benty wins Player of the Month.

I assume there was a typo in the announcement and they meant to say Player of the Decade.

Either way, fair play and well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭PMC83

Sangre wrote: »
    Benty wins Player of the Month.

I assume there was a typo in the announcement and they meant to say Player of the Decade.

Either way, fair play and well deserved.

I know we saw him lift the cup and so on, but have they officially announced hes off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

PMC83 wrote: »
    I know we saw him lift the cup and so on, but have they officially announced hes off?

It was mentioned (I think) on Eir he was leaving but I didn't see anything from Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

C'mon Leinster.

Stop delaying and just Announce Zebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

C'mon Leinster.

Stop delaying and just Announce Zebo.
    the Cork native considered the possibility of one-day joining Leinster - briefly.

"Never, no, no, not in a million years," he stated defiantly.

"No, it would never, never happen. I hate, hate that team. I would love to play them one day when I'm with Racing.

https://www.otbsports.com/rugby/simon-zebo-leinster-munster-911228

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

a million quid is an awful lot to pay somebody to play against the Dragons and Zebre with the u19s during international breaks

Advertisement