Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Strange match and was very similar to the Connacht game. I thought Leinster were far more dominant than the scoreboard suggested. Should have scored the bonus point try before half time but inaccuracies killed that. The lineout also malfunctioned again and ruined some excellent attacking opportunities.

I am happy about Leinsters forward dominance though. It's clear that Jenkins has brought an extra edge to the pack. We won a lot of collisions and our attacking and defensive maul was utterly excellent.

Post edited by Clegg on

I think you mean Jennings! 😀 ............................ 😚Or even Jenkins!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

We are so very light at hooker.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

McKee has looked good any time I've seen him. I don't understand why he's not trusted for a 5 minute cameo. They're flogging Sheehan, an international with limited minutes. If Kelleher is out for much longer they're going to have to start playing alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

4 hookers in the senior squad 2 in the academy.

3 capped internationals, 2 of which are on medium to long term injuries and 1 short term signing.

I like McKee (academy hooker) and think he deserves a better chance.

That said when Worcester went into administration I went looking at Niall Anette (who I thought might be injury cover for us) but then I realised he had left during the summer.

I don't think we're light at hooker tbh. We've two test quality players, one of whom was brought on a Lions Tour, albeit as a development player. We can't expect quality in every position, but we've a lot at hooker. Just unfortunate that Kelleher is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not having Treacy is hurting us a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I don't mean if everyone was fit. But right now, our two of our first thee choice hookers are injured and we're relying on our current first choice to not get injured on international duty. That's fairly light.

• Advertisement

Fair dues to Cardiff, although I always hate to see a team winning by 2 tries to 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

That's why we signed tadhg McElroy.

McKee probably start against Scarlets next week and I reckon will go fine.

A place in the starting 15 probably needs to be made for Frawley soon. He's just a classy footballer. Operates at a high level in multiple positions and doesn't seem to let anything faze him. Was excellent tonight in his running, passing and kicking.

A few years ago, he had mental lapses which led to passes going to ground fairly frequently. I think he has pushed that out of his game now.

He's the player putting his hand up most as Sextons potential successor. Doesn't have as much time at 10 as others, but is playing at a higher level regardless.

I just want to say that the attendance of 45.5 thousand was a pleasant surprise.

I was expecting 40ish and had read a lot of naysayers predicting 35ish.

The aviva match was a financial success imo.

Good crowd for the Sharks game a few weeks ago too. Seems like there's a growing interest in attending games again.

Leinster are playing some attractive, if inaccurate rugby. Which always helps.

Team for next week will be young and fairly inexperienced. McKee should start and I would like to see Milne and Clarkson involved. Penny should play as should Deegan. Rhys will hopefully be back. We might get a look at Deeny also. Another lad who I think has a lot of potential.

Russell, Dk and MOR for the back 3. Should be interesting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Annett managed to get red carded as an unused sub in his first game. Not the most auspicious start.

Rewatched the game. The scoreline really didn't reflect the dominance Leinster exerted, especially in that first half.

Leinster played a powerful carrying game and quickly shifted the ball to the backs when the Munster defensive line was retreating. The backs found further gaps, made more metres and then we reset with another powerful carry or some excellent footwork by a forward to break the line. The first 15 minutes was probably the best attacking rugby Leinster have played this season. Jenkins has been a huge addition in the power stakes.

If we can resolve the inaccuracies seen when it comes to actually scoring in the 22 we'll be in good stead for Europe. That might require the return of Keenan and Lowe however.

On another note, Doris was man of the match. Closely followed by Ringrose. He outshone every forward on the pitch today. Seems to get better closer to the end of the game too. Superb athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

The Leinster coach was then asked, was a yellow enough? He replied: “What do you think?” before continuing “I’m curious, I’ll find out exactly what the official line is on it. “We’ll find out. Again, there are lots of decisions in the game, which I’ll always ask the question because I honestly don’t know.

“There are certain things that happened in the game I’m questioning, so I’ll ask that array of questions like we normally would. There was a lot in that game, lots going on, certain things I’m thinking ‘why are we not getting these calls? Why are certain calls going against us?’ We’ll ask the questions.”

Shout out to Penny and Deegan. They filled in for VDF and Baird more than adequately.

The former made some great wider carries and the latter did good work in the tight. I'd have no problem seeing them start on Europe if it came down to it.

Jamie Osborne also had a strong game while he was on the pitch. I read on Babbling Brook about a coach in the Leinster set up rating him as one of the best prospects he's ever seen at the province. I can well believe that's true. He's still just 20 years old and has already made 21 appearances for the senior side.

He was a fullback at u20 level; has played most of his professional rugby at outside centre, but played on the wing last night. Made a good fist of it. Left his side and run good trailing lines into midfield and to good carries off of pop passes from Sexton/Henshaw. Liam Turner did that against Connacht last week and James Lowe does it constantly. It's clear we have a blueprint of how we want our wings to play and they're drilled very well in how to do it.

• Advertisement

Deegan was immense, imo. Very good shift. Penny adds to the team too. He's dynamic with the ball. At this stage, I don't have a lot of faith in Healy. He looks gassed by the 20 minute mark. I reckon he will struggle to keep his place in the national team. I would select Loughman over him.

Is Sheehan the cause of the line out woes? It's problematic and has been this past few weeks. I think Molony is out best line out operator and that may have put the yips onto Sheehan yesterday.

Next weeks team will be interesting. These fixtures are my favorite! The new kids on the block getting a run. Hopefully, we get a great performance.

Remember it was Healy's first start of the season.

That said I do agree that his fitness and role will need to be managed for Leinster. He may primarily be reduced to being a substitute option.

That's not bad for Leinster per say as they know he won't last forever anyway. All starts that aren't Porter can be given to Byrne or Milne.

While I'd give him the bench spot for the big games for Ireland at the moment I think Loughman should get a start in the Fiji game (and New Zealand A).

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DelMcG

It pissed me off the way they did it AFTER the STH pre-sale but bringing the game forward to 5:15 went a long way towards boosting the crowd.

Obviously the earlier kickoff suits Munster fans with the long drive home but what struck me too was how many families were at the match yesterday, and big family groups at that. Absolutely loads of kids at the game, which is great to see. There wouldn't have been nearly as many with a 7:30 kickoff.

The attendance was very good. Probably better than what was expected.

Baird could be back this week. No update on Kelleher and Treacy! We're really at a crossroads for hooker. DK wasn't mentioned. I would guess that Osborne is out for Friday. Ruddock cleared to step up training.

Didn't realize this week was a short turnaround. It's almost November and the break should see lads recuperate. Of course, there's no telling how many injuries we'll pick up during the international window.

The match v Chile, will Leo send out a youthful team? Surely it's a chance for the likes of Brownlee and Culhane?

I'd say you could expect to see a quasi schools / U19s team face Chile. No way they'll risk front liners there surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

it will be an A side essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Id say you will see a side similar to the one that took on Harlequins in the pre-season friendly at the beginning of September.

You'd think that Hanan, O'Brien and Turner would be involved. I doubt Hanan will get a contract with Jack Boyle on his heels and with Milne healthy.

Turner is a lad who could be a decent player but, he's on a squad that's very deep at outside center. At best he's 3rd choice. He's probably going to look elsewhere for playing time. Unless he impresses over the course of the season.

• Advertisement

Have heard rumours that Jack Boyle has a younger brother who is a back row at present and is supposed to be a physical freak at his age level.

Advertisement