Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bridge93 wrote: »
    a million quid is an awful lot to pay somebody to play against the Dragons and Zebre with the u19s during international breaks

Off the bench. JOB will be ahead of him....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Sangre wrote: »
    Benty wins Player of the Month.

I assume there was a typo in the announcement and they meant to say Player of the Decade.

Either way, fair play and well deserved.

Well earned. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Irfu laid off some staff!. The funding must be in dire straits. This pandemic can't end soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Irfu laid off some staff!. The funding must be in dire straits. This pandemic can't end soon enough.

Still find it strange that in the majority they resigned all the older internationals on central contracts. The likes of Earls, Healy, Sexton, POM etc.....if anytime they wanted to reduce the budget they had a great excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

sebdavis wrote: »
    Still find it strange that in the majority they resigned all the older internationals on central contracts. The likes of Earls, Healy, Sexton, POM etc.....if anytime they wanted to reduce the budget they had a great excuse.

Maybe because the national team is the central pillar and those are all key players to varying extents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

sebdavis wrote: »

Probably all on reduced terms. Darcy talks about contract negotiations after your into your 30's. Union play hardball.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

This has probably been posted here before as it's a few years old at this stage but I stumbled upon the history of Leinster rugby on YouTube and am really enjoying it. It's close to 4 hours long and goes right back through the history of rugby in Ireland. Brought back lots of great memories of the 1980's, the quality of some of the players we had back then was really outstanding. When we talk of the GOAT's nowadays you would think that rugby was never played prior to it becoming professional. Anyway, though some of you might enjoy it so I'll leave the link below.

The History of Leinster Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I agree with Darcy's line in the Irish Times about Leinster looking like they can only wipe out inferior teams. They need a big performance at the weekend. If they struggle there'll be an unpleasant trend developing of failing when they come up against the best from England. Two losses against Saracens isn't much of a data set. But three would start to form a pattern. It'd be terrible if Leinster were a flat track bully side like Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

We are missing 3 of our top players so whatever the result of a one off match you could not draw that conclusion. Full strength we are well at the top table of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭eire4

VANG1 wrote: »
    We are missing 3 of our top players so whatever the result of a one off match you could not draw that conclusion. Full strength we are well at the top table of Europe.

Especially in the season that is this covid affected one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

It's not unusual for some players to be missing. Saracens had lost Kruis, Liam Williams and Skelton before they faced Leinster last time out, and Goode was at outhalf because Farrell was banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

You were talking about Exeter !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,221 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The bookies have nothing between the teams, same odds for +/- 2 points. I'd suggest that flatters Leinster slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I agree with Darcy's line in the Irish Times about Leinster looking like they can only wipe out inferior teams. They need a big performance at the weekend. If they struggle there'll be an unpleasant trend developing of failing when they come up against the best from England. Two losses against Saracens isn't much of a data set. But three would start to form a pattern. It'd be terrible if Leinster were a flat track bully side like Munster.

Possibly true. We will know come Saturday evening. For me racing the best team in europe right now. I still think Leinster at the top table where it takes an Exeter (defending champion) or saracens (defending champion when they downed us) or racing (champion in waiting) to beat us.
    We have seen at international level the margins are so fine that a few things going your way at the right time can decide a game.
    If we were to play exeter 5 times I'd suspect it would be 3-2 but I'm not sure to who.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

It's not unusual for some players to be missing. Saracens had lost Kruis, Liam Williams and Skelton before they faced Leinster last time out, and Goode was at outhalf because Farrell was banned.

Leinster are missing more than three.

Ryan, Doris, Connors and Ringrose are all starters. In my eyes Frawley is the replacement midfielder - he's out. And JGP vies with McGrath at scrum half but won't even be on the bench due to injury.

This is a heavily depleted side. That Leinster still have a real shot despite this speaks to their depth and coherence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

C'mon Leinster.

Stop delaying and just Announce Zebo.

An able replacement as tight head prop, given his recent gainz.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

sullivlo wrote: »
    An able replacement as tight head prop, given his recent gainz.

I’d fancy Furlong more at fullback

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

Where are we as regards injuries? Ringrose Ryan Doris and which other front liners?

I’m looking forward to the game tomorrow but reluctant as to what the result might be - Exeter very good team and club.

If we play the margins and grinding game we have come accustomed to under Cullen we might grind out a victory but away from home I’m not so hopeful. Will be Fascinating to watch.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Where are we as regards injuries? Ringrose Ryan Doris and which other front liners?

I’m looking forward to the game tomorrow but reluctant as to what the result might be - Exeter very good team and club.

If we play the margins and grinding game we have come accustomed to under Cullen we might grind out a victory but away from home I’m not so hopeful. Will be Fascinating to watch.

Will Connors and Gibson-Park also out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Will Connors and Gibson-Park also out.

JGB wasn't confirmed as out in the injury update.

Although "requires further assessment" is rarely a clearance in Leinster speak.

But I've been surprised recently so maybe we will see him benching

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

JGB wasn't confirmed as out in the injury update.

Although "requires further assessment" is rarely a clearance in Leinster speak.

But I've been surprised recently so maybe we will see him benching

Hopefully..

Yes I think we’ll need a specific game plan tailored to Exeter. Something along the lines of what Buer suggested earlier in the week - playing for possession and then holding onto the ball.

Obviously keeping Exeter defending and without the ball is a good primary goal considering how effective they are with it on attack.

What we do when we have the ball will determine the outcome. Wide or close and grind? I would be inclined to keep it tight and try and keep the score line low. Territory also. Boring but effective

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think I was more confident of beating Saracens last year than I am now of beating Exeter tomorrow. Not sure how much of current feeling is based on the outcome of that Saracens result. I'm very nervous!

I think I was more confident of beating Saracens last year than I am now of beating Exeter tomorrow. Not sure how much of current feeling is based on the outcome of that Saracens result. I'm very nervous!

In fairness - the sole difference between us and Sarries last time out was the scrum.

We gifted them 15 soft points in the first half (12 of which were from the scrum I think?)

Furlong is back and Porter has improved immeasurably from that day.

Nervous about Exeter but we've more than enough quality to beat them.

It will be a cagy day. Both teams play a high possession based game. Once they have the ball, it's very hard to get it back.

Exeter have an supremely effective attacking ruck and concede very few turnovers. Something Leinster don't look for either really.

Leinster tend to have a blink first mentality regarding defence. Happy to defend for upwards of 20 phases and very adept at it. I'm not sure that will work this time around though as Exeter can and will run at us off 9 or pick and goes for 80 minutes if they wanted.

My concern is that Exeter seem to play a game of attacking rugby to put a scoreline on the opposition. I’m not sure if we get into a tit for tat attacking and try scoring shoot out we have the fire power to stay with them. 13 channel concerns me with Ringrose out and Slade playing. An open wide game will not be to our strengths

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

15. Hugo Keenan (25)
    14. Jordan Larmour (55)
    13. Rory O’Loughlin (80)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (54)
    11. James Lowe (49)
    10. Johnny Sexton (172) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (145)
    1. Cian Healy (227)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (20)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (110)
    4. Scott Fardy (75)
    5. Devin Toner (262)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (186)
    7. Josh van der Flier (92)
    8. Jack Conan (101)

16. James Tracy (125)
    17. Ed Byrne (65)
    18. Andrew Porter (72)
    19. Ross Molony (112)
    20. Ryan Baird (20)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (28)
    22. Ross Byrne (98)
    23. Dave Kearney (165)

We're in trouble if Luke drops.

Other than that it's a strong team.

Let's go get em fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think we saw somewhat of a template for this game in the second half against Munster. We strangled the life out of them and kept them the hell out of our 22. If we can control territory even nearly as well as we did that day then that'll go a long way to winning the game. Exeter are a lot like us in that once they get into the 22 they tend to score far more often than not. I'd back us to score from outside the 22 marginally more.

Its going to be a fascinating contest, but we'll need to be ahead at 60 mins as our bench is a little bit light given the injuries. We've no real back row replacement meaning Fardy will probably need to play the 80 and HOS at 9 wouldn't inspire massive confidence in a game like this one. But if our back row can pick up where they left off 2 weeks ago then that could be huge.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think we saw somewhat of a template for this game in the second half against Munster. We strangled the life out of them and kept them the hell out of our 22. If we can control territory even nearly as well as we did that day then that'll go a long way to winning the game. Exeter are a lot like us in that once they get into the 22 they tend to score far more often than not. I'd back us to score from outside the 22 marginally more.

Its going to be a fascinating contest, but we'll need to be ahead at 60 mins as our bench is a little bit light given the injuries. We've no real back row replacement meaning Fardy will probably need to play the 80 and HOS at 9 wouldn't inspire massive confidence in a game like this one. But if our back row can pick up where they left off 2 weeks ago then that could be huge.

Agreed , supported by picking Fardy over Baird to start as he'd be better at being an awkward b****cks at the breakdown to slow down and frustrate Exeter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

15. Stuart Hogg, 14. Olly Woodburn, 13. Henry Slade, 12. Ollie Devoto, 11. Tom O'Flaherty, 10. Joe Simmonds (c), 9. Jack Maunder, 1. Ben Moon, 2. Luke Cowan-Dickie, 3. Tom Francis, 4. Jonny Gray, 5. Jonny Hill, 6. Dave Ewers, 7. Jacques Vermeulen, 8. Sam Simmonds.

Replacements:
    16. Jack Yeandle, 17. Alec Hepburn, 18. Harry Williams, 19. Sam Skinner, 20. Jannes Kirsten, 21. Stu Townsend, 22. Harvey Skinner, 23. Ian Whitten

Good side

Advertisement