Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Skelton does change the dynamic! Massive man with skill. But, we should have a plan to cope. Last season the selection was poor, imo. It's a different match now!

I just was skimming the Leinster web page and I noticed that in the academy some lads have not been involved at all. Smith and Comerford in particular. Russell in year 1 has a handful of caps and McKie has grabbed the bull by the horns. I reckon those that have not featured are probably not in the future plans. Unless, they're injured?

I like the look of the 2nd row options for next season. I think Jenkins could be a good signing and with the emerging lads like McCarthy and Deeny, we could be set for a couple of years! I think Deeny and Charlie Ryan won't see many minutes but, they are big lads and have time on their side. If they can compete at at least a urc level, we'll be laughing. Jenkins, is on a 1 year deal? So maybe Charlie Ryan or Deeny can step up into his role if he's nor signed. We don't often produce big 2nd rows and these lads are obviously rated. I would not be concerned if Molony was involved with the national squad with Jenkins and Deeny etc available.

We could be at the verge of a really solid core for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Smith and Comerford have been playing 7s. It's the same pathway Keenan and JOB followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,294 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Decent pathway.

I'd have thought having 7s experience would make them used to having loads of space and they'd struggle with 15 defenders and without space. But in reality they're both excellent at spotting space.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This is a pretty outstanding try but the pass from Deegan is of the top drawer. Not many players in Ireland would pull it off imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I know a lot of people on the sevens circuit are fast, but it was mad to see how slow Smith seemed to be compared to them. Considering he is quite a quick winger in 15s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Smith had to bulk up for 15's, in the under 20's team he was not an out an out speed winger but what he did possess was ability to find space, great footwork. Then when I saw him play a couple of 15s games for Leinster he looked out of his depth. Definitely think he has potential and 7's for 2 years will greatly aid his development

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I have to admit I've soured a little on Jackman in the last few days. Stop speculating/making stuff up, man.

Admittedly I wasn't a huge fan of his work thus far either professionally or as a co-commentator/pundit, obviously not that he'd care what I think. But still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

I want him conceding those penalties now, as someone else said he's a forward who plays on the edge so its better he makes these mistakes now as a 21 year old so he can get them out of his system and not make those mistakes when he's an established International.

• Advertisement

McCarthy is raw! It's not a problem with only a handful of matches under his belt.

The penalty try was a good decision in my opinion! I think McKie was in over the line, if Scannell hadn't swan dived into the maul!

Good to hear Comerford and Smith are playing 7's! I don't recall ever seeing Comerford! Did he make the u20's?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Lowe and Furlong to be assessed... presume they'll play even if only 80%.

Having Larmour and Baird back gives up a few options but an unchanged XV seems very likely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Doesn't sound too promising for Furlong and Lowe

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I hope everybody has a five star week.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

About as promising as O'Garas update on Skelton last Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

If they are taking full part in training by Wednesday then all good ,as they fly on Thursday I think.

Just watched the weekend's match. Hats off to R.O.L for a great effort. Class operator. Exeter will like this lad. I thought Deegan was superb. Very physical and showed plenty of pace and that pass! Congrats to Dev and Nugget, great players for Leinster.

Good luck to the lads who are off to Connacht! Welcome John McKie! This man looks like a damn good prospect. Baird was really good as was Penny.

Great match@

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sorry to be pedantic but it's 'McKee'.

The new James Tracey/Tracy/Tracie/3i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's actually mad to think McQuay is 5th or 6th after Kelleher, Sheehan, Tracy, Cronin and tied in with Barron and both him and Barron have managed to perform. Happy days.

How many times can say "in fairness" during a match? I'm gonna go with 20 times.

Oops I forgot to mention Jackman!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Maybe if Makey doesn't make it as a rugby player he can follow his father's footsteps into law enforcement:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wasn’t his grandfather a prison guard in Slade prison?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How did he end up at Leinster in the first place? Was he not with Ulster originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ulster wanted him to play prop, he wanted to move to hooker.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In College in Dublin , not 100% on which though, Trinity I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I have to say I'm delighted with the performance our half backs but particularly Foley put in. Harry Byrne also showed the calm composure that had been lacking this season and I thought it was a strong showing from him.

You can't win these games without your halfbacks really taking control and they both did.

Foleys basics are very polished. Steady, consistent (if a little on the slow side) pass. He showed confidence around the fringes and was able to take a bit of responsibility off Harry at times.

While his box kicking tended to be a little bit long it was notable to me just how much he could get out of it. He seems to have a decent boot on him for height and distance compared to his age grade peers like Casey (whose box kicking I think will prevent him from hitting the highest level)

His 6 tackles is a very impressive tally for a 9 and I really liked his albeit failed attempted on JOD in the corner. He put absolutely everything into that hit with a lovely technique and JOD finished well but was very lucky the pitch wasn't 2cm narrower.

I think that performance was much better than anything we have ever seen of McCarthy and will be enough to push him to 3rd choice for next season with an eye on putting pressure on McGrath. Whose spot is there for the taking if he carries this seasons form into next.

Pity about his dislocated shoulder. He was one injury concern away from benching in a knock out game. His chances will come

• Advertisement

Foley was impressive. Murphy too in his cameo. I was delighted to see HB play well, not great but solid and confident.

Deegan played top level. I wonder if he's in with a shout this week? Overall, the 23 did great.

Some of these lads may get another chance v Glasgow. This weekends final will be tough and brutal. Some Frontline lads may be rested post final.

Advertisement