Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,220 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Podge_irl wrote: »
    PCR tests are the most reliable. Literally.

I wouldn't say that.

Up to mid week, of the 430 odd who had entered hotel quarantine, all of whom presented negative PCR tests on arrival, 10 had tested positive for Covid at the hotels, within days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that.

Up to mid week, of the 430 odd who had entered hotel quarantine, all of whom presented negative PCR tests on arrival, 10 had tested positive for Covid at the hotels, within days.

A negative PCR test on arrival just means that some time in the previous 72 hours they did not have detectable levels of the virus.

PCR tests are still the most reliable - as in there is not a more reliable test out there.

Well that makes the IRFUs pending argument to the Government, for an exemption to quarantine for elite sports fixtures, a huge challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Wonder could Leinster at least get permission to do their quarantine in Carton House so they can train during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Well that makes the IRFUs pending argument to the Government, for an exemption to quarantine for elite sports fixtures, a huge challenge.

Was there not a similar issue last year , not to do with MHQ, when the government had to rush amending legislation through the dail.?

• Advertisement

RGS wrote: »
    Was there not a similar issue last year , not to do with MHQ, when the government had to rush amending legislation through the dail.?

I do recall something like that yes.

No doubt we'll hear something in the next few days.

Mind you, the way two people were released out of MHQ by going to Court over it these past couple of days, I feel the whole edifice is about to come tumbling down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Baird needs to be starting from now on. No rubbish talk about experience.

Is there a chance that if Leinster are unable to complete the fixture due to restrictions that LaRochelle will get a pass into the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Baird needs to be starting from now on. No rubbish talk about experience.

Tbh it’s not his experience that’s holding him back, there are several weaknesses in his game he needs to work on. His rucking, especially on late arrivals, is poor. I’d imagine he’ll iron them all out but no need to rush him like.

Is there a chance that if Leinster are unable to complete the fixture due to restrictions that LaRochelle will get a pass into the final?

Would be pretty damning for the competition, especially if La Rochelle went on to win it.

They might tell Exeter or another QF loser to be on standby in case something can’t be worked out.

Though it would be just as bad if a team that had lost a QF were brought back in and went on to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Robin McBryde will be coaching the Lions this summer. Leinster's pack had been very good this season once we got to grips with the new rules interpretations. McBryde deserves a lot of credit for that.

https://twitter.com/FoyChris/status/1381356627903799300?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Would be pretty damning for the competition, especially if La Rochelle went on to win it.

They might tell Exeter or another QF loser to be on standby in case something can’t be worked out.

Though it would be just as bad if a team that had lost a QF were brought back in and went on to win it.
    I wouldnt see it as damning for comp if La Rochelle did go on to do it. Just would be accepted as a covid related issue just like countless competitions last season/year were finished on points per game etc across multiple sports.
    Very Unlikely a QF loser will be on standby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Leo is quoted in the IT that a good chunk of injured players should be back for the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

VANG1 wrote: »
    Leo is quoted in the IT that a good chunk of injured players should be back for the semi.

I would say the Munster match the week before will be a full strength side with it being a good indicator of who plays the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Nick McCarty rejoining for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Potentially, but you'd imagine that the EPRC would try arrange an alternative venue in another country if there's no exceptions to the quarantine rules etc. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was left up to Leinster to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

Potentially, but you'd imagine that the EPRC would try arrange an alternative venue in another country if there's no exceptions to the quarantine rules etc. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was left up to Leinster to work out.

There is no issue with Leinster travelling to France to play la Rochelle. The only issue surrounds their return

deckie66 wrote: »
    There is no issue with Leinster travelling to France to play la Rochelle. The only issue surrounds their return

Yes. Hence why I said it'd likely be left up to Leinster to sort out but an alternative venue in another country could bypass the mandatory quarantine on return

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭swiwi_

acer911 wrote: »
    Nick McCarty rejoining for next season

How many weeks compulsory quarantine if you return from Munster? :D

swiwi_ wrote: »
    How many weeks compulsory quarantine if you return from Munster? :D

It’s okay if you wipe your feet on the way back

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

One person I think who doesn't get enough credit is Ross Molony.

He has really improved over the last 2 years and I thought made a noticeable impact on Saturday.

He's not going to start for Ireland anytime soon but he's become a very able Pro14/replace ECC player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Yes. Hence why I said it'd likely be left up to Leinster to sort out but an alternative venue in another country could bypass the mandatory quarantine on return

The final is in France so either Leinster beat La Rochelle and stay in France and train for the final there or they lose and they come back and quarantine and those who didn’t travel and play in the rainbow cup match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    The final is in France so either Leinster beat La Rochelle and stay in France and train for the final there or they lose and they come back and quarantine and those who didn’t travel and play in the rainbow cup match.

Leinster are not going to travel if they need to do MHQ on return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like there may be trial of antigen testing next month if gov gives it the go ahead

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-rugby-announce-plans-for-rapid-antigen-testing-pilot/

UAEguy2020 wrote: »

There's no way Leinster are going to travel to France and stay there for the guts of a month, and then have to do a 10-14 day mandatory quarantine on top of that when they come home.

I'm guessing nothing's off the table yet to facilitate the last two games of the Champions Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Leinster are not going to travel if they need to do MHQ on return.

Then they may be force to forfeit the match for r the government will need to grant them exception.

I honestly think Leinster will be given an exception as all hell will break loose if Leinster had to forfeit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Faugheen wrote: »
    One person I think who doesn't get enough credit is Ross Molony.

He has really improved over the last 2 years and I thought made a noticeable impact on Saturday.

He's not going to start for Ireland anytime soon but he's become a very able Pro14/replace ECC player.

Fully agree.

Molonys biggest crutch was a general lack of physicality. He struggled to make an impact particularly with ball in hand and in attacking rucks.

His carrying game has improved hugely this season and he's been making solid yards with ball in hand.

While his tackling has never been a major point of difference for him - he's always been strong in that area but it was good to see him make an impact tackle at the weekend. Him and Baird melted a fella.

I've said it before that I think he's the best lineout forward in Leinster.

Obviously we have Dev but Ross offers options as a lineout caller, an offensive jumper and crucially as a defensive jumper too.

We're so lucky to have a player of his caliber on our books. He'd start up in Ulster and probably in Munster too (rate him above Kleyn) and likely would be a stalwart at one of the premiership clubs. I think he'd thrive somewhere like Northampton

Fully agree.

Molonys biggest crutch was a general lack of physicality. He struggled to make an impact particularly with ball in hand and in attacking rucks.

His carrying game has improved hugely this season and he's been making solid yards with ball in hand.

While his tackling has never been a major point of difference for him - he's always been strong in that area but it was good to see him make an impact tackle at the weekend. Him and Baird melted a fella.

I've said it before that I think he's the best lineout forward in Leinster.

Obviously we have Dev but Ross offers options as a lineout caller, an offensive jumper and crucially as a defensive jumper too.

We're so lucky to have a player of his caliber on our books. He'd start up in Ulster and probably in Munster too (rate him above Kleyn) and likely would be a stalwart at one of the premiership clubs. I think he'd thrive somewhere like Northampton

Molony is in the Michael Bent bracket for me, quality operator going about his business efficiently without setting the world alight. It’s guys like that that get you to finals year after year and keep the show on the road when the internationals are away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

.ak wrote: »
    Tbh it’s not his experience that’s holding him back, there are several weaknesses in his game he needs to work on. His rucking, especially on late arrivals, is poor. I’d imagine he’ll iron them all out but no need to rush him like.

Did Cullen come out and say that or are you coaching him now? In all seriousness he could do with upping his work rate at hitting rucks and offering himself for carries.

He always does well on the tackle stats but you’d expect someone so young and energetic to up his contributions outside of set piece.

Actually on thinking about it, His scrum and lineout both need marked improvements and are not above Pro14 standard yet. He has been crushed on a few scrums and has fluffed numerous lineout catches in his appearances to date.

Advertisement