Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

…happy saps…

I am advocating it here to try and raise standards in the fans minds.

The level of hubris here is almost impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

It’s a light hearted way of saying they don’t expect more than they are given. And looking back through posts to try and find contradictions when there’s not one there, is the lowest form of chip on shoulder-ism. Please return to the Munster thread where you can espouse your supposed high brow put-downs and opinions.

Your air of supposed superiority is misplaced. You have constantly had a go at me in in my time here. I wondered why. You play yourself off as humble and you think your allegations stick. They don’t, they’re water off a ducks back. Please go to where less uncouth people are in your opinion. The Munster thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Literally nobody has said we're "all conquering". You've completely made that up.

We played to the conditions and beat a very good team away from home. I game I didn't expect us to win. People are happy about that.

• Advertisement

But they aren’t above average European standards. 

Henshaw isn't above average European standard apparently. That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a while.

Henshaw would get into any test team bar maybe South Africa's.

Ringrose may not be world class but he's certainly above average.

People probably know I'm not averse to taking a cynical view on things, but come on now. This is next level negatively.

I absolutely haven't had a go at you. I've had a go at the things you claim. Which now includes things like:

• Farrell will select Connors ahead VDF because he favours size.
    • The brand of rugby Ireland play under Farrell isn't particularly exciting and is similar to the way Schmidt had us playing.
    • Alex Soroka will nudge past James Ryan sometime soon.
    • Henshaw and Ringrose aren't above average European standards.
    • Really weird rants bringing schools rugby into things.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You’re a small little man and because of your personal manner in targeting me I can only wonder if it’s because you’re not who you say you are and you are indeed a Dubliner from Leinster parading as a Munster man to do what? Win over Munster fans onto your side so that you can launch personal attacks at Leinster fans that don’t agree with your viewpoint? You’re exactly similar to Awec , you’re a group of Rock boys trying to influence the discussion and I think the posters in the know on this forum can see through it. Your “Ya’s” don’t make you a Cork boy, they make a cynical Dub trying to lead people into supporting a certain viewpoint. People are smarter than you think and will see straight through your diatribe on this site.

Moving on, you really are a small man trawling back and possibly even keeping a record of previous posts. It smacks of a coordinated effort to discredit individual posters on this site to influence the discussion. The faux victimhood of the likes of yourself and Clegg et al make you no less savage behind the scenes than you are in real life.

Starting with your first point:

1. Farrell will select Connors over VDF - he already did that in 2021 when Josh was having a stormer and double Mom performances in Europe. Am I stupid to think he might do it again?
    2. The brand of rugby under Farrell isn’t exciting: This is subjective. We beat the All Blacks with error free defensive rugby. It wasn’t all out attacking and out scoring your opponent. I won’t turn my nose up at it but I would prefer more running rugby.
    3. Alex Soroka will nudge past James Ryan: Someone only said it on the Leinster thread today that James Ryans place isn’t guaranteed. I think that person rates Soroka as a blind side, however, I believe he is a greater talent than most players on the Leinster squad and I stick to that and I think he is too good at lineout, ruck and maul time to not have him in the thick of it at second row. If Leinster are to stay true to their mantra of meritocracy they should promote players who are good enough. In my view Soroka is waiting in the wings to make his break through. Why not sooner rather than later.
    4. Henshaw and Ringrose aren’t above average European standards. You read my post today, I stick by it. They are not game breakers and therefore I think there are better centres in European and international rugby.
    5. Really wierd rants about schools. This is disingenuous of you. I don’t have definitive proof but can see the woods from the trees by peoples motives and the players and coaches they support relentlessly. You are obviously a wind up merchant with your - “Ya’s”. I held my breath on biting on them in the past, I won’t any more.

In short, I can see by biding my time over the years and weighing people up before coming on here, the people with agendas. You are so subtle in your wordplay and wind ups, you think you are smarter than everyone else. You’re not. And neither is Clegg, Awec, Buer and your school pals who you coordinate to come on here and influence the discussion. Rock are going down, I don’t have an exact timeframe but the decline is already apparent to anyone who can see. You’re savagery and monotonism is going to be defeated in this country and hopefully the sooner the better. I believe Dublin will stand up and see to it that this pseudo communism and complete totalitarianism is put to bed. And soon.

Post edited by Itxa on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He’s obsessed with what people did when they were children. It’s very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Lads the ignore function will make your lives a lot easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭OldRio

What the hell have I just read?

What would a psychologist make of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Can we just ban him please? He's a re-reg of an already banned user.

I’m sure they would say it’s very logical and reasonable. If it’s factual, although we don’t have proof, it must be reasonable. Was the world not round when it was said to be flat?

As for the rest of it, 70 trophies in 130 years is totalitarian in its nature. To the people who say it’s success, it’s not, it’s domination and bondage. You can’t keep in control by dominating everyone in our city. And I hope it will be seen to so that it doesn’t happen much longer.

Post edited by Itxa on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

But he said he’d been watching for years before joining, you don’t think he’s fibbing do you?

Wow. Just... wow.

What the f*ck is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

And I thought I needed more meds...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If people stop engaging with them, it would really help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Advertisement

Joe McCarthy was excellent in yesterday's Emerging Ireland game. It's a shame he's not available to Leinster, but I'm glad he seems to be excelling in a different environment.

I think he has all the makings of a test standard player. Physically powerful and can make huge hits and carries. But he also has decent hands. I think the one area where he sets himself apart from any other lock on Leinsters books is the breakdown. He made three turnovers yesterday. Had a few steals on the deck last season as well. As highly as I rate Ryan, he doesn't pose a threat there. Neither does Molony and I'm not sure what Jenkins is like either.

It's an area of the pitch that our front five could do with improving. Porter is a decent jackel threat, as is Sheehan. Having a second row that can poach ball would add another dimension to Leinsters defensive breakdown. They tend not to flood that area and instead fan every man across the pitch to make a solid defensive line. But another turnover threat would make opposition attacks slightly more hesitant.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭hold my beer

This thread is completely unreadable for months, if not years now. I'm convinced the main culprits are all AI. It's hard to imagine a human could produce such drivel.

Edit:. Apologies, I thought this was the Ireland thread.

What's AI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭ersatz

@Clegg re McCarthy. He also has pretty good feet and seems able to step the first tackle in very tight spaces often enough. He was very good against the MAB too and really could be one of those players who could make the international scene without owning the club jersey if injuries create a space.

Good shout on his footwork. It's notable how many of the younger Leinster forwards are so comfortable in switching the angle they're carrying from at the last moment. Sheehan and Kelleher are very adept at it as well.

McCarthy's development as a second row could also be a great thing for Ryan Baird as well. It would see him settle on a permanent position at blindside flanker where hopefully he would also develop into a test quality player. He has freakish athleticism for a man so large and is already called so Farrell must see a lot of potential in him.

I think he played well at 6 in his last two matches. He's a very good lineout jumper which is another positive. He was the primary jumper against Ulster. Conditions were awful but he caught every throw. He has an excellent spring and gets into the air very fast. Don't think we've any real standouts amongst our other backrows. And obviously he's an excellent carrier. Getting him on the ball in slightly wider areas than a second row would carry from could be of huge benefit to Leinster and Ireland.

Not sure about Baird at blindside. It might work. There's massive talent at 6 right now! For me, Soroka will be the best of them. Rhys is still capable and Maloney could be a good player.

Then there's Doris, who is a very good 6. We are jacked at 6. It's nuts. I think that Baird could do well at 8? Although, he wouldn't get past the incumbents

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobb Sapp

Dawson on appointing the next coach:

Mick Dawson: “The most important thing going forward is to secure Leo Cullen. Leo will have the major influence on who comes in to fill that role.”

Mick Dawson: “Be clear on one thing, the history of Leinster Rugby will treat Leo Cullen and Stuart Lancaster very well.”

article in the 42

I'm hoping it's an Irish lad. Carolan or McNamara would do well, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

McNamara looks like an excellent coach; I was thinking all along that he was the obvious successor when Lancaster eventually did finish up. But what do you do with Goodman, who has just come in as backs/attack coach, if McNamara did come on board?

Would McNamara be prepared to come in as defence coach? I think he did coach defence for a time for North Harbour in NZ.

Someone to do extra stuff with the forwards might be needed then as well.

• Advertisement

I thought Baird had a really solid game on Friday night. Beyond the lineout work you mentioned, his defense was excellent. Made a couple of huge hits, including one forcing a knock on from Timoney (who had a poor outing).

I think he adds a lot as a 6.

Versatility is good for players in terms of getting you into match squads, but it's usually as a bench player. I think it gets to a point where a young player benefits from focusing on a specific position, and this could be the season for Baird to focus on this shirt.

Advertisement