Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Was I the only one disappointed with Fardy today? I felt he was quite mixed and if there ever really was a call to be made between keeping him or Dev (I don't think there was) then its probably a done deal now. It's unfortunate as Fardy has been a great signing for us overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Buenavistam

VdF's performance today was excellent IMO... Every time there seems to be a challenge to his position as Leinster(even Ireland?) 7 he seems to raise his level of performance to new heights. If he hadn't have been the successor to Sean O'brien (impossible boots to fill) I wonder would he have even more status... There is serious competition in this position but every time he seems to raise his game yet rarely gets the plaudits he deserves I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

molloyjh wrote: »
    Was I the only one disappointed with Fardy today? I felt he was quite mixed and if there ever really was a call to be made between keeping him or Dev (I don't think there was) then its probably a done deal now. It's unfortunate as Fardy has been a great signing for us overall.

Yeah, I think Fardy might be done at this level tbh. His performances have been tailing off a bit over this season. A cracking signing for Leinster but I think time is catching up with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Clipped this from the game. Conan enjoying that last scrum against Exeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

molloyjh wrote: »

Yea. Fardy not what he was. Early free kick was needless at lineout set platform for first trump
    Baird was meant to start v Toulon and can see why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Hypothetical: Imagine all back rowers were completely fit and in the best form. Who do you pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

hahashake wrote: »
    Hypothetical: Imagine all back rowers were completely fit and in the best form. Who do you pick?

Leavy, Conan, Dorris

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ruddock, Vdf, Conan

I figured there will probably be plenty of different answers. Which is a blessing and a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I figured there will probably be plenty of different answers. Which is a blessing and a curse.

Definitely not a curse. We had six senior back rows injured yesterday and were still able to field a unit that significantly out-performed Exeter.

But I honestly don't know what the best combo is. I don't know if any single player would be guaranteed a starting spot if everyone was fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

As Leinster can only play a french club from here on there are big questions as to venues because of new quarantine rules.

If Leinester drawn at home then the match will have to move, probably to a neutral venue - UK?

If drawn away they can travel and play but face 12 days at the Crowne Plaza on return !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Definitely not a curse. We had six senior back rows injured yesterday and were still able to field a unit that significantly out-performed Exeter.

I’ve said a few times on the Ireland thread that the balance is not right in the back row, it was less than the sum of its parts. I think a big reason Munster struggle against us despite really good back rowers is they never dominate Leinster back row. Leinster seem to be able to change up the back row constantly and still be nearly always the better back row on the pitch. The speed the game is played at means back rows are really important and a team with a dominant back row will always be in pole position.

deckie66 wrote: »
    As Leinster can only play a french club from here on there are big questions as to venues because of new quarantine rules.

If Leinester drawn at home then the match will have to move, probably to a neutral venue - UK?

If drawn away they can travel and play but face 12 days at the Crowne Plaza on return !

Does professional sport not have exemptions for this stuff?

The curse is purely hypothetical at the moment. That world class guys get no game time but still want to/deserve to play as a starter somewhere. Even if it means going to France. But with a carousel of injuries that situation is avoided.

salmocab wrote: »

Not for countries for which quarantine is required

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I’ve said a few times on the Ireland thread that the balance is not right in the back row, it was less than the sum of its parts. I think a big reason Munster struggle against us despite really good back rowers is they never dominate Leinster back row. Leinster seem to be able to change up the back row constantly and still be nearly always the better back row on the pitch. The speed the game is played at means back rows are really important and a team with a dominant back row will always be in pole position.

Going to say it in the safety of this thread, you need a back row that has a rounded set of skills and when Stander gets shut down (as Leinster would have done regularly) he will still work hard but just doesn't offer much else. I honestly think his retirement is going to help Ireland.

/controversial opinion

For Leinster with everyone fit I don't think there's a right answer tbh. There's probably going to be a full back row who don't make the 23 that would perform just as well as the starters. I think we all reckoned Doris was one of the first names down but how do you leave out Conan playing like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

BoD said something a few years ago on OTB about defending at 13. That some teams posed far more questions then others and made decision making far easier for defenders. Think its similar here. Last RWC QF final. NZ players shouting 8 8 8 8 8 as they identified Stander was lining up to carry and they had a plan. Hold him up, maul, Turnover, scrum, Try.

Look at the recent Scotland game. When Furlong went disco dancing and passed to Stander, he just shovelled the ball wide aimlessly. Conan, Doris, VDF, Ruddock etc would have attacked the space, drawn the man and passed accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,052 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yes it does, if Sport Ireland grant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Ruddock
    Conan
    Leavy
    Dorris
    Connors
    VdF
    Deegan
    Penney
    (Dr) Murphy

An embarrassment of riches. Surely they can't all be accommodated, or can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

KaneToad wrote: »
    Ruddock
    Conan
    Leavy (injured)
    Dorris
    Connors (injured)
    VdF
    Deegan (injured)
    Penney (injured)
    (Dr) Murphy (injured)

We picked our only three contracted fit back rowers this weekend. So really the talk should be how to get more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

KaneToad wrote: »
    Ruddock
    Conan
    Leavy
    Dorris
    Connors
    VdF
    Deegan
    Penney
    (Dr) Murphy

7 of them are currently injured. At least 4 will always be injured at anyone time. Based on what we have seen in previous seasons. We have seen backrows move on for gametime before. Probably will again but for the most part it never seems to be an issue. I could possibly see Deegan moving on, depending on how next season goes for him.

Yes it does, if Sport Ireland grant it.

Sorry but No.

Spoirts Ireland can grant an exemption from restrictions from countries not listed for MHQ - for example, a team from the UK or Germany, but there is no exemption from MHQ.

It hasnt really arisen yet because the initial list ddint include many countries with which we'd be engaging in top level sport.

Here is the extremely short list of exemptions from MHQ

Exemptions
    The Health (Amendment) Act 2021 identifies those who are exempt from mandatory hotel quarantine. If your trip to Ireland is not in any of the categories below, then you must complete mandatory hotel quarantine at a designated facility:

arriving into the State in the course of duty and who hold a valid Annex 3 certificate (ensuring the availability of goods and essential services)
    arriving in the State in the course of duty and are drivers of a heavy goods vehicle
    airline pilots, aircrew, maritime master or maritime crew and who arrive in the State in the course of performing duties
    travelling to the State pursuant to an arrest warrant, extradition proceedings or other mandatory legal obligation
    a member of An Garda Síochána or Defence Forces (or their equivalents from another state) and travelling to the State in course of duty
    travelling to the State for unavoidable, imperative and time-sensitive medical reasons and these reasons are certified by a registered medical practitioner or person with equivalent qualifications outside the State
    having been outside of the State to provide services to or perform the functions of an office holder (under any enactment or the Constitution) or a member of either house of the Oireachtas or the European Parliament
    diplomats and certain other categories of persons entitled to privileges and immunities in the State
    Regulations will also exempt transit passengers who do not leave the port or airport before travelling out of the State and who have a 'not detected' COVID-19 PCR test result, following a test taken within 72 hours of their arrival into Ireland.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a6975-mandatory-hotel-quarantine/#exemptions

I’d imagine something can be sorted quite quickly for an exemption

you're kidding ?

We're literally reading stories about fully vaccinated people not being able to get an exemption for a family funeral but you think one should be granted for a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah, Ravenhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

you're kidding ?

We're literally reading stories about fully vaccinated people not being able to get an exemption for a family funeral but you think one should be granted for a match.

Ah mate I'm busy riding the crest of a stellar win here.

To use a phrase I've never gotten to unironically use... You're harshing my buzz

Take it to the covid forum

you're kidding ?

No not kidding at all

• Subscribers Posts: 41,659 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yes, section 38G allows for the sitting minister to make exemptions as they see fit

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭wavehopper1

Clipped this from the game. Conan enjoying that last scrum against Exeter.

His lepping will have to be a bit higher to beat Furlong's celebrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

you're kidding ?

Someone who is vaccinated can still carry and transmit Covid. A pro sports team carrying out regular testing and following strict protocols isn't remotely similar to that scenario. I dont know if an exemption would be made, but if it is there's no point in false equivalences.

Advertisement