Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

But who would they pursue? Surely HB at 23 yrs old is the way to go? Unless Jalabert or someone of that standard is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

They’re not going to get anyone from France but if they do they could do worse than getting someone like Carbonel. As I said it doesn’t have to be a world beater just someone who can do slightly more than what we have. Quade Cooper is playing in Japan but I will get laughed at for mentioning him!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Charlie Ngatai signing confirmed. Can't say I understand it really but lets hope he goes well, haven't seen all that much of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster actually have a dearth of centres going in to next season. ROL, Hawkshaw and COB are all leaving. I'd be surprised if Liam Turner is long for Leinster either.

Ringrose, Henshaw, Frawley and Osborne are our recognised centres and at least two of those will frequently miss games due to player management. That leaves just Frawley and Osborne. Wouldn't be surprised if the former also misses matched due to Ireland duty.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Leinster turn out great quantity of quality players at a great rate, but they aren't necessarily the tip top end players. Leinster has abandoned signing marquee platers. The likes of Elsom or Nacewa. There's no shame in having a couple of world class NIQ players, but leinster has none at the moment.

Relying on the academy is a decent strategy. But they would be better for signing a couple of marquee players. Jenkins might be one of those players but i haven't seen enough of him to tell. But I'm thinking the likes of Etzebeth. A player near their peak and not in need of development. Joe McCarthy might have great potential but you need peak athletes in finals.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

There might be one or 2 centres coming in to the academy next season but with Turner presumably moving on - we have a need for centres at present.

People tend to go into full defence mode about foreign players coming in and development opportunities for young guns and home grown talent and minutes managed etc.

The reality of it is players like this are brought in for more than the games they play in.

90% of Leinsters squad comes from a ~10km radius of the RDS (I'm not going to get into a discussion of club players or actual figures, I'm just making a point)

Culturally, they're all very similar. They've had similar upbringings, similar goals, similar peer groups, similar life events. That's broad talk.

On a more granular level, they've followed near identical pathways. Coaching methods, development milestones, coaches etc.

Then in comes a guy who couldn't be further from all of this. They come in with new ideas, different priorities, alternate outlooks of life, differing ethos and values and overall a different culture.

All of a sudden a huge playing pool of relatively sheltered (I do not mean this in a disparaging way) individuals experience something a bit different and they can learn and develop off it.

There's been enough anecdotes of the type of character James Lowe or Bundee Aki is to know that they've brought a huge amount more to the group than just playing ability.

Surely those who've played rugby at any level have seen elements of this. Over the years we've had various ringers from all over the world play with us for a few months or years and they difference they've brought has lasted even after they've gone. The difference they bring is refreshing

That was a very long way of saying welcome Charlie I'm delighted you're with Leinster!!

Most recently I saw him in the Challenge Cup final and he was fantastic.

We're lucky to have a player like him on board

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Leinster with a nice little crop of players with Maori heritage. Might have to become a tribe and change the name to Ngati Leinster.

Ngatai was a fantastic player before his concussion issues but shortly after his recovery he signed for Lyon and I have no idea about recent form. At worst he will be a solid signing but potentially could be a bit of a gem.

I think we might see Frawley get more games at 10 next season which promotes the news for another 12 anyway.

Sexton probably won't play all that often and I think there's still questions over Ross Byrne in the biggest games. Very steady player but lacks a spark of ingenuity.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Let's hope he's over his horrific concussion issues.

He would have played with Lowe at the chiefs and would have captained JGP with the Maoris, so those boys will know him well.

I'm expecting him to become a well respected leader within the group

Was ROL not offered a contract? Did he choose to move on? I believe Turner did sign a development contract? Perhaps, Ngati is signed so Frawley can play some 10?

Turner is not rated on here. But what if he does make a good career! What if he develops like Daly? I'm not saying he will but, he's young and has time.

I hope Jenkins is healthy next season and improves Leinster. On the other hand, what if he's not a good signing! We signed a kiwi a few years back, who was ok! Nothing great, just ok! Before that was the Aussie. He was a poor signing. I can't remember his name.

There is a need for imports. That's obvious atm. But, I think a loose head would have been a better pick. We will see. I feel Ngati will be a good signing. We are short on centers, with only 1 coming into the academy.

Was ROL not offered a contract? Did he choose to move on? 

he chose to leave

We signed a kiwi a few years back, who was ok! Nothing great, just ok!

are you referring to Hayden Triggs? he was better for us that his previous career would have suggested.

Before that was the Aussie. He was a poor signing. I can't remember his name.

lote tuqiri. yeah he was an injury riddled gamble that didnt really pay off. i cant imagine he would have cost much at that time though.

Hopefully the usual suspects don't treat Ngatai the same way they did Tomane if he makes a mistake on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I think they're referring to Kane Douglas as the Aussie.

Put in some average performances. Got a back injury and surgery and returned to Australia having completed 1 year of a 2 year stint citing family reasons. I do believe his wife was pregnant at the time.

ah yeah, he was a disappointment, kinda epitomised the MOC era

Yea! That's the guy. He left early too! Triggs was the other lad. I don't think they brought much to the team. We need another Fardy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

From what I've seen, I'd be very surprised if Ngatai wasn't a success, fitness depending. Absolutely brilliant player.

I hope we see a backline of Lowe, Osborne and Ngatai on the same pitch next season. All three can punt the ball ridiculous distances. The opposition would be terrified of kicking loosely to us.

Knowing you can safely clear your lines and also get into the opposition half from your own 22 could be a huge tactical advantage for Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Leinster have been relatively lucky with the imports over the years...

Thorn, Gopperth, Kirchener, Fardy, Te'o, Tomane, Whittaker and of course Isa

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Triggs was a cult hero in the RDS, definitely performed above expectations.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

As was Bent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

+1 on this . I listened to a few Stuart Lancaster podcasts (Rugby Weekly and Ben Ryans) recently which were very good. He speaks so openly about his own failures and what he's learnt from them.

One thing I noted was he references the importance of diversity within a group, McBryde Contemponi and himself being a good example.

However what we don't see is diversity in players in Leinster. We often reference the importance of Isa, Rocky Elsom and Brad Thorn in what they brought to the group and winning. Apart from Furlong Frawley Osbourne Lowe and JGP the Leinster squad are all from very similar backgrounds. Does the playing group need more diversity?

There's a lot of soul searching and panic regarding our season! The team didn't win and it's tough to win year after year at this level. We still are a top level team! We can be beat but so can everyone!

We weren't embarrassed or beaten off the park with our balls dragging behind us! Can Leinster improve? Can they be a tougher mistake free side?

Some errors cost us in Europe and the Bulls pressure unsettled us. I for one don't think Leinster won't improve. Mistakes and errors are part and parcel of the game! We came out with the short straw!

Realistically, the urc is now vastly more difficult to win. The bokke teams will be perennial contenders. The level has to rise to win this league. I doubt Leinster will ever see 4 wins on the trot. The calibre of the league is better and the original teams have to adapt, improve and match the S. A teams.

Just having the southern teams will benifit not only the league but, our international interests. Leinster have to tread in a difficult league, as do the other franchises. The results will be tougher to come by and the silverware too. It's fair to say the urc is better league now. Yes, there's weak sides but there's a lot of tough and really good teams also. We in Ireland should be happy that the provinces will have to improve to be the best.

Europe will be great with the booked teams next year. It will be fascinating to watch.

If there’s one thing Lancaster is not, he is not a failure. He has come so close with many of the teams he had coached but I would say Leo’s influence of asking him to play attacking rugby and play youngsters is stymied with selection being overrrided by him.

Ok- it makes Leo looks good with youngsters being blooded but perhaps it isn’t high end Heineken winning strategy. Leo had the final say, Stu is the coach. I feel for the guy being held down by someone above him making the final call.

Our results hang on Leo and only Leo, not Lancaster. I would like to see Stu set free to make his own calls and hang on them or not as the case may be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

He used this term himself and it was about how he developed as a coach. I'd listen to him all day and think he's self-effacing but obviously a brilliant coach. Do we know how selection is decided? I do get the vibe of some "untouchables" when we come to big games now.

Cullen undoubtedly names the team. He will have input but the axe falls on him so he is the one calling the shots. There are some untouchables, namely one, but I see him under pressure next season or two.

I agree with the results stop with Leo! He's the boss! He gets the plaudits when we win, he should be criticized when we lose. He's done a good job, imo. There's no shame in losing in the European final, it's disappointing but, it is tough to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He will have input but the axe falls on him so he is the one calling the shots.

You mean the axe you have to grind with Ringrose?

Advertisement