Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

Same, it was packed. Great buzz around the place early as well. Weather definitely helped, but pretty much a perfect game to have as a kids/family day: 13 tries, some huge name players playing great rugby, brilliant atmosphere. If today was some of those kids' first experience of rugby it's safe to say they'll want to come back for more.

This is a ridiculous take; the hit on Byrne was a stonewall red on it's own. He's way late, zero attempt to wrap, and is clearly hitting up into Byrne's jaw. Van Rensburg had a high hit on Rob Russell early in the second half (around the halfway line, right in front of Anglesea Terrace), and followed the hit on Byrne with the high hit on Ringrose about 15 seconds later.

Sexton was absolutely right to be irate with the weak referee when you're seeing multiple teammates leave the field for HIAs.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Out of interest, what would happen if a player was involved in 2 yellow card incidents within a few phases that was then reviewed after?? Would they be sent off?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The red was about as stonewall as it gets, horrible tackle. Don't think the Baird one was an offence though, neither player had a hope of getting the ball in the position they were in so I'm not sure why we'd expect the Sharks player to be jumping. They both misjudged it resulting in a horrible collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Well a fantastic match. A lot of injury to worry about. I would not expect to see Rhys or Baird next week! Larmour could be out for a while.

Luke played well! He probably won't be available next week either. His head clattered off the ground. Maloney was impressive playing at 8. He's a feisty lad. Foley was also impressive.

Hopefully. JGP is back next week. Furlong too. We are being stretched right now. We're going to see Russell again with DK next week. If DK is fit! It will be a Mish mash side going to Galway. It could make for a great match.

• Advertisement

Agreed. I wouldn't be too bothered if Foley got a start next week in Galway though; I love watching him play. Had some really good moments tonight. He's such a good footballer in open play, a really balanced runner who picked some lovely passes tonight.

Even of the guys who are healthy, we've asked a lot of them too. Sheehan, Porter and Jenkins have racked up a lot of minutes so far.

Sheehan's athleticism is on another level. He's incredibly physical in tight exchanges, but has an incredible burst of speed as well. The moment around the 65th minute when he handed off the Sharks winger twice in quick succession was amazing (if he'd popped an offload off his right shoulder though before going to ground, Ringrose would have trotted in for his hat trick).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Its the end of the world as we know it.

And I feel fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

16,884 was the attendance. They all got value for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I stand by what I said. In the context of this season, the first half today should absolutely be causing alarm bells in the Leinster ranks. Yes, we won, and racked up a nice scoreline and we should be pleased with that. But I'm less optimistic about our chances of sliverware now than I was 24 hours ago, after seeing what the Sharks did to us in the first half. The same issues that were our downfall in May are very much still present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It would be the opposite for me. I don't remember the last time I was this impressed by a Leinster performance. I don't know if it's Goodman's influence, but the attack just seems more effective. The Sharks weren't able to shut them down. Leinster had too much power married with unpredictableness.

I like Foley's willingness to play from anywhere.

• Advertisement

I suppose it will be a different looking side for Galway. I would expect Ringrose to start and perhaps Foley. Conan will certainly come back in. Ryan to start also! They've managed his minutes well, so far. Maloney could sneak a start at 6. I would assume that Rhys is out for at least a couple of weeks? We'll be lucky if Larmour only misses a month or so.

If Kelleher is healthy, I would bring him in. Leave McKie on the bench. Sheehan could use a rest. Ala'Alatoa is really putting in some minutes. Maybe he gets a break if Furlong is healthy.

1. Byrne

2. Kelleher

3 .Furlong, if available. Vakh if he's not

4. Molony

5. Ryan

6 . Jenkins

7. Connors

8. Conan

9. JGP, if healthy, Foley

10. RB

11. DK, if healthy

12. Ngati

13. Ringer

14. Russell

15. JOB

17, Healy

16. McKee

18. Vakh/ Mike

19. SOB

20. VDF

21. Foley

22. HB

23. Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Really happy, not just with Leinsters performance, but the game yesterday. That was a great tussle and a very enjoyable match. The South Africans are transforming this league. For the better. Long may it continue.

On Leinster though, I’m glad to see our attack is coming on a good deal. I am a little nervous about the change to our defensive approach though. We’re less about connections and more about line speed and aggression. That’s leaving us exposed when individuals make bad reads/decisions. Far more than the last few seasons. There was nothing wrong with our defence the last few years so I’m not sure why we felt the need to change it. That said, when we do make good dominant hits it is enjoyable!

I thought Porter played well yesterday. Sheehan is really making a case for being first choice but has also played a lot of mins so far this season. Molony was good again and our back row did well given the disruptions there. Moloney played well off the bench and I thought Baird had one of his best all round games for Leinster.

Luke has gotten some criticism (warranted) lately but I felt he was very good in that first half. Foley then clearly stepped up and must be easily 3rd choice now. I wouldn’t be worried about seeing him vs Connacht. Sexton was superb. Guided us around the pitch and just doing what he does best, good decision making, timing and execution on the line. Ngatai continues to improve, and despite some defensive issues in midfield his overall impact was positive. Rob Russell also impressed for a young lad in a tough game like that. As for Ringrose, well, he was excellent again.

We’re building nicely now with a few guys to come back. Hopefully Conan, Ruddock, Larmour and Baird aren’t too bad. Larmour and Baird in particular looked bad, but all 4 were out walking the pitch around after the game so fingers crossed. I didn’t see McGrath afterwards though. Hope I just missed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

What happened yesterday is exactly what leinster need from time to time. A second half where they needed to turn things around. Our issues from some of our years past were that we coasted into the end of the season having destroyed opposition to the point that where we faced a challenge or had a bad first half in knockout games, we had no answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Possibly one of the best regular season non interpro URC games Leinster have played at home in a while. The fact it was in front of a full house on a cracking day is a huge win for the league. I'm feeling quite good about the URC.

It's just relentless negativity, which isn't backed up by the actual facts. You keep claiming we were "physically dominated", but there isn't anything to actually back up that statement. The Sharks were fortunate to be a point behind at half time, and scored two random piece of brilliance tries in the second half, from virtually their only forays into our half. We systematically ripped through multiple times, and picked them apart with some excellent passing and kicking. You choose to ignore all of this, and just constantly talk down Irish teams. It's tiresome.

There will be big forward packs that may get on top of Leinster. But that's rugby. It's how to deal with these large packs. Leinster are getting better at this.

It's brilliant that a young lad comes on for Ruddock and holds his own, despite the fact that he's got so little experience. Connors started his 1st match in a long time and did quite well. No Conan either! Very strong performance from the forwards. All of them played well.

There is the backline injury crisis to worry about. My guess is that we'll see more of Russell and MOR over the next couple of weeks.

Despite Ringrose's brilliance, I thought JOB played great. He is a quality player and he can play anywhere in the backline. Ngati looks to be a smart bit of business. He will spell Henshaw and Ringrose and looks really capable.

On Lancastet leaving, dows anyone think that Noel Mac will return? Would that be the way to go, or will Leinster look elsewhere?

There's also the possibility that Connacht could enter the fray. I think they'll be looking for a head coach too!

I wasn't surprised it was a red, but I don't think there was sufficient force for it to be a red. You often hear ref's talking about level of force when seeking mitigation or lack thereof but in this instance the recoil from Byrne was quite minor, it was late and high but the impact wasn't significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭ersatz

Leinster coming out the wrong side against big packs has been their Achilles heel for years and seeing a game like this one early in the season where they have to deal with that is the best news I've seen in a long time. That they'll have to deal with this issue several times a season in the regular league bodes very well for dealing with same in Europe. Teams who can't come to terms with the Saffer's strengths are going nowhere from now on in the league, and even making it to Europe will depend on having a fully rounded game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thought Connors put in some really strong tackles, just stops guys dead. And JOB was Keenan-esque in that game, claimed everything that was kicked at him often in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I don't think Noel MacNamara would fit the need at Leinster. While his title at the Sharks is the same as Lancaster's at Leinster he almost certainly has a different role.

He is primarily a backs/attack coach.

Lancasters main responsibility seems to be defense and elements of the forwards coach role. Sean O'Brien in his role as contacts skills coach assists the defense coach portion of Lancaster's job.

As far as I can tell Andrew Goodman will be at Leinster next season and is Leinster's backs/attack coach.

Robin McBryde's is the Leinster scrum coach and does elements of the normal forwards coach role. His contract is up at the end of the season.

Leo Cullen is the head coach and I believe he also does elements of the normal forwards coach role. He is on a rolling 1 year contract.

Leinster should be making the recruitment decisions about all 3 of these coaches at the same time when determining who they want to recruit.

Personally I am happy to keep Leo has head coach although I'd consider moving him into a more Director of Rugby role. I'd be targeting John Plumtree who is currently the forwards coach of an NPC cup side on a voluntary basis as Senior Coach/Forwards coach.

I'd also recruit a scrum coach and promote Sean O'Brien from contact skills to defense coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think Goodman will be difficult to pass over if Leinster perform better this year than they did last season.

It would be a shame to miss out on such a clearly excellent technical attack coach as McNamara, though.

Not sure about SOB as a coach? Not a fan of McBryde either. I would like to see an Irishman get the role. I wouldn't mind Carolan! I hope Leo stays. I think he's so low key and has a perfect personality for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Not sure about what exactly about Sean O Brien as a coach and his role is contact skills, Whats your issue with SOB on this?

why not in favour of McBride?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

McBryde probably suffers from his position in the set up. As I said above he is the scrum coach and he does elements of the forwards coach job. Everyone gives Leo and Lancaster credit for the good bits of the forwards and blames McBryde for the bad bits. No one really knows unless they are on the inside.

I wouldn't give Leinster top marks as a scrummaging unit given the quality of players available.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

I've always been mystified as to why 'level if force' is considered.

If the intention of the Law change is to minimise the risk of injury then action not outcome should be the main, if not the only, consideration. Lessening the number of high injury risk situations , and not mitigating the sanctions, has to be the focus.

On McBryde I don't think our scrum is as strong as it should be. No problem with O'Brien. Just think he's going to be a good coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So both Fogarty and McBryde are failing to get the best out of our clearly excellent scrum. Though the players can’t be at fault and neither can some peoples expectations of our forwards?

Very interesting take. I wonder is there a possibility. That as good as our forwards are. They are not and never will be a massively dominant scrummaging unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ahh good on you TRC. Another spin of the old roulette wheel of negativity just for the sake of it.

So let me provide something you failed to do. Context and stats. In terms of analysis in Irish rugby a contact collision is graded as won, drawn or lost based on whether or not the meter is made, lost, or you hit the deck on the gainline.

Leinster had 58 carries into contact in the first half. They won 40, drew 15 and lost 3

Sharks had 41 carries into contact in the first half. They won 22, drew 13 and lost 6

So this is an undeniable picture of Leinster getting better front foot ball on attack and denying Sharks the same on their ball. Over 70% gainline success on attack while keeping your opposition to 50% is actually a very impressive stat.

Leinster attempted 3 mauls in the first half and made ground on 2.

Sharks attempted 3 mauls and made ground on none.

Leinster had 2 scrums and conceded a penalty on 1.

Sharks had 1 scrum and retained possession.

The big issue is the Sharks cut us open quite easily. 2 of their tries came from moves which were nothing to do with physical dominance and more to do with a worrying disconnect from our backline. Something we equally saw in other games this year.

Sharks edged us on the breakdown with some positive and impressive steals. Each of these steals came directly off the back of a won collision by Leinster. This was not about physicality and more on poor resourcing of the supporting player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Ah go away with your stats and solid reasoning, we need more of TRC’s blind negativity on here.

Advertisement