Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Rte reporting elite athletes will not have to undergo quarantine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Rte reporting elite athletes will not have to undergo quarantine

Yep https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2021/0412/1209290-elite-athletes-may-receive-quarantine-exemption/

Bonus news with a trial game for 2,000 supporters in the RDS in what could be as soon as May subject to government approval around the plan.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-rugby-announce-plans-for-rapid-antigen-testing-pilot/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I hadn't done an in depth lookback and analysis (in the loosest sense of the word...) of a game in a few weeks. I was going to do one for Munster but never got around to it. But the Exeter re-watch was just too enjoyable not to fawn on about how great we are.

This was a top tier Leinster European performance. I'd have it up there but not better than the likes of Toulouse '06, Clermont '12. I can't help but think history wont be as kind to this one just due to the nature of this season and how pissed off people are with the restructuring and cancellation of everything. So I'm putting it on record here so I can come back in 10 years  and say that Covid bedamned - this was one of the finest knockout performances by Leinster.

Exeter are a team that I have huge admiration for. They're a great example and story about how great coaching and a genuine culture can have you hitting much higher heights than one would expect. They are undoubtedly better than the sum of their parts and have built a winning formula based on wearing teams down and not blinking first. Unfortunately for them - so did Leinster.

This game was won almost exclusively in 2 areas. The first was raw, uncompromising, brutal defence in the tighter channels. Assuming a completed tackle can be graded as Impact, Effective or Soak, you'd generally expect more tackles in the soak category as opposition won the collision gainline, with a smattering of Effectives of no ground won or lost and a few Impacts of driving people back for good measure. The stat nerd in me would pay good money to see how Leinsters Impact and effective tackles compared to both their previous games and their peers. Because I'd wager it was a lot higher than normal. The Exeter boys were absolutely pummeled time and again.

The second area was an area we have not seen from Leinster this season at all and I had begun to wonder if it was an area we were just never going to see again - The jackal. Leinster this year have rarely committed to the ruck instead preferring to keep 14-15 men on their feet in the D line. Clearly this is tactical as they back their defence to keep pressure so the oppo makes a mistake rather than falling foul of probably the most subjective area of the current game. It goes back to my blink first mentality above. I read a great stat that Dave Kearney had the most turnovers for Leinster for a portion of this season which shows where Leinsters breakdown focus was.

Leinster knew that Exeter could and would keep the ball for 80 minutes if they let them. The only way they were getting that ball back was to go for the poach. And poach they did with Henshaw, Kelleher, VDF, Ruddock and Conan all coming good with important steals in zones where Exeter try to exert pressure (credit to Porter too who got in a great position for a steal but Exeter were pinged from the side - not technically a turnover but still as good as)

To look at some individuals. Ronan Kelleher has to be the first mention. This kid is dynamite. There isn't a hooker with his physicality on both sides of the ball in Europe and I'll fight you on that. His ability to stop big ball carriers with an already good head of steam is amazing. I think I might actually trawl through his tackles and see the sheer impact of them (feck it why not? I'll make a new post about lol) add to that how strong his carrying was and the fact he was flawless from the lineout and it's easy to consider this his best professional game to date. Here's to many more. Criminally not considered for motm which I'd have him as on rewatch.

I'd also like whatever Josh has been putting in his Weetabix this year. His carrying game has improved immeasurably and is a genuine threat now. He's blown over CJ and Simmonds in recent weeks. This is no mean feat. Combine that with his 2 steals and incredible 22 tackles (a full 7 more than his nearest team mate in Conan and 5 more than the second highest total in Johnny Gray) one of most complete performances we've seen at openside this season. Again, criminally overlooked for motm and even more of a surprise given Warburton awarded it and he was a dab hand at openside play.

Great to see how in form Conan has been too. He's back hitting the heights of the tail end of the 18/19 season when he was on of the standout 8s in Europe. He carried with such vigour the Exeter fellas didn't stand a chance. Some of the collisions yesterday were Lomu v Catt-esque and he was unlucky not to keep his feet after running them over. Absolutely superb game.

McGrath had a strong game. He's gone missing in these big knockout games when we needed him (thinking both times against Sarries) but not this day. Kicking was on the money - Leinster obviously wanted to keep ball alive and happy to let Exeter run with it.

Ross Byrne was immense. A bullishly physical game from him. Stubbornly getting back to his feet after Exeter tried to play billy big dick and rough him up and showed them how to properly send a message and pinged them back or kicked them over. His first 3 involvements were a massive touch finder for a lineout in their 22, followed by a superbly timed pass to release Keenan into space, followed by a touchline conversion on his wrong side. That's the impact you need in knock out rugby. Massive hits going in too. Old school dump tackled a player to gift wrap a poach for Josh. His skill set is so complete. His pass to Larmour for his second try was delivered off his left hand and sailed 30+ meters. He delivered an identical pass to release Lowe into space off his right hand in the same pass. No discernable difference in either pass selection - absolutely top drawer. He clearly instigated a pre planned exit strategy from an Exeter restart too when he released ROL with the inside ball. Exeter caught completely unawares when Leinster ran it from the 22. Crediting him with great game management there.

I have to give credit to Keenan. The 2 assists he delivered were so good and he made them look so easy. Incredible to see how well he can execute while playing at the pace he does. Setting up Larmours first try was lovely. No way it should have been scored as it was a 2v2, the way he arced outside his man to keep Hogg sat down before releasing Larmour was spectacular. Couldn't have timed it any better. And that offload for Lowe is just something we now expect from him. Excellent stuff altogether. Black mark for a poor missed tackle for their first try though. I've touted him repeatedly as the best 1v1 tackler among the backs but he needs to make those. Similar miss against May in the England game. But they were both very good finishes in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Yep https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2021/0412/1209290-elite-athletes-may-receive-quarantine-exemption/

Bonus news with a trial game for 2,000 supporters in the RDS in what could be as soon as May subject to government approval around the plan.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-rugby-announce-plans-for-rapid-antigen-testing-pilot/

All round good news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Much too progressive for our government. Will be rejected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Delighted about that. It could all be moot if Leinster don't make the final but whatever integrity this season's competition retained after the fiasco of the group stages (which of course weren't the organizer's fault), having to remove La Rochelle's home advantage in the semi final or to have a finalist withdraw from the competition would have been more farcical.

Would love to take part in that trial if it got the green light!

0:16 - Impact tackle. Conan hits low, Kelleher high. Manages to wrestle the player back for a loss despite 2 Exeter players latching. Jaw dropping strength and as good a start as you can ask for.

0:30 - Effective tackle. Exeter clean up a messy box kick and he swallows them up for no gain in ground

7:09 - Impact tackle. Exeter on our 22m line. Hits Francis low and drives him back a meter with help from Dev

9:51 - Effective tackle. Exeter going for exit strategy from their 22m. Stops Ewers dead on the gainline

19:42 - Tackle assist on a soak tackle from ROL. Immediately releases and poaches and wins the penalty from Exeter having to come in the side.

21:18 - Tackle assist from Conan scrambling after a half break off the back of an Exeter lineout

30:42 - Soak double tackle with Ross Byrne. Fights every step but loses collision

40:55 - Effective double tackle with VDF. Notable second shove after initially losing ground to drive them back and try hold up

44:42 - Effective tackle with good assist from Furlong on Exeter turnover. Probably needed to try disrupt a bit more here as pressure was on

45:27 - Effective double hit with VDF. Excellent involvement here as Gray came on at pace as Exeter looked to build outside our 22. Ball was slowed right down

48:00 - Scramble/ soak double tackle on Hogg who was on a meandering run off a Leinster deep restart

60:56 - Weird one. Technically a missed tackle. Wins the collision with a huge impact and VDF comes in. Then falls off it and VDF completes it with no net loss or gain of ground

That is a serious ratio of positive to negative/ neutral outcomes. Whatever about the Impacts. The Effectives are just as impressive as you could be forgiven for conceding the meter given our defensive set up at the time and the ability of the opposition. Not Kelleher though. Amazing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

0:16 - Impact tackle. Conan hits low, Kelleher high. Manages to wrestle the player back for a loss despite 2 Exeter players latching. Jaw dropping strength and as good a start as you can ask for.

0:30 - Effective tackle. Exeter clean up a messy box kick and he swallows them up for no gain in ground

7:09 - Impact tackle. Exeter on our 22m line. Hits Francis low and drives him back a meter with help from Dev

9:51 - Effective tackle. Exeter going for exit strategy from their 22m. Stops Ewers dead on the gainline

19:42 - Tackle assist on a soak tackle from ROL. Immediately releases and poaches and wins the penalty from Exeter having to come in the side.

21:18 - Tackle assist from Conan scrambling after a half break off the back of an Exeter lineout

30:42 - Soak double tackle with Ross Byrne. Fights every step but loses collision

40:55 - Effective double tackle with VDF. Notable second shove after initially losing ground to drive them back and try hold up

44:42 - Effective tackle with good assist from Furlong on Exeter turnover. Probably needed to try disrupt a bit more here as pressure was on

45:27 - Effective double hit with VDF. Excellent involvement here as Gray came on at pace as Exeter looked to build outside our 22. Ball was slowed right down

48:00 - Scramble/ soak double tackle on Hogg who was on a meandering run off a Leinster deep restart

60:56 - Weird one. Technically a missed tackle. Wins the collision with a huge impact and VDF comes in. Then falls off it and VDF completes it with no net loss or gain of ground

That is a serious ratio of positive to negative/ neutral outcomes. Whatever about the Impacts. The Effectives are just as impressive as you could be forgiven for conceding the meter given our defensive set up at the time and the ability of the opposition. Not Kelleher though. Amazing stuff

A friend of mine plays professionally and he mentioned a benchmark of 19% dominant tackles a while ago. To be honest I'm not sure if that's from his club coach or international coach, or whether it's position specific (he's a back row). Could ask him to elaborate more some time but he doesn't really like rugby that much so I try not melt his head about it too often.

A friend of mine plays professionally and he mentioned a benchmark of 19% dominant tackles a while ago. To be honest I'm not sure if that's from his club coach or international coach, or whether it's position specific (he's a back row). Could ask him to elaborate more some time but he doesn't really like rugby that much so I try not melt his head about it too often.

That's cool!

I'd imagine it's more position specific yeah. 1 in 5 tackles being impact is a pretty reasonable expectation for a back row.

But less likely or applicable for a 9 or back 3

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Following tests this morning, Toulon have announced that numerous players/members of staff have tested positive for Covid-19.
    The minority of posters who for some reason wanted their game against Leinster to be played, despite the news on the morning of the game, can reflect on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Watching back ,the defensive set from Exeter's lineout at 68 mins was immense. Up there with the goal line stand against Clermont for me. Lowe makes a try saving tackle sweeping across, Henshaw and ROL I think, make a massive double tackle driving them back. Exeter went from being inches away from scoring to outside the 22.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Watching back ,the defensive set from Exeter's lineout at 68 mins was immense. Up there with the goal line stand against Clermont for me. Lowe makes a try saving tackle sweeping across, Henshaw and ROL I think, make a massive double tackle driving them back. Exeter went from being inches away from scoring to outside the 22.

Agreed - It was the end of their challenge , you could see it in them for the remainder of the game.

They turned down a shot at goal and went for the Try and over the course of the next 5 or 6 phases Leinster drove them back 20-25m at tackle and breakdown.

You could see the energy just fade away after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Following tests this morning, Toulon have announced that numerous players/members of staff have tested positive for Covid-19.
    The minority of posters who for some reason wanted their game against Leinster to be played, despite the news on the morning of the game, can reflect on this.

Thomond isn't annoyed with you but he is disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I’m convinced VDF didn’t get MOTM because Warburton was picking it and probably didn’t want to be seen as being bias towards a fellow 7.

It was a brilliant set. Absolutely the making of the game. Exeters body language went down during this play and never recovered. You could see they were a spent force.

Once the ball went to ground (off what might have been a knock on from Rhys that wasn't spotted) Exeter didn't run on to the ball at all. Invited our lads to come at them and lose ground.

The tap and go they did next was a stupid call too. Should have kicked to the corner.

But that was a flex from Leinster. Exeter pride themselves on their pick and go and tight up the jumper game and scoring from it. Leinster drove them back 20 meters when they tried it. Great viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Another significant turning point was second half when Exeter took points from a penalty rather than kicked to the corner. I felt they had momentum, had scored a try easily enough from their last lineout in the red zone. If you want to beat Leinster that's the type of gamble they needed to take. I was delighted to see them take the points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Watched highlights again, Larmour beat 3 men and out muscled big Sam for his second try.
    Thought La Rogchelle got some very soft tries against Sale. Think we will have too much fire power for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭PMC83

Michael Alaalatoa to join Leinster from Crusaders according so some random Twitter image.

3a4tXKd

• Subscribers Posts: 41,659 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That would tie in with the "more famous brother" rumour that's been going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Is he a tight head? That wouldn’t be a good sign for Bent staying on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bit of a strange one if true that the first person to announce it would be a saffer account with 2k followers.

If it's true though, would be a super replacement for Bent. Would have preferred Jager out of the two Crusaders THs but ah sure he'll do

salmocab wrote: »
    Is he a tight head? That wouldn’t be a good sign for Bent staying on

No it wouldn't, but isn't it widely expected he's moving on?
    Cup lifting n all dat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Just confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sydthebeat wrote: »
    No it wouldn't, but isn't it widely expected he's moving on?
    Cup lifting n all dat

Well yes but he’ll be boarding a plane with salmo cab clutching his leg sobbing

Very decent signing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

How good is Ala'alatoa?

If he's first full strength 23 good then we could see Porter move back to loose head? Or to Munster probably.

Err..

Has it been confirmed that Furlong has signed a new contract?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

Clegg wrote: »
    How good is Ala'alatoa?

If he's first full strength 23 good then we could see Porter move back to loose head? Or to Munster probably.

Was about to write a post about how long it would take the closet racists/ protectionists to come out of the woodwork. Not too long ago you were arguing the same about the new boys in willow park 13’s after your protected upbringing on the A team all throughout junior school - Magic!

Was about to write a post about how long it would take the closet racists/ protectionists to come out of the woodwork. Not too long ago you were arguing the same about the new boys in willow park 13’s after your protected upbringing on the A team all throughout junior school - Magic!

Could you post this in English please?

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    How good is Ala'alatoa?

he'd be very very good for a 3rd choice tight head..... as hes pretty much crusaders 1st choice

swiwi would give us a better inside track on him

Advertisement